Old 08-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Colin Paul Adams

Default Installing from DVD image via ftp

Since the CD/DVD drive on a particular computer is unreliable, I am
trying to install via ftp.

I moved the Fedora-9-is86-DVD.iso image to the /pub directory of my
ftp server, and tried supplying a URL to point to it (I tried both the
image, and the pub directory as the URL). In each case, it appears to
be looking for a file /pub/images/stage2.img (or something like that -
I don't have the message in front of me right now.).

How do I set up bfor ftp install? I can't find instructions.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 08-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Colin Paul Adams

Colin> Since the CD/DVD drive on a particular computer is
Colin> unreliable, I am trying to install via ftp.

Colin> I moved the Fedora-9-is86-DVD.iso image to the /pub
Colin> directory of my ftp server, and tried supplying a URL to
Colin> point to it (I tried both the image, and the pub directory
Colin> as the URL). In each case, it appears to be looking for a
Colin> file /pub/images/stage2.img (or something like that - I
Colin> don't have the message in front of me right now.).

Colin> How do I set up bfor ftp install? I can't find
Colin> instructions.

I finally managed to find (by googling) some old instructions on
mounting the image on the loopback device. But despite evidence to the
contrary in the vsftpd.log file, it still says it can't find the
stage2.img file.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 08-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Antonio Olivares

> Since the CD/DVD drive on a particular computer is
> unreliable, I am
> trying to install via ftp.
>
> I moved the Fedora-9-is86-DVD.iso image to the /pub
> directory of my
> ftp server, and tried supplying a URL to point to it (I
> tried both the
> image, and the pub directory as the URL). In each case, it
> appears to
> be looking for a file /pub/images/stage2.img (or something
> like that -
> I don't have the message in front of me right now.).
>
> How do I set up bfor ftp install? I can't find
> instructions.
> --
> Colin Adams
> Preston Lancashire
>
> --

While I do not know if the advice below will help(or applies to Fedora 9), you may give it a try in the meantime, if you do not mind of course

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/ch-other-install-methods.html

Regards,

Antonio

Old 08-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Antonio Olivares

> Since the CD/DVD drive on a particular computer is
> unreliable, I am
> trying to install via ftp.
>
> I moved the Fedora-9-is86-DVD.iso image to the /pub
> directory of my
> ftp server, and tried supplying a URL to point to it (I
> tried both the
> image, and the pub directory as the URL). In each case, it
> appears to
> be looking for a file /pub/images/stage2.img (or something
> like that -
> I don't have the message in front of me right now.).
>
> How do I set up bfor ftp install? I can't find
> instructions.
> --
> Colin Adams
> Preston Lancashire
>
> --

While I do not know if the advice below will help(or applies to Fedora 9), you may give it a try in the meantime, if you do not mind of course

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/ch-other-install-methods.html

Sorry for the double post, but here is the newer guide for fedora 9 from install notes:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/ch-other-install-methods.html#sn-alt-install-method

Regards,

Antonio

Old 08-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Colin Paul Adams

>> Since the CD/DVD drive on a particular computer is unreliable,
>> I am trying to install via ftp.
>>
>> I moved the Fedora-9-is86-DVD.iso image to the /pub directory
>> of my ftp server, and tried supplying a URL to point to it (I
>> tried both the image, and the pub directory as the URL). In
>> each case, it appears to be looking for a file
>> /pub/images/stage2.img (or something like that - I don't have
>> the message in front of me right now.).
>>
>> How do I set up bfor ftp install? I can't find instructions.
>> -- Colin Adams Preston Lancashire
>>
>> --

Antonio> While I do not know if the advice below will help(or
Antonio> applies to Fedora 9), you may give it a try in the
Antonio> meantime, if you do not mind of course

Antonio> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/ch-other-install-methods.html

Antonio> Sorry for the double post, but here is the newer guide
Antonio> for fedora 9 from install notes:

Antonio> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/ch-other-install-methods.html#sn-alt-install-method

Actually, I had read that.

I am installing from F9 CD number 1, and specifiying the askmethod
option.

I have created a fedora9 directory within /pub for vsftpd, and mounted
the DVD.iso on it.

Then I spelect the URL method, and when asked for a URL, point it at
the fedora9 directory.

The vsftpd.log file shows the machine accessing various files withihn
fedora9/images, the last one being stage2.img. But the installation
program says it is unable to retrieve stage2.image.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire