-   -   Installing from DVD image via ftp (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/136560-installing-dvd-image-via-ftp.html)

Tim 08-03-2008 08:59 AM

Installing from DVD image via ftp

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 08:35 +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> I tried the same URL from firefox on the server - SELinux jumps in, so
> it looks like that is the problem.
>
> I then tried System->Adminstration->SELinux management, in the hope
> that I could switch of SELinux, but I can't seem to do so.

If you really want to disable it, the option's on the first page of that
management tool.

Current enforcing mode: Enforcing/Permissive

Meaning that rules are enforced, or not. In enforcing mode, the rules
are enforced. In permissive mode, the rules are not enforced, things
are allowed, but logged.

The real solution would be to sort out the problem with loop mounting an
ISO and FTP serving it. But it's ages since I've played with FTP
serving. The last few times I've done network installs, it's been over
HTTP or NFS.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Knute Johnson 08-03-2008 03:48 PM

Installing from DVD image via ftp

Colin Paul Adams wrote:

Since the CD/DVD drive on a particular computer is unreliable, I am
trying to install via ftp.

I moved the Fedora-9-is86-DVD.iso image to the /pub directory of my
ftp server, and tried supplying a URL to point to it (I tried both the
image, and the pub directory as the URL). In each case, it appears to
be looking for a file /pub/images/stage2.img (or something like that -
I don't have the message in front of me right now.).

How do I set up bfor ftp install? I can't find instructions.

Colin:

I'm certainly no expert but I've done several installs now via http. I
copied the contents of my F9 DVD to my http server in a directory called
F9. Boot the target computer with the boot.iso and tell it to load from
the http server and directory. It is faster, even with a slow computer,
than loading from slow CDs.

I've never been able to remember how to mount an iso so that wasn't an
option for me.

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com

Colin Paul Adams 08-03-2008 07:07 PM

Installing from DVD image via ftp

Tim> On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 08:35 +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>> I tried the same URL from firefox on the server - SELinux jumps
>> in, so it looks like that is the problem.
>>
>> I then tried System->Adminstration->SELinux management, in the
>> hope that I could switch of SELinux, but I can't seem to do so.

Tim> If you really want to disable it, the option's on the first
Tim> page of that management tool.

Tim> Current enforcing mode: Enforcing/Permissive

Tim> Meaning that rules are enforced, or not. In enforcing mode,
Tim> the rules are enforced. In permissive mode, the rules are
Tim> not enforced, things are allowed, but logged.

Thanks Tim.

I did this, and it stopped objecting. But my machine no longer managed
to find the ftp server at all (coincidence I presume).

Tim> The real solution would be to sort out the problem with loop
Tim> mounting an ISO and FTP serving it. But it's ages since I've
Tim> played with FTP serving. The last few times I've done
Tim> network installs, it's been over HTTP or NFS.

So I used NFS (with the loop-mounted system). it's working fine.

There were some other problems:

1) Even though I specified askmethod and selected NFS, anaconda still
detected (and chose) a local installation medium (CD #1), so i had to
reboot and start all over again.

2) The partioning program had a bug, and I was given no option to
continue the installation (restarting the disk partition process
should have been fine), so again i had to reboot.

Still, I have my system now.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Tim 08-04-2008 03:04 AM

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 20:07 +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> 1) Even though I specified askmethod and selected NFS, anaconda still
> detected (and chose) a local installation medium (CD #1), so i had to
> reboot and start all over again.

I seem to recall reading that the DVD install media always wants to
install from itself. For network installs, I start the install from the
rescue media (a small CD-ROM image).