Old 08-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Ricky

Default How to recover root password

Hi,

I had a root passwd which was so secure that even i cannot remember it now, lol!

Can Someone help as to how i can recover it!!!!???

Any suggestions???

Regards

Vyas, Anirudh
|| ॐ ||

Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Thomas Cameron

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 19:34 -0400, Ricky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a root passwd which was so secure that even i cannot remember it
> now, lol!
>
> Can Someone help as to how i can recover it!!!!???
>

> Any suggestions???

Reboot the box, at the grub splash screen hit any key to halt the
countdown. Choose the kernel you want to boot to using the arrow keys,
and once it is highlighted, hit "a" to append to the kernel line. Once
you see something like:

grub append> ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet

Just add the word "single" to the end so it looks like this:

grub append> ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet single

Hit enter and you will go to single user mode. Once you are there,
type:

passwd

and hit enter. Set root's new password, and type:

exit

You will boot up with a new root password.

--
Thomas

Old 08-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 19:34 -0400, Ricky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a root passwd which was so secure that even i cannot remember it
> now, lol!
>
> Can Someone help as to how i can recover it!!!!???
>

> Any suggestions???
----
No easy way to recover the password but easy enough to reset the
password to a new password.

restart

when grub bootloader displays on screen, press the letter 'e'

use the arrow keys to choose the line that starts kernel

press the letter 'e' to edit

add a 'space' and the number '1' to the end of the line

press enter to accept

press 'b' to boot in runlevel 1

when you get the prompt, you are root, type 'passwd'

enter and then confirm your new password

type 'telinit 5' to get back to runlevel 5

Craig

Old 08-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Ricky

Many thanks guys, immma give it a try!