Old 08-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Anne Wilson

Default Disk error

On Sunday 03 August 2008 14:30:01 Patrick Dupre wrote:
> Hello Anne,

Patrick, on technical lists 'top-posting' is frowned on - it makes long
threads hard to follow.

> I did tried xcdroast and GnomeBaker. both gave the same, ie. a DVD with
> directories: images, isolinux etc....
> I did not find a way to copy a .iso from the hard drive to the DVD !

OK - that answers one question. Now the question of whether you have a good
burn. Let's start with the download. Did you follow the instructions at
http://fedoraproject.org/en/verify before burning? And did you tell xcdroast
to verify the burn?

One last question. Considering that you said it was an old laptop, have you
ever done an install from a DVD on that laptop before? I ask because I have
an old laptop and had to install from the CD set.

Anne

Old 08-03-2008, 02:35 PM

Old 08-03-2008, 02:38 PM

Old 08-03-2008, 05:07 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 14:02 +0000, g wrote:

> Patrick Dupre wrote:
> > It does a good job with fedora8 dvd iso !
>
> it could have gone bad between then and now. so burn again and prove
> what you have.
>
> do not forget checksum and do check google.
>
> also, before poc tells you, "please do not top post".

Beat me to it :-)

poc

Old 08-03-2008, 05:12 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 14:56 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> It does a good job with fedora8 dvd iso !

Was that DVD burned on exactly the same media you are using for F9?

poc

Old 08-03-2008, 06:33 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 15:00 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> sha1sum -c SHA1SUM
> Fedora-9-i386-DVD.iso: OK

All that means is that the ISO file on your hard drive is not corrupted.
It says nothing about the DVD copy.

poc

Old 08-03-2008, 07:01 PM

Old 08-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Patrick Dupre

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 15:00 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:

sha1sum -c SHA1SUM
Fedora-9-i386-DVD.iso: OK

All that means is that the ISO file on your hard drive is not corrupted.
It says nothing about the DVD copy.

poc

This is what I got:

sha1sum /dev/sr0
780a625141cc355305c9631f08981eb632cac0b9 /dev/sr0
--
---

Old 08-03-2008, 07:42 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 20:19 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 15:00 +0100, Patrick Dupre wrote:
> >> sha1sum -c SHA1SUM
> >> Fedora-9-i386-DVD.iso: OK
> >
> > All that means is that the ISO file on your hard drive is not corrupted.
> > It says nothing about the DVD copy.
> >
> > poc
> >

> This is what I got:
>
> sha1sum /dev/sr0
> 780a625141cc355305c9631f08981eb632cac0b9 /dev/sr0

I'm afraid telling us the hash value is of little use. It's either what
it's supposed to be (compare with the SHA1SUM file) or it isn't. If it
isn't, the DVD is bad. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Also, was the sha1sum run on the target machine or the source machine?
It's not clear from your earlier posts whether or not the laptop already
has a running Lnux system on it. If the check was run on the source
machine and passed, there could still be a problem with the target
machine.

Plus you still haven't said if you checked the *media*. The physical
composition of DVD blanks depends on the manufacturer and not all drives
work equally well with all brands. http://www.cdfreaks.com/media/ has a
lot of info on this kind of thing.

poc

Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Patrick Dupre

It looks like that it is a problem with the DVD reader, bit it is bizard
because I can mount the DVD with an installed linux by using the same
reader !