-   -   Colour Cordination ?? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/136339-colour-cordination.html)

William Case 08-02-2008 07:14 PM

Colour Cordination ??

Hi;

Does anybody know of a site, tutorial or a manual that explains how to
get all my colour formats and equipment synchronized?

I don't have any major problems that are urgent, but I would like to go
about learning how to get everything producing colours as close to the
same as possible. I have googled and only found rudimentary info --
usually about printer test pages. I have printer test pages for both
CUPS and hplip. Wikipedia mentions "Color is a professional color
grading software application produced by Apple Inc. for their Mac OS X
operating system."

I would like to match the colours of the real world, my monitor, my
printer, my scanner and my internet browser as closely as possible. I
expect they will never be exact. I appreciate that it also depends on
the configuration of applications (such as OOo, Gimp and Inkscape) being
used. But I am assuming, before I make adjustments in those I should
spend some time getting my equipment right first.

My questions are these:

* What are the basic techniques for making fairly accurate across
device colour comparisons?
* How to ascertain (guess) which device needs the adjustment? If
I could adjust the real world, I would.
* Is there a manual that explains in some depth the various colour
codes that are used? I have played with colour on an ad hoc
basis so I am familiar with some of the basic codes, but I
suspect there is a deeper rational than I have learnt.
* Are there tools and specialized test pages that can help?

Remember, this not urgent. It is something I am going to work away at;
but any help, tips or guidance could prevent me and others who are
interested from wasting time on misguided irrelevancies.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3

"Dean S. Messing" 08-03-2008 01:21 AM

Colour Cordination ??

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008, William Case wrote:
> Does anybody know of a site, tutorial or a manual that explains how to
> get all my colour formats and equipment synchronized?
<snip>

Type

"icc color profile" linux

into Google (including the quotes) and start poking around. Also,

"icc colour profile" linux

gives a another set of links to surf in.

Dean

William Case 08-03-2008 01:55 AM

Colour Cordination ??

Thanks Dean;

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 18:21 -0700, Dean S. Messing wrote:
> "icc color profile" linux

I had never heard of The International Color Consortium. No wonder I
couldn't find anything worth reading. Once informed by you, I found
their site and hundreds of useful links.

If others are interested, follow Deans advice above or go to

http://www.color.org/faqs.xalter

as a starter.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3

Bob Barrett 08-03-2008 04:18 AM

Colour Cordination ??

William Case wrote:

[...]

Google for "color calibration" and take a look at Norman Koren's site.
A photographer with a lot of good information on the subject, especially
monitor calibration:

http://www.normankoren.com/

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1B.html