-   -   How to remove a user. Problems after firstboot crashed on F9 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/136751-how-remove-user-problems-after-firstboot-crashed-f9.html)

Nigel Henry 08-03-2008 06:28 PM

How to remove a user. Problems after firstboot crashed on F9

Having installed Fedora 9, I rebooted, and firstboot ran. Entered my Actual
name, then username, followed by password. After repeating password as
requested, firstboot crashed. It was late, and I'm not sure if the machine
was auto rebooted, or just locked up. Either way, when I next booted the
machine (and a lot of stuff skipped here) I ended up with a login screen,
which showed my real name, and hovering the mouse over my name said logging
in as djmons. That's ok, as it was the correct username, but entering the
password to login to Gnome just brought me back to the login screen. I use
KDE, so chose to login to KDE next, and got the following output.

Could not start kstartupconfig4.
Check your installation

This appears to be the result of firstboot crashing when setting up
user/password, as when I booted into runlevel 3, and tried to login as
djmons, I got the following output.

localhost login: djmons
Password:
No directory /home/djmons
Logging in with home = "/".

This is getting frustrating now, but su to root, and create a new user. I now
reboot, and the login screen shows one entry for my real name, and a new
entry for the new user I have created. Logging in to either Gnome, or KDE, as
the new user presents no problems, and can login to either Gnome, or KDE.

The question is. How do I remove the original user that was partially setup
before firstboot crashed.

If I run adduser, It says that djmons is already a user, but logging in as
djmons has no access to /home/djmons, as apparently the /home/djmons
directory does not exist.

How do I remove djmons, as a user from the system, so that he no longer
exists? Then I can recreate the original user (djmons), and hopefully be able
to access both Gnome and KDE.

I've never had such problems before with Fedora like this.

Is firstboot crashing a known problem?

Thanks for any help with this problem.

Nigel.

Aaron Konstam 08-03-2008 07:56 PM

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 20:28 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> Having installed Fedora 9, I rebooted, and firstboot ran. Entered my Actual
> name, then username, followed by password. After repeating password as
> requested, firstboot crashed. It was late, and I'm not sure if the machine
> was auto rebooted, or just locked up. Either way, when I next booted the
> machine (and a lot of stuff skipped here) I ended up with a login screen,
> which showed my real name, and hovering the mouse over my name said logging
> in as djmons. That's ok, as it was the correct username, but entering the
> password to login to Gnome just brought me back to the login screen. I use
> KDE, so chose to login to KDE next, and got the following output.
>
> Could not start kstartupconfig4.
> Check your installation
>
> This appears to be the result of firstboot crashing when setting up
> user/password, as when I booted into runlevel 3, and tried to login as
> djmons, I got the following output.
>
> localhost login: djmons
> Password:
> No directory /home/djmons
> Logging in with home = "/".
>
> This is getting frustrating now, but su to root, and create a new user. I now
> reboot, and the login screen shows one entry for my real name, and a new
> entry for the new user I have created. Logging in to either Gnome, or KDE, as
> the new user presents no problems, and can login to either Gnome, or KDE.
>
> The question is. How do I remove the original user that was partially setup
> before firstboot crashed.
>
> If I run adduser, It says that djmons is already a user, but logging in as
> djmons has no access to /home/djmons, as apparently the /home/djmons
> directory does not exist.
>
> How do I remove djmons, as a user from the system, so that he no longer
> exists? Then I can recreate the original user (djmons), and hopefully be able
> to access both Gnome and KDE.
>
> I've never had such problems before with Fedora like this.
>
> Is firstboot crashing a known problem?
>
> Thanks for any help with this problem.
>
> Nigel.

If userdel does not work then one can use the brute force approach.
That i, rm the entry from. passwd, shadow, group and then remove the
home directory.

Tim 08-04-2008 02:41 AM

How to remove a user. Problems after firstboot crashed on F9

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 20:28 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> The question is. How do I remove the original user that was partially
> setup before firstboot crashed.

Command line: userdel
GUI tool: system-config-users

> If I run adduser, It says that djmons is already a user, but logging
> in as djmons has no access to /home/djmons, as apparently
> the /home/djmons directory does not exist.

You could try making the directory, changing its ownership to
djmons:djmons, then seeing if KDE or Gnome creates the files it needs
when you log in.

But it's probably easier to login as someone else, remove the broken
user, delete the homespace, and create that user again.

> I've never had such problems before with Fedora like this.
>
> Is firstboot crashing a known problem?

Haven't seen that, but have seen something similar when I decided to see
what would happen if I created a user outside of /home. I entered a
different path into the gadget in system-config-users, one that did have
all the right SELinux contexts set up (for user homespaces), in advance.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Nigel Henry 08-04-2008 11:43 AM

On Monday 04 August 2008 04:41, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 20:28 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > The question is. How do I remove the original user that was partially
> > setup before firstboot crashed.
>
> Command line: userdel
> GUI tool: system-config-users

Tried that after Aaron suggested it, and recreated the same user with useradd
afterwards, but no change.

> > If I run adduser, It says that djmons is already a user, but logging
> > in as djmons has no access to /home/djmons, as apparently
> > the /home/djmons directory does not exist.
>
> You could try making the directory, changing its ownership to
> djmons:djmons, then seeing if KDE or Gnome creates the files it needs
> when you log in.

Well the /home/djmons directory did exist, and /etc/group shows djmons there,
but the permissions for /home/djmons were set for "User" root, "Group" root.

Simply changing them to djmons has resolved the problem. A confusing "at
first" problem, but as it turned out, dead easy to fix.

> [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

Thanks to both you and Aaron for the replies.

Nigel.