Old 08-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Dan Thurman

Default F8/F9 Multiboot question

I am trying to figure out how to get grub properly configured
to MultiBoot various OS's that are available.

Here is the disks paritions:
============================
# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x301e301d

IDE-0
=====
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 19122 153597433+ 83 Linux (f_App)
/dev/sda2 19123 38913 158971207+ 7 HPFS/NTFS (w_App)

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xddf04e0a

SATA-1
======
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 3187 25599546 7 HPFS/NTFS
(f8-win2kPro)

/dev/sdb2 * 3188 6374 25599577+ 7 HPFS/NTFS (f8-XP)
/dev/sdb3 6375 6387 104422+ 83 Linux (f8-boot)
/dev/sdb4 6388 38913 261265095 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdb5 6388 19135 102398278+ 83 Linux (f8-root)
/dev/sdb6 19136 25509 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS (w8-App1)
/dev/sdb7 25510 31883 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS (w8-App2)
/dev/sdb8 31884 38276 51351741 83 Linux (f8-App1)
/dev/sdb9 38277 38913 5116671 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdc: 750.1 GB, 750156374016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0004f508

SATA-2
======
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 * 1 6374 51199123+ 7 HPFS/NTFS (f9-XP)
/dev/sdc2 6375 12748 51199155 7 HPFS/NTFS (f9-Vista)
/dev/sdc3 12749 12773 200812+ 83 Linux (f9-boot)
/dev/sdc4 12774 91201 629972910 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdc5 12774 52956 322769916 7 HPFS/NTFS (f9-App1)
/dev/sdc6 52957 90564 302086228+ 83 Linux (f9-root)
/dev/sdc7 90565 91201 5116671 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Note that there is F8 and F9 Fedora's installed, each with it's own MBR and
/boot partitions: F8 in /dev/sdb and F9 in /dev/sdc. Physically, have
/dev/sdb

as the primary boot disk and the BIOS recognizes /dev/sdb as the first boot
disk followed by /dev/sdc.

My thinking here is, that since I don't want to have to set my BIOS disk
order

in switching from F8 to F9 or back, how is it possible to configure f8-grub
(and/or f9-grub) so that it can recognize all of the OS's?

The bummer here, is that if I configure the f8-boot (or f9-boot) grub, with
crossover, every time a new kernel is updated, I also have to update grub.

Does anyone have any advice in how to do this up properly?

Thanks!
Dan

Old 08-02-2008, 03:00 AM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 19:47:13 -0700
Dan Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any advice in how to do this up properly?

chainloader is what I use. I've got a partition with nothing
but grub on it (used to be a /boot partition for an old
fedora, and I kept it around to just use for grub), and a
grub.conf file that looks like:

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/zooty.xpm.gz
title Fedora 8 x86_64
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
chainloader +1
title Fedora 8 i386
rootnoverify (hd0,7)
chainloader +1
title Fedora 9 x86_64
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
title Fedora 9 i386
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
chainloader +1

In my case the different hats are all on one disk, and I tell
the installer to install each system's grub in the boot partition
rather than the MBR, but I think chainloading can cross disks
as well with suitable modification of the rootnoverify gibberish.

The beauty of this scheme is that kernel updates all just work.
I don't have to fix anything after updating any kernel in any
partition.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:08 AM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Tom Horsley wrote:

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 19:47:13 -0700
Dan Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any advice in how to do this up properly?

chainloader is what I use. I've got a partition with nothing
but grub on it (used to be a /boot partition for an old
fedora, and I kept it around to just use for grub), and a
grub.conf file that looks like:

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/zooty.xpm.gz
title Fedora 8 x86_64
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
chainloader +1
title Fedora 8 i386
rootnoverify (hd0,7)
chainloader +1
title Fedora 9 x86_64
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
title Fedora 9 i386
rootnoverify (hd0,4)
chainloader +1

In my case the different hats are all on one disk, and I tell
the installer to install each system's grub in the boot partition
rather than the MBR, but I think chainloading can cross disks
as well with suitable modification of the rootnoverify gibberish.

The beauty of this scheme is that kernel updates all just work.
I don't have to fix anything after updating any kernel in any
partition.

