Old 08-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Frank Cox

Default subpixel LCD fonts smoothing

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 22:16:04 +0200
David Hláčik <david@hlacik.eu> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> whoa - i have just tried lastest ubuntu desktop to compare fonts smoothing,
> because i really hate sandy fonts on fedora 9 - and i have noticed that
> their subpixel fonts smoothing on LCDs is really wonderfull , like on
> windows vista.
>
> So i am wondering, how can this be realized on Fedora 9?

Install the Livna repository

yum install freetype-freeworld

Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
"David Hláčik"

So far, i have found on forums there is no difference. So after installing that freetype-freeword font smoothing on Fedora 9 will be same as on Ubuntu ?

Thanks,
*
David

Old 08-04-2008, 03:58 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 22:16 +0200, David Hláčik wrote:
> whoa - i have just tried lastest ubuntu desktop to compare fonts
> smoothing, because i really hate sandy fonts on fedora 9 - and i have
> noticed that their subpixel fonts smoothing on LCDs is really
> wonderfull , like on windows vista.

Having used all three, I can't say I've noticed Ubuntu being wonderful.
They're all about the same as each other, depending on the fonts in use
(size and the typeface), and your graphics driver. Web browsers add
another spanner in the works, as they often do their own font rendering.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 AM
"David Hláčik"

Well, so i have installed freetype-freeworld, i am attaching here screenshots with opened firefox - same page with Ubuntu*, and same page with Fedora.
If i can make to look Fedora looking like that, that i will switch to ubuntu because "smooth and good looking fonts" are really important for me.
*
Well i know very good, that Ubuntu is using its optimized "cairo" , but this is not about fonts, this is about way how fonts are antialiased and smoothed! (
*
Does that freetype-freeworld is also used for ubuntu fonts rendering? (or they use something speciall)
*
1) Fedora 9 screenshot here http://www.hlacik.eu/fedora.bmp
2) Ubuntu 8.04 screenshot here http://www.hlacik.eu/ubuntu.bmp
*
Thanks in advance!

David

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:58 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 22:16 +0200, David Hláčik wrote:
> whoa - i have just tried lastest ubuntu desktop to compare fonts
> smoothing, because i really hate sandy fonts on fedora 9 - and i have

> noticed that their subpixel fonts smoothing on LCDs is really
> wonderfull , like on windows vista.

Having used all three, I can't say I've noticed Ubuntu being wonderful.
They're all about the same as each other, depending on the fonts in use

(size and the typeface), and your graphics driver. *Web browsers add
another spanner in the works, as they often do their own font rendering.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. *I

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Jorge Fábregas

On Sunday 03 August 2008 05:22:07 pm David Hláčik wrote:
> So far, i have found on forums there is no difference. So after installing
> that freetype-freeword font smoothing on Fedora 9 will be same as on Ubuntu?

Well, it's not that straight forward. To simplify the matter, there are two
things: rendering engine (and how it is configured, e.g subpixel hinting
etc) and the other is the typeface itself So if you want to compare a
particular version of Ubuntu with a particular version of Fedora you need to
check those 2 things, at least.

Regarding the freetype world package...Once you install it you need to enable
subpixel hinting in your Desktop Environment (KDE or GNOME or whatever). In
KDE you need to go to Control Center/Fonts and then enable "use
anti-aliasing" and once there click "Configure" to enable subpixel hinting.

HTH,
Jorge

p.d Also you need to check if the dpi for your monitor is the same on both
distros...Google is your friend.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 PM
"David Hláčik"

Well i have same font sizes, same resolution, same DPI, LCD subpixel hinting full, still weird not nice
*
D.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 PM
"David Hláčik"

So, guys ...*what about now?
*
http://www.hlacik.eu/fedora_fixed.bmp
*
D.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 12:06:00 +0200
David Hláčik <david@hlacik.eu> wrote:

> Well, so i have installed freetype-freeworld, i am attaching here
> screenshots with opened firefox - same page with Ubuntu , and same page with
> Fedora.

As Tim told you, Firefox is a special case.

Load Firefox, type "about:config" into the location bar (without the quote
marks).

Change the following values as shown:

font.Freetype2.autohinted true
font.freetype2.enable true
font.Freetype2.unhinted false

Old 08-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On Monday 04 August 2008 08:54:00 am David Hláčik wrote:
> o, guys ...*what about now?
> *
> http://www.hlacik.eu/fedora_fixed.bmp

It looks nice. Similar to mine but then, this is a subjective matter

So... enabling subpixel hinting system-wide & firefox-wise did it for u?

--
Jorge

Old 08-04-2008, 05:58 PM
"David Hláčik"

Well, i followed tutorial to install ported rpms from ubuntu : http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=186789
and then also installed from livna freetype-freeworld.
According to tutorial freetype-freeworld only provides 2 patches to freetype i.e patented bytecode interpreter and subpixel rendering .

Actually it really interests me the way how fonts are rendered. As i understand correctly, Fedora does not have those "renderings" becouse they are patented , or not open?
*
To open discussion i found this :
*

*

David Tuner of freetype created some excellent patches which provide superior subpixel redering which very much improves the appearance of fonts. At one time, these patches were readily available and could be applied to the packages of the day. Since then, David Turner made the decision that these patches could infringe on patents and so since then, these patches have not been maintained and upgraded to the latest packages. The freetype portion of the patches does exist in current freetype packages, but is shipped disabled. Unfortunately, there are 2 other areas where patches are needed and these are not maintained: cairo and Xft. Without the cairo and Xft patches, I could not get acceptable subpixel rendering. Searching for the magic lamp, led to this howto, as I might want to implement this again, and I am certain that I will loose the notes. As every howto on subpixel rendering I found was wanting, this one probably is also.

Thanks in advance!

David