Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   no sound with totem (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/136420-no-sound-totem.html)

Bjoern Schiessle 08-02-2008 10:51 PM

no sound with totem
 
Hello,

on my laptop (Fedora9) totem plays all files without sound.

Installed packages:

# rpm -qa | grep totem
totem-nautilus-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
totem-gstreamer-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
totem-pl-parser-2.22.3-1.fc9.x86_64
totem-mozplugin-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
totem-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
totem-youtube-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
totem-xine-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64

# rpm -qa | grep gstreamer
gstreamer-plugins-pulse-0.9.5-0.5.svn20070924.fc9.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.19-2.fc9.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-schroedinger-1.0.3-2.fc9.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.8-1.lvn9.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-flumpegdemux-0.10.15-2.fc9.x86_64
gstreamer-0.10.19-1.fc9.x86_64
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.4-1.lvn9.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.7-1.lvn9.x86_64
totem-gstreamer-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
gstreamer-python-0.10.11-2.fc9.x86_64
gstreamer-tools-0.10.19-1.fc9.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.8-8.fc9.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-farsight-0.12.7-2.fc9.x86_64
gstreamer-plugins-bad-extras-0.10.7-1.lvn9.x86_64

I have tried a mpeg4 video file, a mp3 and a Ogg Vorbis file. For all
files i have no sound while other programs like rhythmbox and vlc can
play the files.

Any ideas what could be wrong with totem?

best wishes,
Björn

--
Support Free Software, join FSFE's Fellowship (http://www.fsfe.org)

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Aaron Konstam 08-03-2008 01:08 PM

no sound with totem
 
On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 00:51 +0200, Bjoern Schiessle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on my laptop (Fedora9) totem plays all files without sound.
>
> Installed packages:
>
> # rpm -qa | grep totem
> totem-nautilus-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> totem-gstreamer-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> totem-pl-parser-2.22.3-1.fc9.x86_64
> totem-mozplugin-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> totem-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> totem-youtube-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> totem-xine-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
>
> # rpm -qa | grep gstreamer
> gstreamer-plugins-pulse-0.9.5-0.5.svn20070924.fc9.x86_64
> gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.19-2.fc9.x86_64
> gstreamer-plugins-schroedinger-1.0.3-2.fc9.x86_64
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.8-1.lvn9.x86_64
> gstreamer-plugins-flumpegdemux-0.10.15-2.fc9.x86_64
> gstreamer-0.10.19-1.fc9.x86_64
> gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.4-1.lvn9.x86_64
> gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.7-1.lvn9.x86_64
> totem-gstreamer-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> gstreamer-python-0.10.11-2.fc9.x86_64
> gstreamer-tools-0.10.19-1.fc9.x86_64
> gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.8-8.fc9.x86_64
> gstreamer-plugins-farsight-0.12.7-2.fc9.x86_64
> gstreamer-plugins-bad-extras-0.10.7-1.lvn9.x86_64
>
> I have tried a mpeg4 video file, a mp3 and a Ogg Vorbis file. For all
> files i have no sound while other programs like rhythmbox and vlc can
> play the files.
>
> Any ideas what could be wrong with totem?
>
> best wishes,
> Björn
>From experience with other programs that did not produce sound I would
suggest you install:
libflashsupport
--
================================================== =====================
I'll turn over a new leaf. -- Miguel de Cervantes
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Craig White 08-03-2008 06:33 PM

no sound with totem
 
On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 08:08 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 00:51 +0200, Bjoern Schiessle wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > on my laptop (Fedora9) totem plays all files without sound.
> >
> > Installed packages:
> >
> > # rpm -qa | grep totem
> > totem-nautilus-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > totem-gstreamer-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > totem-pl-parser-2.22.3-1.fc9.x86_64
> > totem-mozplugin-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > totem-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > totem-youtube-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > totem-xine-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> >
> > # rpm -qa | grep gstreamer
> > gstreamer-plugins-pulse-0.9.5-0.5.svn20070924.fc9.x86_64
> > gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.19-2.fc9.x86_64
> > gstreamer-plugins-schroedinger-1.0.3-2.fc9.x86_64
> > gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.8-1.lvn9.x86_64
> > gstreamer-plugins-flumpegdemux-0.10.15-2.fc9.x86_64
> > gstreamer-0.10.19-1.fc9.x86_64
> > gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.4-1.lvn9.x86_64
> > gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.7-1.lvn9.x86_64
> > totem-gstreamer-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > gstreamer-python-0.10.11-2.fc9.x86_64
> > gstreamer-tools-0.10.19-1.fc9.x86_64
> > gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.8-8.fc9.x86_64
> > gstreamer-plugins-farsight-0.12.7-2.fc9.x86_64
> > gstreamer-plugins-bad-extras-0.10.7-1.lvn9.x86_64
> >
> > I have tried a mpeg4 video file, a mp3 and a Ogg Vorbis file. For all
> > files i have no sound while other programs like rhythmbox and vlc can
> > play the files.
> >
> > Any ideas what could be wrong with totem?
> >
> > best wishes,
> > Björn
> >From experience with other programs that did not produce sound I would
> suggest you install:
> libflashsupport
----
that's what we told you to do to get sound from youtube which is flash.
That isn't gonna help him a bit.

