Old 08-02-2008, 01:56 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Default How add a path to fonts to xset?

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 14:12 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> How add a path to fonts to xset?

man xset

poc

Old 08-02-2008, 02:01 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How add a path to fonts to xset?
>
> man xset

Too complicated, Patrick! Is not there any gui?

Paul

Old 08-02-2008, 02:45 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 15:01 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 2:56 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> How add a path to fonts to xset?
> >
> > man xset
>
> Too complicated, Patrick! Is not there any gui?

If you want a GUI you don't want xset. xset is for setting stuff
(including the font path) from the command-line. And it's not that
complicated: xset fp=list,of,directories

What exactly are you trying to do?

You

Old 08-02-2008, 03:18 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan

>> > man xset
>>
>> Too complicated, Patrick! Is not there any gui?
>
> If you want a GUI you don't want xset. xset is for setting stuff
> (including the font path) from the command-line. And it's not that
> complicated: xset fp=list,of,directories
>
> What exactly are you trying to do?

I am trying to get Mathematica 6.0.3 to work. When I try to run it, I
get the following:

$ xset: bad font path element (#23), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax

Any ideas?

Paul

Old 08-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Todd Zullinger

Paul Smith wrote:
> I am trying to get Mathematica 6.0.3 to work. When I try to run it,
> I get the following:
>
> $ xset: bad font path element (#23), possible causes are:
> Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
> Directory missing fonts.dir
> Incorrect font server address or syntax
>
> Any ideas?

Well, since F8 or F9, the X font server isn't installed or enabled by
default. So perhaps it's the 3rd item in the possible causes that's
biting you?

Old 08-02-2008, 03:48 PM
"Paul Smith"

2008/8/2 Todd Zullinger <tmz@pobox.com>:
>> I am trying to get Mathematica 6.0.3 to work. When I try to run it,
>> I get the following:
>>
>> $ xset: bad font path element (#23), possible causes are:
>> Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>> Directory missing fonts.dir
>> Incorrect font server address or syntax
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Well, since F8 or F9, the X font server isn't installed or enabled by
> default. So perhaps it's the 3rd item in the possible causes that's
> biting you?

Thanks, Todd. Now, xset does not complain, but when trying to run
Mathematica in graphical mode, I get the following error:

«An error has occurred while Mathematica was starting up. Mathematica
may not function properly until this problem is resolved. You may
choose to continue anyway, but you could encounter additional
problem.»

I have just placed a post about this on the Mathematica newsgroup.

Any ideas?

Paul

Old 08-02-2008, 03:51 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 11:31 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Paul Smith wrote:
> > I am trying to get Mathematica 6.0.3 to work. When I try to run it,
> > I get the following:
> >
> > $ xset: bad font path element (#23), possible causes are:
> > Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
> > Directory missing fonts.dir
> > Incorrect font server address or syntax
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Well, since F8 or F9, the X font server isn't installed or enabled by
> default. So perhaps it's the 3rd item in the possible causes that's
> biting you?

It's from F9. And in any case xset still works (i.e. the X server
effectively takes over what xfs used to do, as I understand it).

poc

Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 16:18 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:

> >> Too complicated, Patrick! Is not there any gui?
> >
> > If you want a GUI you don't want xset. xset is for setting stuff
> > (including the font path) from the command-line. And it's not that
> > complicated: xset fp=list,of,directories
> >
> > What exactly are you trying to do?
>
> I am trying to get Mathematica 6.0.3 to work. When I try to run it, I
> get the following:
>
> $ xset: bad font path element (#23), possible causes are:
> Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
> Directory missing fonts.dir
> Incorrect font server address or syntax
>
> Any ideas?

Fonts are now held in /etc/X11/fontpath.d, however the error message is
unclear about which font is causing the problem. Try:

# ls /etc/X11/fontpath.d/*/fonts.dir

and look for missing fonts.dir files.

BTW, is this is a version of Mathmatica specifically for Fedora 9? If
not, the problem might be that it's assuming the old-style xfs setup.

poc

Old 08-02-2008, 04:09 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan

>> > If you want a GUI you don't want xset. xset is for setting stuff
>> > (including the font path) from the command-line. And it's not that
>> > complicated: xset fp=list,of,directories
>> >
>> > What exactly are you trying to do?
>>
>> I am trying to get Mathematica 6.0.3 to work. When I try to run it, I
>> get the following:
>>
>> $ xset: bad font path element (#23), possible causes are:
>> Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>> Directory missing fonts.dir
>> Incorrect font server address or syntax
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Fonts are now held in /etc/X11/fontpath.d, however the error message is
> unclear about which font is causing the problem. Try:
>
> # ls /etc/X11/fontpath.d/*/fonts.dir
>
> and look for missing fonts.dir files.
>
> BTW, is this is a version of Mathmatica specifically for Fedora 9? If
> not, the problem might be that it's assuming the old-style xfs setup.

In fact, this version of Mathematica is not specifically for Fedora 9;
it is for Linux in general.

Paul