Old 08-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Anne Wilson

Default Live USB-stick format

I want F9 on a USB stick. It's 8GB, and comes with a few files concerned with
using it on windows, so I don't really care whether they survive or not.

Most of my hardware is not so young, and doesn't boot off usb sticks.
However, the EeePC should do - it does from a Mandriva flash drive. It lists
the drive, in BIOS, enclosed in [ ] which seems to mean that it is not
bootable, so I looked at the drive with fdisk. It says

Disk /dev/sdc1: 8120MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: loop

and that 'The flag 'boot' is not available for loop disk labels'

Obviously I've done something wrong, but what?

Anne

Old 08-04-2008, 02:51 AM
Bill Davidsen

Anne Wilson wrote:
I want F9 on a USB stick. It's 8GB, and comes with a few files concerned with
using it on windows, so I don't really care whether they survive or not.

Most of my hardware is not so young, and doesn't boot off usb sticks.
However, the EeePC should do - it does from a Mandriva flash drive. It lists
the drive, in BIOS, enclosed in [ ] which seems to mean that it is not
bootable, so I looked at the drive with fdisk. It says

Disk /dev/sdc1: 8120MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: loop

and that 'The flag 'boot' is not available for loop disk labels'

Obviously I've done something wrong, but what?

Best guess is that you formatted it without a partition table and/or
boot sector. Try "fdisk -l" as root and see if you get more information.

Anne

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 08-08-2008, 01:44 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Anne Wilson wrote:
I want F9 on a USB stick. It's 8GB, and comes with a few files concerned with
using it on windows, so I don't really care whether they survive or not.

Most of my hardware is not so young, and doesn't boot off usb sticks.
However, the EeePC should do - it does from a Mandriva flash drive. It lists
the drive, in BIOS, enclosed in [ ] which seems to mean that it is not
bootable, so I looked at the drive with fdisk. It says

Disk /dev/sdc1: 8120MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: loop

and that 'The flag 'boot' is not available for loop disk labels'

Obviously I've done something wrong, but what?

Anne

Dumb question - did you run "fdisk -l /dev/sdc" or
"fdisk -l /dev/sdc1"? The first form is the correct one, and the
second one will give strange results. From the output it looks like
you used the second form.

Mikkel

Old 08-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 04 August 2008 03:51, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I want F9 on a USB stick. It's 8GB, and comes with a few files concerned
> > with using it on windows, so I don't really care whether they survive or
> > not.
> >
> > Most of my hardware is not so young, and doesn't boot off usb sticks.
> > However, the EeePC should do - it does from a Mandriva flash drive. It
> > lists the drive, in BIOS, enclosed in [ ] which seems to mean that it is
> > not bootable, so I looked at the drive with fdisk. It says
> >
> > Disk /dev/sdc1: 8120MB
> > Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> > Partition Table: loop
> >
> > and that 'The flag 'boot' is not available for loop disk labels'
> >
> > Obviously I've done something wrong, but what?
>
> Best guess is that you formatted it without a partition table and/or
> boot sector. Try "fdisk -l" as root and see if you get more information.

/dev/sdc1 * 1 1023 8055071 83 Linux

Mounting the drive from a running system, I can see all the directories that I
would expect to see.

Anne

Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 08 August 2008 14:44, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I want F9 on a USB stick. It's 8GB, and comes with a few files concerned
> > with using it on windows, so I don't really care whether they survive or
> > not.
> >
> > Most of my hardware is not so young, and doesn't boot off usb sticks.
> > However, the EeePC should do - it does from a Mandriva flash drive. It
> > lists the drive, in BIOS, enclosed in [ ] which seems to mean that it is
> > not bootable, so I looked at the drive with fdisk. It says
> >
> > Disk /dev/sdc1: 8120MB
> > Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> > Partition Table: loop
> >
> > and that 'The flag 'boot' is not available for loop disk labels'
> >
> > Obviously I've done something wrong, but what?
> >
> > Anne
>
> Dumb question - did you run "fdisk -l /dev/sdc" or
> "fdisk -l /dev/sdc1"? The first form is the correct one, and the
> second one will give strange results. From the output it looks like
> you used the second form.

Mikkel, I'm away from home and from the laptop I used to do the install, so I
can't examine the history to find out.

Mounting the drive in a running system shows all the expected directories
under /media/Z Mate 8GB/DaneElec, and as you will see in my reply to Bill,
fdisk shows

Old 08-12-2008, 01:33 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Anne Wilson wrote:
Mikkel, I'm away from home and from the laptop I used to do the install, so I
can't examine the history to find out.

Mounting the drive in a running system shows all the expected directories
under /media/Z Mate 8GB/DaneElec, and as you will see in my reply to Bill,
fdisk shows

/dev/sdc1 * 1 1023 8055071 83 Linux

Anne

OK - you have the boot flag. The problem may by that there isn't a
boot loader in the MBR. It depends on how the stick was formatted
from the factory. You may need to install makebootfat to make the
stick bootable. I think there is also a way to do it with syslinux,
but I am not sure.

Mikkel

Old 08-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Bill Davidsen

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Anne Wilson wrote:
Mikkel, I'm away from home and from the laptop I used to do the
install, so I can't examine the history to find out.

Mounting the drive in a running system shows all the expected
directories under /media/Z Mate 8GB/DaneElec, and as you will see in
my reply to Bill, fdisk shows

/dev/sdc1 * 1 1023 8055071 83 Linux

Anne

OK - you have the boot flag. The problem may by that there isn't a boot
loader in the MBR. It depends on how the stick was formatted from the
factory. You may need to install makebootfat to make the stick bootable.
I think there is also a way to do it with syslinux, but I am not sure.

makebootfat?? It's a Linux partition, hopefully one could boot a rescue
disk, chroot to the stick, and grub install on the device. I'n assuming
that Anne checked for the presence of the /boot partition on the USB, etc.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 08-12-2008, 05:42 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Bill Davidsen wrote:

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Anne Wilson wrote:
[...]

You are correct - not one of my better days.

Mikkel