1 - install package xmms-mp3 (will play mp3)

2 - execute 'totem-backend -b xine' (should help with online mp4)

I don't know about ogg format files though

Craig



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Aaron Konstam 08-03-2008 09:10 PM

no sound with totem
 
On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 11:33 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 08:08 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 00:51 +0200, Bjoern Schiessle wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > on my laptop (Fedora9) totem plays all files without sound.
> > >
> > > Installed packages:
> > >
> > > # rpm -qa | grep totem
> > > totem-nautilus-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > > totem-gstreamer-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > > totem-pl-parser-2.22.3-1.fc9.x86_64
> > > totem-mozplugin-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > > totem-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > > totem-youtube-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > > totem-xine-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > >
> > > # rpm -qa | grep gstreamer
> > > gstreamer-plugins-pulse-0.9.5-0.5.svn20070924.fc9.x86_64
> > > gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.19-2.fc9.x86_64
> > > gstreamer-plugins-schroedinger-1.0.3-2.fc9.x86_64
> > > gstreamer-plugins-ugly-0.10.8-1.lvn9.x86_64
> > > gstreamer-plugins-flumpegdemux-0.10.15-2.fc9.x86_64
> > > gstreamer-0.10.19-1.fc9.x86_64
> > > gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.10.4-1.lvn9.x86_64
> > > gstreamer-plugins-bad-0.10.7-1.lvn9.x86_64
> > > totem-gstreamer-2.23.2-5.fc9.x86_64
> > > gstreamer-python-0.10.11-2.fc9.x86_64
> > > gstreamer-tools-0.10.19-1.fc9.x86_64
> > > gstreamer-plugins-good-0.10.8-8.fc9.x86_64
> > > gstreamer-plugins-farsight-0.12.7-2.fc9.x86_64
> > > gstreamer-plugins-bad-extras-0.10.7-1.lvn9.x86_64
> > >
> > > I have tried a mpeg4 video file, a mp3 and a Ogg Vorbis file. For all
> > > files i have no sound while other programs like rhythmbox and vlc can
> > > play the files.
> > >
> > > Any ideas what could be wrong with totem?
> > >
> > > best wishes,
> > > Björn
> > >From experience with other programs that did not produce sound I would
> > suggest you install:
> > libflashsupport
> ----
> that's what we told you to do to get sound from youtube which is flash.
> That isn't gonna help him a bit.
>
> 1 - install package xmms-mp3 (will play mp3)
>
> 2 - execute 'totem-backend -b xine' (should help with online mp4)
>
> I don't know about ogg format files though
>
> Craig
I agree that was a shot in the dark,, but since adding that file also made the audio from the npr
work and npr radio stream should not need flash as far as I can see so
I thought it was worth trying.

The fact is I have never gotten the totem from the fedora to work. I
always had to get it by installing totem-xine from livna. Now livna has
turned it over to fedora and it does not work for me. I did the steps
you indicate to totem several days ago and it still does not work for
me.


--
================================================== =====================
America works less, when you say "Union Yes!"
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Bjoern Schiessle 08-04-2008 03:27 PM

no sound with totem
 
Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> writes:
> 1 - install package xmms-mp3 (will play mp3)

xmms-mp3 plays mp3 files like rhythmbox which uses also gstreamer.

> 2 - execute 'totem-backend -b xine' (should help with online mp4)

i have also tried the xine backend with the same result: no sound if i
play audio/video files with totem. If i play the with other apps i have
sound.

This is really strange. Gstreamer should be able to play these files
with sound like i can see if i use other applications. But with totem i
have no sound on my notebook. On my desktop PC with the same packages
installed totem can play these files with sound. But i have no idea
where i should start to find the problem on my laptop.

best wishes,
Björn

--
Support Free Software, join FSFE's Fellowship (http://www.fsfe.org)

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:07 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.