Old 08-03-2008, 03:30 PM

Default OT: Replies to newbies

Anne Wilson wrote:
> George, your tone to newcomers to the list often leaves something to be
> desired. People that know you don't take offence, but it's all too easy to
> scare newbies away. Please do be less critical and more sympathetic to
> them. :-) Who knows what they might contribute in the longer term.

ok. just where in hell was i being 'off tone'???

if you would read back thru thread, you will see that i was interested
in finding out what program rui [if that is what has brought this about]
was referring to. my using hex to relate to what i was seeing in his
reply was not meant to be offensive and because i do not have keyboard
set up to print special marks, i used what i did.

from what poc posted, i do not believe that i was being offensive, nor
do i believe that poc did, nor was.

it seems to me that you are one who is taking offense. and i may be
wrong in relating to thread. you should be more specific.

i do admit that there may be times when my replies may not be all
'candy and ice cream', but i have tried to be polite. sometime,
satirical maybe, but usually not.

when not, it may be because of more important matters, primarily due
to fact that my mom is 93 years old and in last stages of her death.
yet this is not a just reason for me to be 'off tone' to any one.

because of this, i do reread every email i send, because i am very much
aware of conditions and i do not care to pass any ill feelings out to
this or any other list.

when i do see that something that i write may be offensive, i do make
note of it then or later if i see how i may have been offensive.

and, as i said, i do not wish to offend anyone on this list, and why i
am posting it because i do feel that if i have been 'off tone', i would
like to hear from those who i may have offended. and i do appreciate
you noting such. it just would be nice if you would explain where and
what.

now. i do have to tend to my mom and cut back yard so squirrels can put
away their pogo sticks.

i do look forward to any and all replies.

i thank you.

- --

tc,hago.

.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Björn Persson

söndagen den 3 augusti 2008 skrev g:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > George, your tone to newcomers to the list often leaves something to be
> > desired. People that know you don't take offence, but it's all too easy
> > to scare newbies away. Please do be less critical and more sympathetic
> > to them. :-) Who knows what they might contribute in the longer term.
>
> ok. just where in hell was i being 'off tone'???

Well that's one example right there. "Hell" and three question marks seems
somewhat rude.

> if you would read back thru thread, you will see that i was interested
> in finding out what program rui [if that is what has brought this about]
> was referring to. my using hex to relate to what i was seeing in his
> reply was not meant to be offensive and because i do not have keyboard
> set up to print special marks, i used what i did.

Instead of "so just what in hell is 'Mir[0xef 0xbf,0xbd]'???", I suggest that
you write something like "That seems to have been garbled and I can't figure
it out. What was the name of the program?" That would be a nicer tone and
would also help us understand you better. As you saw, I didn't understand at
first that you asked for the name. I tought you complained about a garbled
message.

Björn Persson

Old 08-03-2008, 05:55 PM

Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Anne Wilson

On Sunday 03 August 2008 18:55:34 g wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Your single-line reply to someone who has English as a second language
>
> was:
> > so just what in hell is 'Mir[0xef 0xbf,0xbd]'???
>
> well kafba. i thought i had done something wrong...
>
> > I don't find that polite, tactful, or helpful.
>
> your findings.
>
> because i used word 'hell'?
>
> or because i used hex notations?

Because Rui's offering was a helpful suggestion, and your reply implied that
something was wrong with that.

> > I approached you quiety, off-list, so that you could consider the
> > matter calmly.
>
> no need to approach me quietly. not when it regards something that
> i posted to this list.

Since you insist on making this public, I'll reply the same way, but I've no
intentions of flogging a dead horse.

> btw, quiety is spelled quietly, teacher.

I make as many typos as others.

Anne

Old 08-03-2008, 06:44 PM

Old 08-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, Björn Persson wrote:

söndagen den 3 augusti 2008 skrev g:

ok. just where in hell was i being 'off tone'???

Well that's one example right there. "Hell" and three question marks seems
somewhat rude.

Give me a break!!! "Hell" is used in every day conversation and the
question marks are for emphasis. Do you have a problem with that? If so,
why?

--
Bob Holtzman
"The best argument against democracy is a five

Old 08-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Les

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 17:55 +0000, g wrote:

Profanity in any public context is always rude, and unnecessary, as well
as unclear. If you don't have the vocabulary to express your
intentions, then at least be polite and just say "I don't understand
'the unclear part'".

We progress in life from the inability to express ourselves at birth
toward clarity at our death bed.

I hope I have been clear, but I also hope I am a long way from the
destination.

Regards,
Les H

Old 08-04-2008, 12:42 AM

Old 08-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Rui Miguel Silva Seabra

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 05:29:51PM -0700, Les wrote:
> Profanity in any public context is always rude, and unnecessary, as well
> as unclear. If you don't have the vocabulary to express your
> intentions, then at least be polite and just say "I don't understand
> 'the unclear part'".

"hell" is profanity?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hell

Rui

--
Pzat!
Today is Sweetmorn, the 70th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3174
+ So let's do it...?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:24 AM