Old 08-03-2008, 08:38 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Default Problems with ralink (rt73) wireless USB connection

Colin Paul Adams wrote:

I've freshly installed Fedora 9 on the (32-bit) machine, and I
discover that rt73usb-firmware is already installed.

So I went into system-network-config and tried adding the wireless
configuration. It seems straight-forward, but when I try to activate
the connection (I had to deselect the NetworkManager checkbox to try
this - what is Network Manager?) it fails to find IP information.

NetworkManager is a wireless networking manager. It assumes that you
might be using your computer in more than 1 location, which implies that
you might routinely connect to more than 1 wireless network, therefore
it tries to "manage" which wireless network you might connect to at any
given time.

If you only intend to use your computer with a single wireless access
point, you might want to consider using the network service instead.
But, be warned, while network *can* connect to properly configured
wireless connections, it was designed to manage primarily wired network
connections.

I use network on my desktop/server, and I use NetworkManager on my
laptop (where I now rarely use the ethernet cable) so when I travel, it
makes connection to *other* wireless networks a little bit easier.

When I first got my laptop, it came with FC6 already installed on it.
The first thing (OK, one of the first things) I did was try and use
system-config-network to connect to my wireless connection in the house.
Due to probably a number of different things (my playing with
configuration files, ipw3945 drivers, wpa-supplicant, and possibly even
a tug of war between network and NetworkManager) my wireless experience
under FC6 was less than useful. Only after 6 months of software
upgrades was I able to start to get reasonable connection rates on the
wireless. However, all of that changed on F9 when I upgraded. My
iwl3945 configuration works very well with NetworkManager (and network
disabled). Its still not perfect, but its *much* better than it used to be.

I checked the SSID and WEP key information (and I have other laptops -
a MacBook Air and a Sony Windows XP machine) working on the router.

How do I go about diagnosing the problem?

Look at your log files. NetworkManager logs to /var/log/messages for
me. There are also interesting messages about your hardware's drivers
when your system boots as well. the output from "lsusb" can help others
help you as well.

If your problem is that you've configured everything right, and its just
the access point negotiation that fails, the logs from your router might
contain useful information as well.

Thanks for all help.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 08-04-2008, 06:22 AM
Colin Paul Adams

Kevin> If you only intend to use your computer with a single
Kevin> wireless access point, you might want to consider using the

That is my situation (it is a bedroom desktop and I want to remove the
long ethernet cable trailing down the stairs and through the kitchen).

>> I checked the SSID and WEP key information (and I have other
>> laptops - a MacBook Air and a Sony Windows XP machine) working
>> on the router.
>>
>> How do I go about diagnosing the problem?

Kevin> Look at your log files. NetworkManager logs to
Kevin> /var/log/messages for me. There are also interesting

All it seems to say was that it could not determine the IP
information. (Also I had to turn SELinux to permissive mode - which I
think I will keep it there permanently - it is a real pain in the arse).

Kevin> messages about your hardware's drivers when your system
Kevin> boots as well. the output from "lsusb" can help others
Kevin> help you as well.

The latter is a little more informative, maybe.
It says RALink ... RT2501USB.

Under FC6 is said RT73USB.

And the device itself comes with a device driver for rt73 for FC4 (I
couldn't get it to work with FC6 - the instructions didn't match the
CD directory layout).

Kevin> If your problem is that you've configured everything right,
Kevin> and its just the access point negotiation that fails, the
Kevin> logs from your router might contain useful information as
Kevin> well.

Nothing there.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 08-04-2008, 06:44 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Colin Paul Adams wrote:

"Kevin" == Kevin J Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> writes:

Kevin> If you only intend to use your computer with a single
Kevin> wireless access point, you might want to consider using the

That is my situation (it is a bedroom desktop and I want to remove the
long ethernet cable trailing down the stairs and through the kitchen).

OK. Have you tried to get this to work with WEP turned off? Sometimes
removing complexity can help.

>> I checked the SSID and WEP key information (and I have other
>> laptops - a MacBook Air and a Sony Windows XP machine) working
>> on the router.

The Sony is using the router wirelessly as well? I assume the router
has a sufficient number of DHCP addresses to give out for your new
computer as well, right?

>> How do I go about diagnosing the problem?

Kevin> Look at your log files. NetworkManager logs to
Kevin> /var/log/messages for me. There are also interesting

All it seems to say was that it could not determine the IP
information. (Also I had to turn SELinux to permissive mode - which I
think I will keep it there permanently - it is a real pain in the arse).

More details from the log file please. It may help. When NM is
confused, it usually fails to determine an IP because it hasn't set up
to connect to the access point properly, usually because of some other
reason. Here the iwconfig and iwlist commands can be helpful.

I have not been successful at establishing a wireless connection using
solely iwconfig, but that may be because I need to involve
wpa_supplicant for my setup. You may have better luck.

What does iwconfig have to say about your wireless card?

no comment on SEL.

I use WPA Personal security at my house. AES encryption. The last time
I tried to connect to a WEP network, I was unable to (OK, that was back
in June). I'm not sure if that's been fixed since then or not, I
haven't had the opportunity to try again. No problems connecting to
either open or WPA networks though. Go figure. Can you try to set your
router to WPA or turn off security temporarily just long enough to run a
connection test? Are you running wpa_supplicant as a service? (if so,
try disabling it.) Is the network service still enabled when you are
trying to use NetworkManager?

Kevin> messages about your hardware's drivers when your system
Kevin> boots as well. the output from "lsusb" can help others
Kevin> help you as well.

The latter is a little more informative, maybe.
It says RALink ... RT2501USB.

I have been using an Intel 3945abg chip, so I have no experience with
the other drivers.

Under FC6 is said RT73USB.

And the device itself comes with a device driver for rt73 for FC4 (I
couldn't get it to work with FC6 - the instructions didn't match the
CD directory layout).

I'm not surprised. Much has changed since FC4. What do your log files
say about your wireless card during system boot? This is important
information to determine if linux is talking to a proper driver. What
does lsmod say about any wireless drivers that should be loaded? Is
there a line in your /etc/modprobe.conf file? Is the module loaded?

Kevin> If your problem is that you've configured everything right,
Kevin> and its just the access point negotiation that fails, the
Kevin> logs from your router might contain useful information as
Kevin> well.

Nothing there.

grumble. Need more details!