FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-03-2008, 05:22 AM
"Jay Mistry"
 
Default FC9 install, ? Mainboard & Graphics Card Driver problem

I am having a problem with FC 9 (Fedora Core 9) install. The original thread is here: link. (reply no. 7).




For FC9 install:



Tried the install method described in this thread (reply # 5* & # 6 : Windows & FC9 Linux on separate partitions, with option to choose which OS to boot through the BIOS). [To do this, I disconnected the Windows HD (as I have 2 Hard Disks: 250 GB IDE with Win XP Pro & 500 GB SATA on first partition of which I installed Linux, after disconnecting the 250 GB IDE (Windows) drive) ].

The FC9 install (done with a boot FC9 DVD) itself went smoothly. After re-booting, I got the Fedora OS selector screen and booted into that, but then there was a display problem (use a 17" LG Flatron L177WSB Monitor) and the screen went blank with Error Message (provided by LCD firmware) stating: 'Refresh rate out of range" with a Vertical Refresh Rate displayed of 77.5 MHz). So, I re-booted, went into BIOS and chose the on-board VGA as the graphics display.

But got the same Error Message ("Out of range" or something similar) with the on-board display selected.

(System Hardware Specs are at the end of this post).


What could be wrong? I think Fedora 9 would not have got the drivers on-board/during install for the Graphics Card or the Motherboard/On-board VGA. How can one troubleshoot this? Don't know which drivers to get & how to install them, esp as Fedora simply won't boot up & there is no Internet connection available in Linux.


Hardware details:
CPU: Pent 4 640 (3.20 GHz) (Socket 775LGA)
*
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2 Mainboard* (nForce 610i chipset)


PCI-E Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 8400GS* (512 MB)


On-board Graphics: GeForce 7050 (specs as in Mainboard link above)

RAM (Memory): 2 GB DDR2 at 667 MHz *

OS (on 250 GB IDE (Master) HDD): Win XP Prof SP3


Guidance greatly appreciated.


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-03-2008, 06:12 AM
Antonio Olivares
 
Default FC9 install, ? Mainboard & Graphics Card Driver problem

> I am having a problem with FC 9 *(Fedora Core 9)* install.
> The original
> thread is here: link
> <http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=195664>.
> (reply no. 7).
>
> *For FC9 install*:
>
> Tried the install method described in this
> <http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174951>thread
> (reply #
> 5<http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=921525&postcount=5>
> & # 6
> <http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=921531&postcount=6>
> :
> Windows & FC9 Linux on separate partitions, with option
> to choose which OS
> to boot through the BIOS).* [To do this, I disconnected the
> Windows HD (as I
> have 2 Hard Disks: 250 GB IDE with Win XP Pro & 500 GB
> SATA on first
> partition of which I installed Linux, after disconnecting
> the 250 GB IDE
> (Windows) drive) ].*
> The FC9 install (done with a boot FC9 DVD) itself went
> smoothly. After
> re-booting, I got the Fedora OS selector screen and booted
> into that, but
> then there was a *display problem* (use a 17" LG
> Flatron L177WSB Monitor)
> and the screen went blank with Error Message (provided by
> LCD firmware)
> stating: 'Refresh rate out of range" with a
> Vertical Refresh Rate displayed
> of 77.5 MHz). So, I re-booted, went into BIOS and chose the
> on-board VGA as
> the graphics display.
> But got the same Error Message ("Out of range" or
> something similar) with
> the on-board display selected.
Jay,

you may try booting into level 3, as soon as the boot menu appears selecting Fedora press an (a) to append add a 3
then become root user
$ su -
password:
#
and try the following
# cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
# rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf -f
# exit
$ startx

If X does not start you might need to press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to return to text mode level 3. Otherwise it might work. You can then try system-config-display to reconfigure your card(either onboard or the other one whichever will work for you).

Report back if succeeded or failed so that others may help if my advice failed

Regards,

Antonio
>
> *(System Hardware Specs are at the end of this post).*
>
> What could be wrong? I think Fedora 9 would not have got
> the drivers
> on-board/during install for the Graphics Card or the
> Motherboard/On-board
> VGA. How can one troubleshoot this? Don't know which
> drivers to get & how to
> install them, esp as Fedora simply won't boot up &
> there is no Internet
> connection available in Linux.
>
> *Hardware details*:
> CPU: Pent 4 640 (3.20 GHz) (Socket 775LGA)
>
> Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2
> Mainboard<http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductI D=2714&ProductName=GA-73VM-S2>
> (nForce 610i chipset)
>
> PCI-E Graphics Card: XFX GeForce
> 8400GS<http://www.xfxforce.com/en-gb/products/graphiccards/8series/8400GS.aspx#2>
> (512 MB)
>
> On-board Graphics: GeForce 7050 (specs as in Mainboard link
> above)
>
> RAM (Memory): 2 GB DDR2 at 667 MHz
>
> OS (on 250 GB IDE (Master) HDD): Win XP Prof SP3
>
>
> Guidance greatly appreciated.
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list@redhat.com
> To unsubscribe:
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list




--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:04 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org