Old 08-02-2008, 07:08 PM
"Paul Smith"

Default Cannot run Mathematica 6.0.3

Dear All,

I have just installed Mathematica 6.0.3, but when try to run it, I get
the following error:

«An error has occurred while Mathematica was starting up. Mathematica
may not function properly until this problem is resolved. You may
choose to continue anyway, but you could encounter additional
problem.»

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Claude Jones

On Sat August 2 2008 3:08:06 pm Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have just installed Mathematica 6.0.3, but when try to run
> it, I get the following error:
>
> «An error has occurred while Mathematica was starting up.
> Mathematica may not function properly until this problem is
> resolved. You may choose to continue anyway, but you could
> encounter additional problem.»
>
> Any ideas?

Last I'd heard, Ver 6 wouldn't run on Linux. Just now, I found
this on their website:
Linux x86

Linux 2.4 or later
32-bit, 64-bit

Mathematica 6 has been fully tested on all major Linux
distributions based on the 2.4 Linux kernel. On newer Linux
distributions, additional compatibility libraries may need to be
installed.
So, I'd guess that you're going to have to research what those
additional libs might be...

--
Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:02 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:57 PM, Claude Jones <cjones@levitjames.com> wrote:
>> I have just installed Mathematica 6.0.3, but when try to run
>> it, I get the following error:
>>
>> «An error has occurred while Mathematica was starting up.
>> Mathematica may not function properly until this problem is
>> resolved. You may choose to continue anyway, but you could
>> encounter additional problem.»
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Last I'd heard, Ver 6 wouldn't run on Linux. Just now, I found
> this on their website:
> ************************************************** ********
> Linux x86
>
> Linux 2.4 or later
> 32-bit, 64-bit
>
> Mathematica 6 has been fully tested on all major Linux
> distributions based on the 2.4 Linux kernel. On newer Linux
> distributions, additional compatibility libraries may need to be
> installed.
> ************************************************** ********
> So, I'd guess that you're going to have to research what those
> additional libs might be...

Thanks, Claude. I have done some research, but no success. I posted a
message on the Mathematica newsgroup, but nobody has replied so far.

Has someone on the list ever succeeded with running Mathematica 6.0.3 on F9?

Paul

Old 08-05-2008, 10:11 AM
"Paul Smith"

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have just installed Mathematica 6.0.3, but when try to run
>>> it, I get the following error:
>>>
>>> «An error has occurred while Mathematica was starting up.
>>> Mathematica may not function properly until this problem is
>>> resolved. You may choose to continue anyway, but you could
>>> encounter additional problem.»
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Last I'd heard, Ver 6 wouldn't run on Linux. Just now, I found
>> this on their website:
>> ************************************************** ********
>> Linux x86
>>
>> Linux 2.4 or later
>> 32-bit, 64-bit
>>
>> Mathematica 6 has been fully tested on all major Linux
>> distributions based on the 2.4 Linux kernel. On newer Linux
>> distributions, additional compatibility libraries may need to be
>> installed.
>> ************************************************** ********
>> So, I'd guess that you're going to have to research what those
>> additional libs might be...
>
> Thanks, Claude. I have done some research, but no success. I posted a
> message on the Mathematica newsgroup, but nobody has replied so far.
>
> Has someone on the list ever succeeded with running Mathematica 6.0.3 on F9?

Someone, meanwhile, has suggested to me to install

xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi-7.2-6.fc9.noarch

that solved the problem.

Paul

Old 08-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Claude Jones

On Tue August 5 2008 6:11:44 am Paul Smith wrote:
> > Thanks, Claude. I have done some research, but no success. I posted a
> > message on the Mathematica newsgroup, but nobody has replied so far.
> >
> > Has someone on the list ever succeeded with running Mathematica 6.0.3 on
> > F9?
>
> Someone, meanwhile, has suggested to me to install
>
> xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi-7.2-6.fc9.noarch
>
> that solved the problem.

Thanks Paul, for reporting back. I know someone who will be glad to hear about
this.
--
Claude Jones
Leesburg, VA