This sounds incredibly cool to me. Can I press you to add a little
more detail?

What I'd like to know is, how can I convert my existing setup or
partition layout so that each of the Fedora partitions are bootable
with grub installed for which chain-loader will work?

In the past, I had nightmares trying to figure this out, and was not
successful, but then I was not using chain-loaders either. From my
past experiences, for some reason I got the idea that it was a no-no
to have /boot installed in / - I forget why exactly - but I found that
/boot worked if it had it's own partition which explains my particular
partition layout. It would save me a partition for other uses if I can
get /boot embedded within / - that would be very cool!

I thank you for your suggestions!
Dan

Old 08-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 20:08 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> What I'd like to know is, how can I convert my existing setup or
> partition layout so that each of the Fedora partitions are bootable
> with grub installed for which chain-loader will work?

When installing extra OSs, don't install the bootloader to the disc MBR,
but to the boot partition for that OS (with each OS having its own boot
partition).

At a simplistic level, you might install an OS with individual
partitions like the following:

system boot (e.g. /dev/sda1)
Fedora boot (e.g. /dev/sda2)
Fedora /
Ubuntu boot
Ubuntu /
Debian boot
Debian /
OpenBSD boot
OpenBSD /

The system boot would just be where GRUB has a few files, that the BIOS
will read to start booting. This will be your boot menu, and to boot
other OSs you'll chainload to their own boot partitions. When you boot
up, you'll see the initial boot menu (offering just Fedora, Ubuntu,
Debian, OpenBSD, etc., and when you pick one of them, you'll move over
to the boot menu for that distro - where you can pick which particular
kernel they'll boot with, or just go with their defaults).

To change existing installations over to working this way, you'd need to
already have boot partitions for each one, and you'd reinstall their
bootloaders to their own boot partitions. e.g. You'd install Fedora's
GRUB to /dev/sda2 not /dev/sda.

Some people will share a boot partition between different OSs, but that
*may* be a problem, if one of them updates kernels and messed with
others. It shouldn't happen, but I've read postings about it.

> In the past, I had nightmares trying to figure this out, and was not
> successful, but then I was not using chain-loaders either. From my
> past experiences, for some reason I got the idea that it was a no-no
> to have /boot installed in / - I forget why exactly - but I found that
> /boot worked if it had it's own partition which explains my particular
> partition layout. It would save me a partition for other uses if I
> can get /boot embedded within / - that would be very cool!

If boot is just a directory inside /, it might be located on a part of
the disc that the basic motherboard BIOS cannot access, so you won't be
able to boot up. When you make boot partitions, you can control where
they're created, and create them in a place that BIOS can actually read.

Some people think that a boot directory inside / is fine, rather than a
partition, because it works for them, at *that* time. But later on, as
they install updates and other files, the location of boot-up files
(e.g. kernel and initrd files) moves around, and can end up in an
unreadable (by the BIOS) place.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Tom Horsley

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 18:20:01 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Some people think that a boot directory inside / is fine, rather than a
> partition, because it works for them, at *that* time. But later on, as
> they install updates and other files, the location of boot-up files
> (e.g. kernel and initrd files) moves around, and can end up in an
> unreadable (by the BIOS) place.

Yea, it seems to depend on the age of the BIOS. The BIOS folks have
been trailing the disc manufacturers for years :-). With a new enough
system, you may not have a problem booting off a partition anywhere
on the disk (it seems to work for me), but depending on the BIOS,
you may find that it won't boot unless the boot partition is "close"
to the beginning of the disk (where "close" is impossible to guess
until it finally fails to boot someday and you dig up how far away
it is :-).

Old 08-03-2008, 10:56 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Tim wrote:

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 20:08 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> What I'd like to know is, how can I convert my existing setup or
> partition layout so that each of the Fedora partitions are bootable
> with grub installed for which chain-loader will work?

When installing extra OSs, don't install the bootloader to the disc MBR,
but to the boot partition for that OS (with each OS having its own boot
partition).

