Old 08-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Martin Sourada

Default printer sketches

Hi,

I've reworked the printer icon and added missing sizes. I've done two
slightly different designs. I attach 22x22 version, the rest can be
found at my fedorapeople page [1].

Comments welcome,
Martin

Old 08-03-2008, 07:02 PM
"Jiří Jakub Mašek"

Hi, I think that better is 22a variant, because it's near to how the printer works - the blank paper goes in from the top side..........

JJM

I've reworked the printer icon and added missing sizes. I've done two

slightly different designs. I attach 22x22 version, the rest can be

found at my fedorapeople page [1].

Comments welcome,

Martin

[1] http://mso.fedorapeople.org/echo/Devices/

I'm still learning English..
Mr Jiri Jakub Masek
(Jiř* Jakub Mašek)
Moravia, Czech Republic, European Union

Old 08-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

I've reworked the printer icon and added missing sizes. I've done two
slightly different designs. I attach 22x22 version, the rest can be
found at my fedorapeople page [1].

Maybe my tired eyes are at fault, but I find both of them a bit too blurry.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 10:14 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Maybe my tired eyes are at fault, but I find both of them a bit too blurry.

Do you have any idea/suggestion how to improve that (other than to
recheck pixel grid alignment)? Does that feeling apply only on the icons
I attached (22x22) or on the other sizes as well?

Thanks,
Martin

Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 AM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 10:14 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:

Maybe my tired eyes are at fault, but I find both of them a bit too blurry.

Do you have any idea/suggestion how to improve that (other than to
recheck pixel grid alignment)? Does that feeling apply only on the icons
I attached (22x22) or on the other sizes as well?

Only 22x22, even 16x16 seems crisp (maybe 32x32 is also a bit blurry,
but being larger it seems OK).

BTW, speaking of comparing various icon sizes, have you seen jimmac's
screencast about "one canvas workflow"?
http://jimmac.musichall.cz/log/?p=436

If so, what opinion have you about this, as you have a lot of experience
working with icons, could it be of benefit or the [possible] benefits
does not compensate for the additional work?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 10:41 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Only 22x22, even 16x16 seems crisp (maybe 32x32 is also a bit blurry,
> but being larger it seems OK).

Well, the main difference between >= 22x22 and 16x16 is the used type of
projection, which makes the 16x16 easier to make crisp. I'll recheck the
22x22 to see how I can improve it.

> BTW, speaking of comparing various icon sizes, have you seen jimmac's
> screencast about "one canvas workflow"?
> http://jimmac.musichall.cz/log/?p=436
>
> If so, what opinion have you about this, as you have a lot of experience
> working with icons, could it be of benefit or the [possible] benefits
> does not compensate for the additional work?

I haven't. When I first tried to play it I was on Rawhide and it was
sure way to bring my browser down. I didn't tried it since then, but
I'll probably look at it to see what it's about...

Martin

Old 08-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 10:41 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:

If so, what opinion have you about this, as you have a lot of experience
working with icons, could it be of benefit or the [possible] benefits
does not compensate for the additional work?

I haven't. When I first tried to play it I was on Rawhide and it was
sure way to bring my browser down. I didn't tried it since then, but
I'll probably look at it to see what it's about...

He provides various versions, including an OGG Theora. Basically is
about using a single SVG sheet (like
http://jimmac.musichall.cz/images/blog/twitter.png) for keeping the
sources for all resolutions.
This way is easier to reuse gradients or other resources and to visually
compare the icons.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 11:17 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> He provides various versions, including an OGG Theora. Basically is
> about using a single SVG sheet (like
> http://jimmac.musichall.cz/images/blog/twitter.png) for keeping the
> sources for all resolutions.
> This way is easier to reuse gradients or other resources and to visually
> compare the icons.

Ahh, that might be useful. Especially for the reuse of gradients. One of the
cons I can think of now is that you cannot effectively use Inkscape's Icon
Preview feature to check for not-so-obvious shortcomings. Also icon positioning
on the resultant canvas is not obvious from it.

Btw. I've played a little with the printer icon and came up with an
enhancement for crispness ;-) Check the attachment.

Martin

Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 11:17 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
He provides various versions, including an OGG Theora. Basically is
about using a single SVG sheet (like
http://jimmac.musichall.cz/images/blog/twitter.png) for keeping the
sources for all resolutions.
This way is easier to reuse gradients or other resources and to visually
compare the icons.

Ahh, that might be useful. Especially for the reuse of gradients. One of the
cons I can think of now is that you cannot effectively use Inkscape's Icon
Preview feature to check for not-so-obvious shortcomings. Also icon positioning
on the resultant canvas is not obvious from it.

With the icon preview I think you are right, it would be probably cool
if Inkscape would change the UI a bit and show the icon preview for a
selection, group or certain area.

I don't think the positioning matters - he uses a template with some
rectangles standing for the variously sized canvases and all the
positioning is relative to those.

Btw. I've played a little with the printer icon and came up with an
enhancement for crispness ;-) Check the attachment.

This one is, IMO, much better.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Martin Sourada

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 12:23 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> This one is, IMO, much better.

Just a notice that I've redone the other >= 22x22 sizes in that style as
well. I attach the current candidates for approval (only PNGs). SVGs and
the previous tries can be found on my fedorapeople page [1].

Comments welcome,
Martin