Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   FC9 install, ? Mainboard & Graphics Card Driver problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/136519-fc9-install-mainboard-graphics-card-driver-problem.html)

"Jay Mistry" 08-03-2008 05:22 AM

FC9 install, ? Mainboard & Graphics Card Driver problem
 
I am having a problem with FC 9 (Fedora Core 9) install. The original thread is here: link. (reply no. 7).




For FC9 install:



Tried the install method described in this thread (reply # 5* & # 6 : Windows & FC9 Linux on separate partitions, with option to choose which OS to boot through the BIOS). [To do this, I disconnected the Windows HD (as I have 2 Hard Disks: 250 GB IDE with Win XP Pro & 500 GB SATA on first partition of which I installed Linux, after disconnecting the 250 GB IDE (Windows) drive) ].

The FC9 install (done with a boot FC9 DVD) itself went smoothly. After re-booting, I got the Fedora OS selector screen and booted into that, but then there was a display problem (use a 17" LG Flatron L177WSB Monitor) and the screen went blank with Error Message (provided by LCD firmware) stating: 'Refresh rate out of range" with a Vertical Refresh Rate displayed of 77.5 MHz). So, I re-booted, went into BIOS and chose the on-board VGA as the graphics display.

But got the same Error Message ("Out of range" or something similar) with the on-board display selected.

(System Hardware Specs are at the end of this post).


What could be wrong? I think Fedora 9 would not have got the drivers on-board/during install for the Graphics Card or the Motherboard/On-board VGA. How can one troubleshoot this? Don't know which drivers to get & how to install them, esp as Fedora simply won't boot up & there is no Internet connection available in Linux.


Hardware details:
CPU: Pent 4 640 (3.20 GHz) (Socket 775LGA)
*
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2 Mainboard* (nForce 610i chipset)


PCI-E Graphics Card: XFX GeForce 8400GS* (512 MB)


On-board Graphics: GeForce 7050 (specs as in Mainboard link above)

RAM (Memory): 2 GB DDR2 at 667 MHz *

OS (on 250 GB IDE (Master) HDD): Win XP Prof SP3


Guidance greatly appreciated.


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Antonio Olivares 08-03-2008 06:12 AM

FC9 install, ? Mainboard & Graphics Card Driver problem
 
> I am having a problem with FC 9 *(Fedora Core 9)* install.
> The original
> thread is here: link
> <http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=195664>.
> (reply no. 7).
>
> *For FC9 install*:
>
> Tried the install method described in this
> <http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174951>thread
> (reply #
> 5<http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=921525&postcount=5>
> & # 6
> <http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showpost.php?p=921531&postcount=6>
> :
> Windows & FC9 Linux on separate partitions, with option
> to choose which OS
> to boot through the BIOS).* [To do this, I disconnected the
> Windows HD (as I
> have 2 Hard Disks: 250 GB IDE with Win XP Pro & 500 GB
> SATA on first
> partition of which I installed Linux, after disconnecting
> the 250 GB IDE
> (Windows) drive) ].*
> The FC9 install (done with a boot FC9 DVD) itself went
> smoothly. After
> re-booting, I got the Fedora OS selector screen and booted
> into that, but
> then there was a *display problem* (use a 17" LG
> Flatron L177WSB Monitor)
> and the screen went blank with Error Message (provided by
> LCD firmware)
> stating: 'Refresh rate out of range" with a
> Vertical Refresh Rate displayed
> of 77.5 MHz). So, I re-booted, went into BIOS and chose the
> on-board VGA as
> the graphics display.
> But got the same Error Message ("Out of range" or
> something similar) with
> the on-board display selected.
Jay,

you may try booting into level 3, as soon as the boot menu appears selecting Fedora press an (a) to append add a 3
then become root user
$ su -
password:
#
and try the following
# cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
# rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf -f
# exit
$ startx

If X does not start you might need to press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to return to text mode level 3. Otherwise it might work. You can then try system-config-display to reconfigure your card(either onboard or the other one whichever will work for you).

Report back if succeeded or failed so that others may help if my advice failed :)

Regards,

Antonio
>
> *(System Hardware Specs are at the end of this post).*
>
> What could be wrong? I think Fedora 9 would not have got
> the drivers
> on-board/during install for the Graphics Card or the
> Motherboard/On-board
> VGA. How can one troubleshoot this? Don't know which
> drivers to get & how to
> install them, esp as Fedora simply won't boot up &
> there is no Internet
> connection available in Linux.
>
> *Hardware details*:
> CPU: Pent 4 640 (3.20 GHz) (Socket 775LGA)
>
> Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-73VM-S2
> Mainboard<http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductI D=2714&ProductName=GA-73VM-S2>
> (nForce 610i chipset)
>
> PCI-E Graphics Card: XFX GeForce
> 8400GS<http://www.xfxforce.com/en-gb/products/graphiccards/8series/8400GS.aspx#2>
> (512 MB)
>
> On-board Graphics: GeForce 7050 (specs as in Mainboard link
> above)
>
> RAM (Memory): 2 GB DDR2 at 667 MHz
>
> OS (on 250 GB IDE (Master) HDD): Win XP Prof SP3
>
>
> Guidance greatly appreciated.
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list@redhat.com
> To unsubscribe:
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list




--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.