At a simplistic level, you might install an OS with individual
partitions like the following:

system boot (e.g. /dev/sda1)
Fedora boot (e.g. /dev/sda2)
Fedora /
Ubuntu boot
Ubuntu /
Debian boot
Debian /
OpenBSD boot
OpenBSD /

The system boot would just be where GRUB has a few files, that the BIOS
will read to start booting. This will be your boot menu, and to boot
other OSs you'll chainload to their own boot partitions. When you boot
up, you'll see the initial boot menu (offering just Fedora, Ubuntu,
Debian, OpenBSD, etc., and when you pick one of them, you'll move over
to the boot menu for that distro - where you can pick which particular
kernel they'll boot with, or just go with their defaults).

To change existing installations over to working this way, you'd need to
already have boot partitions for each one, and you'd reinstall their
bootloaders to their own boot partitions. e.g. You'd install Fedora's
GRUB to /dev/sda2 not /dev/sda.

Some people will share a boot partition between different OSs, but that
*may* be a problem, if one of them updates kernels and messed with
others. It shouldn't happen, but I've read postings about it.

> In the past, I had nightmares trying to figure this out, and was not
> successful, but then I was not using chain-loaders either. From my
> past experiences, for some reason I got the idea that it was a no-no
> to have /boot installed in / - I forget why exactly - but I found that
> /boot worked if it had it's own partition which explains my particular
> partition layout. It would save me a partition for other uses if I
> can get /boot embedded within / - that would be very cool!

If boot is just a directory inside /, it might be located on a part of
the disc that the basic motherboard BIOS cannot access, so you won't be
able to boot up. When you make boot partitions, you can control where
they're created, and create them in a place that BIOS can actually read.

Some people think that a boot directory inside / is fine, rather than a
partition, because it works for them, at *that* time. But later on, as
they install updates and other files, the location of boot-up files
(e.g. kernel and initrd files) moves around, and can end up in an
unreadable (by the BIOS) place.

What is the command for installing the "MBR" and grub into each
of their respective partitions?

I tried: grub-install --recheck /dev/sdc1, and likewise for /dev/sdc2 and
/dev/sdc3 but nothing happens. Since I had copies of /boot for f8 and f9
I simply copied f8's boot files into /dev/sdc2 and f9's boot files into
/dev/sdc3 but for /dev/sdc1 (boot-sys), I copied f8's boot files into
/dev/sdc1, removed initd*, vm*, and System*, edited grub/grub.conf
with the chain-loaders like you said. But I am at loss to figure out how
to get each of the 3 partitions with it's own "MBR".

Thanks!
Dan

Old 08-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 15:56 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> What is the command for installing the "MBR" and grub into each
> of their respective partitions?
>
> I tried: grub-install --recheck /dev/sdc1, and likewise for /dev/sdc2
> and /dev/sdc3 but nothing happens.

I've never bothered with grub-install, other than the one time it didn't
do what it was supposed to. After that I decided not to bother with it
again. I issue the real commands directly:

The grub command to enter a GRUB shell.
The root command to tell GRUB where /boot will be (and GRUB's root is
held).
The find command to check that GRUB can find the files it needs.
The setup command to setup which drive MBR to write to, or which
partition.
And the quit command to write all the changes and exit.

Pasting of a session is below, the GRUB input prompts are beside
"grub>", the rest is output.

[root@localhost ~]# grub
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the
possible
completions of a device/filename.]
grub> root (hd0,0)
root (hd0,0)
grub> find /grub/stage1
find /grub/stage1
(hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
setup (hd0)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 23 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+23 p
(hd0,0)/grub/stage2 /grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
Done.
grub> quit
quit
[root@localhost ~]#

My set of examples picks my first boot partition (the root command), and
writes back to the disc's MBR (the setup command). You'd change the
root and setup parameters to suit each installation, to install GRUB
"stage ones" into each boot partition. In your case, you'd pick the
same drive and partition for the root and setup commands.

By the way, grub-install is just a script. You can read it and see how
it works, if you really want to.

> Since I had copies of /boot for f8 and f9 I simply copied f8's boot
> files into /dev/sdc2 and f9's boot files into /dev/sdc3 but
> for /dev/sdc1 (boot-sys), I copied f8's boot files into /dev/sdc1,
> removed initd*, vm*, and System*, edited grub/grub.conf with the
> chain-loaders like you said.

