Old 08-03-2008, 09:39 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Default Disk error

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 22:20 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> It looks like that it is a problem with the DVD reader, bit it is bizard
> because I can mount the DVD with an installed linux by using the same
> reader !

That's not bizarre, it's just unlucky. Mounting the DVD only requires
reading a few sectors. Howver it could fail at some random future time
if anything tries to read a bad block.

Another potential cause is that the DVD itself is fine but the reader
can't seek as far as it needs to when doing the install.

And BTW *please* don't top-post! See how I replied below your message?
See how it makes it easier to read?

poc

Old 08-03-2008, 11:22 PM

Old 08-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Russell Miller

g wrote:

in trying to follow along with what poc has gone thru with you and
getting back to check sums, i am a little lost. i think. not sure. so
excuse me if i repeat something.

in reading check sums and having 2 dvd drives:

on which drive did you run sha1sum? running 'sha1sum /dev/sr0' on both
drives and both giving same results as when you checked iso file, will
verify both drives, if they match value from sha1sum file. have you
tried this? also, sha1sum will give you indication of drive ability to
read entire dvd.

Don't forget that some DVDs (particularly ones made by Sony) have some
deliberately corrupted sectors in them that will cause IO errors on
anything but an approved DVD player (they know to skip past them).

--Russell

Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 AM

Old 08-04-2008, 12:25 AM

Old 08-04-2008, 12:45 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 16:54 -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
> Don't forget that some DVDs (particularly ones made by Sony) have some
> deliberately corrupted sectors in them that will cause IO errors on
> anything but an approved DVD player (they know to skip past them).

You're thinking of prerecorded DVD movies, and the problem isn't the
physical sector but the deliberately incorrect index information in some
video files. Note that DVD drives in PCs can play these movies perfectly
well.

This has nothing to do with the case in hand, which is of a non-DRM DVD
data image recorded by the user.

poc

Old 08-04-2008, 03:09 PM

Patrick Dupre wrote:
<snip>
ok. we are getting closer.

now, cutting old history is making things easier, but there is still
some kind of problem with emails. here after, when you reply, put 1 line
space after what you are replying to. this should clear up what i am
getting on this end.

for these next questions, please answer *each* question and after each.

> sha1sum /dev/sr0
> 7675a64b7c57558a554aeb2be934e1e96bd36962 /dev/sr0

1] which system and drive did above come from?

}} on: 08/03/2008 07:19 PM, you posted;
}} sha1sum /dev/sr0
}} 780a625141cc355305c9631f08981eb632cac0b9 /dev/sr0

2] which system and drive did above come from?

3] what does you sha1sum file show sum should be?

after receiving above, and drive/disk info below, then more
answers suggestions to possible solution to your problems.

>> The media is -R, but when I bought it I choose a -+R.

use '+r' only. someone may have shifted a '-r' into '+r' section to
catch you. check container label, if it shows '+r' and you have '-r',
you need to return them.

**_do_not_** get r/w disk. they can go bad during reusing and are not
worth what you save. they are ok for periodic backups, but only if you
make 3 sets or do not mind chancing a loss of data.

mag tape is only dependable r/w media and even then you can lose data.

>> With K3b, I do not see how to check, no read option

[most all good and well written programs within a gui window will have
a 'menu bar'. any time you open a new program, check each selection.
this will help answer many questions and you do not have to on others.]

open k3b, select 'settings > configure k3b > devices' this will show
drive specs. note what it can read and what it can burn.

for cd/dvd disks, with disk in tray, in upper left of k3b, you will see
a disk icon and drive listed. right click on icon, note menu. select
'disk info', this information will tell you what disk specs are.

>> It is a NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A, but this not the reader which
>> makes problems !

ok. you need k3b on system that has drive giving problems or use google.
with k3b, do above information checks on it also. it is possible that
drive is not able to read dvd type that you have burned.

- --

tc,hago.

.