Old 08-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Anne Wilson

Default 'Overlay' in terms of Live CD

Can someone please give me a quick definition of 'overlay' in terms of a
live-CD? I find lots of mentions by googling, but nothing that helps me get
to grips with it. I need to know whether I should set a large overlay if I
build from a KDE 4.0 Live CD with the intention of updating to KDE 4.1.

Thanks

Anne

Old 08-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Anne Wilson wrote:
Can someone please give me a quick definition of 'overlay' in terms of a
live-CD? I find lots of mentions by googling, but nothing that helps me get
to grips with it. I need to know whether I should set a large overlay if I
build from a KDE 4.0 Live CD with the intention of updating to KDE 4.1.

Overlay in simple terms is a additional storage layer. Everything that
you do as an update is stored in this overlay and more you do updates
and the larger they are, the larger your overlay size should be.

Rahul

Old 08-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Anne Wilson

On Sunday 03 August 2008 16:07:25 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Can someone please give me a quick definition of 'overlay' in terms of a
> > live-CD? I find lots of mentions by googling, but nothing that helps me
> > get to grips with it. I need to know whether I should set a large
> > overlay if I build from a KDE 4.0 Live CD with the intention of updating
> > to KDE 4.1.
>
> Overlay in simple terms is a additional storage layer. Everything that
> you do as an update is stored in this overlay and more you do updates
> and the larger they are, the larger your overlay size should be.

Thanks. That's more or less what I thought. Are you able to give me
any 'educated guess' as to the size I'll need? I tried creating the disk
with 1024GB, but since I seem to have got it wrong somewhere (separate
thread) I'll be doing it afresh.

Anne

Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 16:52 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I tried creating the disk with 1024GB

Surely not? A terrabyte?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:22 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 13:21 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 16:52 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I tried creating the disk with 1024GB
>
> Surely not? A terrabyte?

You mean terrorbyte, surely :-)

poc

Old 08-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 04 August 2008 05:22:24 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 13:21 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 16:52 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > I tried creating the disk with 1024GB
> >
> > Surely not? A terrabyte?
>
> You mean terrorbyte, surely :-)
>
> poc

:-) Sorry - seem to have a lot of typos/runaway fingers, these days. Still,
you knew what I meant :-)

Anne