Hmm, I don't know exactly what you mean by "boot files". Each /boot
partition would have that OS's kernel files, and a grub sub-directory
for that installation's GRUB files (menus, stage loaders, etc.). There
shouldn't be any need to copy things about.

Inside /boot/grub:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 63 2008-06-01 01:39 device.map
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11768 2008-06-01 01:39 e2fs_stage1_5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11528 2008-06-01 01:39 fat_stage1_5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10776 2008-06-01 01:39 ffs_stage1_5
-rw------- 1 root root 1700 2008-07-27 16:47 grub.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10768 2008-06-01 01:39 iso9660_stage1_5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12440 2008-06-01 01:39 jfs_stage1_5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 2008-06-01 01:39 menu.lst -> ./grub.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10984 2008-06-01 01:39 minix_stage1_5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 83780 2008-06-30 12:22 mixer-cropped.xpm.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 85014 2008-06-30 12:22 mixer.xpm.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13376 2008-06-01 01:39 reiserfs_stage1_5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 66003 2008-04-12 05:32 splash.xpm.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 2008-06-01 01:39 stage1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 110532 2008-06-01 01:39 stage2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11040 2008-06-01 01:39 ufs2_stage1_5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10376 2008-06-01 01:39 vstafs_stage1_5
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13016 2008-06-01 01:39 xfs_stage1_5

> But I am at loss to figure out how to get each of the 3 partitions
> with it's own "MBR".

Terminology problem... MBR is Master Boot Record, there's only one of
them per disc. Initial stages of GRUB can be put in the disc MBR, or at
the beginning of individual partitions (not a MBR, but something
similar, and a mental blank strikes me as to its proper name).

Old 08-04-2008, 03:31 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Tim wrote:

[...]

Ok, I did. Thanks.

Since I had copies of /boot for f8 and f9 I simply copied f8's boot
files into /dev/sdc2 and f9's boot files into /dev/sdc3 but
for /dev/sdc1 (boot-sys), I copied f8's boot files into /dev/sdc1,
removed initd*, vm*, and System*, edited grub/grub.conf with the
chain-loaders like you said.

Hmm, I don't know exactly what you mean by "boot files". Each /boot
partition would have that OS's kernel files, and a grub sub-directory
for that installation's GRUB files (menus, stage loaders, etc.). There
shouldn't be any need to copy things about.

Inside /boot/grub:
[snip!]

Yes, that is what I meant by (grub) "/boot files"

But I am at loss to figure out how to get each of the 3 partitions
with it's own "MBR".

Terminology problem... MBR is Master Boot Record, there's only one of
them per disc. Initial stages of GRUB can be put in the disc MBR, or at
the beginning of individual partitions (not a MBR, but something
similar, and a mental blank strikes me as to its proper name).

Well, I know there is only one MBR, but I was trying to identify the boot
record for each partition and I did not have a name for it, which is why
I quoted "MBR" - I did not know the proper name either!

HELP! All of my (fedora) drives are no longer bootable! When I boot,
all I get is one message at the top-left corner: "GRUB" I cannot type
anything at this point, it just hangs. So what do I need to do to recover
grub?

P.S: I tried to re-install grub via Fedora "Live" CD, but it seems I am
unable to.

Thanks!
Dan

Old 08-04-2008, 05:27 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

Tim wrote:
> [...]

> Terminology problem... MBR is Master Boot Record, there's only one of
> them per disc. Initial stages of GRUB can be put in the disc MBR,
or at

> the beginning of individual partitions (not a MBR, but something
> similar, and a mental blank strikes me as to its proper name).
Well, I know there is only one MBR, but I was trying to identify the boot
record for each partition and I did not have a name for it, which is why
I quoted "MBR" - I did not know the proper name either!

HELP! All of my (fedora) drives are no longer bootable! When I boot,
all I get is one message at the top-left corner: "GRUB" I cannot type
anything at this point, it just hangs. So what do I need to do to
recover

grub?

P.S: I tried to re-install grub via Fedora "Live" CD, but it seems I am

Never mind! I got myself out of the problem!

Dan

Old 08-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 04 August 2008 18:27:56 Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> Never mind! I got myself out of the problem!

How? Someone will see this in the archives and will want to know the
answer :-)

Anne