Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default F8/F9 Multiboot question

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

As I pointed out, I was ABLE to boot w2kPro, XP, and Vista
ONLY if my BIOs is set to boot Windows-Drive as the
Primary boot drive. Heck - the boot-loader IS Grub! It WORKS
and note that the boot-win is a logical partition! As the table
shows, for the Windows drive, partition-1 is w2kPro, 2nd is XP,
3rd is Vista, 5th is boot-win, and 6th is w-App1

The problem is, that if I switch via BIOs primary boot drive
to a Fedora-ONLY drive for which the generic boot-sys has
chain-loader entries, Grub sees F8, F9, and Vista - but does
not see w2kPro nor XP!

Take a look at the Grub map command - it can set the conditions as
if you the BIOS was set to boot from the Windows drive. This will
make Windows happy, while still letting you have the Fedora drive as
the first boot drive.

You can probably use something like this:

title Drive B
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader (hd0)

I did this from memory, so I may have some of the syntax wrong. What
it should do is remap the drives just like you had booted from the
Windows drive, and then just to the boot loader on that drive.

Mikkel

Old 08-12-2008, 01:36 AM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> As I pointed out, I was ABLE to boot w2kPro, XP, and Vista
> ONLY if my BIOs is set to boot Windows-Drive as the
> Primary boot drive. Heck - the boot-loader IS Grub! It WORKS
> and note that the boot-win is a logical partition! As the table
> shows, for the Windows drive, partition-1 is w2kPro, 2nd is XP,
> 3rd is Vista, 5th is boot-win, and 6th is w-App1
>
> The problem is, that if I switch via BIOs primary boot drive
> to a Fedora-ONLY drive for which the generic boot-sys has
> chain-loader entries, Grub sees F8, F9, and Vista - but does
> not see w2kPro nor XP!

Take a look at the Grub map command - it can set the conditions as
if you the BIOS was set to boot from the Windows drive. This will
make Windows happy, while still letting you have the Fedora drive as
the first boot drive.

You can probably use something like this:

title Drive B
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader (hd0)

I did this from memory, so I may have some of the syntax wrong. What
it should do is remap the drives just like you had booted from the
Windows drive, and then just to the boot loader on that drive.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
That did the trick!

For me, just add the two map lines above the "root (hdX,Y)"
and only for w2kPro and XP and I am done!

This concludes my issues and I am happy as a clam!
Kudos!

Dan