Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 AM
"Jesus Jr M Salvo"

Default Broadcom PCI device gone missing and is now a USB device ???

I only noticed now that I want to get wireless up and running on my
Compaq Presario V6017AU notebook with a built-in broadcom chipset.
When I first looked at it, it was listed in lspci, and I even posted
my lspci output to various mailing lists and forums. Example:

I am running F7 then and now, although different kernel releases. Not
sure what kernel release I had back when the broadcom device was
listed in lspci, but all the ones that I still have installed on my
notebook do NOT list the broadcom device anymore!! Example:

$ /sbin/lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51 [Geforce
6150 Go] (rev a2)
00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
00:0a.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PMU (rev a3)
00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev f1)
00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev f1)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
[Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
[Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
[Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
[Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
07:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
07:05.1 Generic system peripheral [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822
SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)
07:05.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Unknown device 0843 (rev 01)
07:05.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host
Adapter (rev 0a)
07:05.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 05)

As you can above, the line:

03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4310 UART (rev 01)

... has gone missing!! This is with 2.6.23.1-21.fc7 ( x64 )

What I DO notice is that it is recognised as a USB device. However, I
do not recall if my broadcom device was also recognised as a USB
device when it was recognised as a PCI device months ago ... but I
presume not ( can you actually have the same device as PCI and USB at
the same time?? ). My notebook has a switch to turn the wireless
device on and off, so I can see what is happening via dmesg or
/var/log/messages. Here is what happens when I turn it off and then on
again:

Dec 6 20:54:34 58 kernel: usb 1-3: USB disconnect, address 2
Dec 6 20:54:43 58 kernel: usb 1-3: new full speed USB device using
ohci_hcd and address 4
Dec 6 20:54:43 58 kernel: usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

Here is the relevant output from lsusb, which is also a bit wrong
because it says bluetooth !! ( If I turn off the wireless switch, this
device no longer appears in lsusb's output ):

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 2.00
bDeviceClass 224 Wireless
bDeviceSubClass 1 Radio Frequency
bDeviceProtocol 1 Bluetooth
bMaxPacketSize0 64
idVendor 0x03f0 Hewlett-Packard
idProduct 0x171d
bcdDevice 1.00
iManufacturer 1 Broadcom Corp
iProduct 2 HP Integrated Module
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 216
bNumInterfaces 4
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes 0xe0
Self Powered
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 0mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 3
bInterfaceClass 224 Wireless
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Radio Frequency
bInterfaceProtocol 1 Bluetooth
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0010 1x 16 bytes
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x82 EP 2 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes
bInterval 1
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 1
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 224 Wireless
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Radio Frequency
bInterfaceProtocol 1 Bluetooth
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
bmAttributes 1
Transfer Type Isochronous
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0000 1x 0 bytes
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
bmAttributes 1
Transfer Type Isochronous
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0000 1x 0 bytes
bInterval 1
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 1
bAlternateSetting 1
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 224 Wireless
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Radio Frequency
bInterfaceProtocol 1 Bluetooth
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
bmAttributes 1
Transfer Type Isochronous
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0009 1x 9 bytes
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
bmAttributes 1
Transfer Type Isochronous
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0009 1x 9 bytes
bInterval 1
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 1
bAlternateSetting 2
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 224 Wireless
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Radio Frequency
bInterfaceProtocol 1 Bluetooth
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
bmAttributes 1
Transfer Type Isochronous
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0011 1x 17 bytes
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
bmAttributes 1
Transfer Type Isochronous
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0011 1x 17 bytes
bInterval 1
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 1
bAlternateSetting 3
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 224 Wireless
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Radio Frequency
bInterfaceProtocol 1 Bluetooth
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN
bmAttributes 1
Transfer Type Isochronous
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0020 1x 32 bytes
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x03 EP 3 OUT
bmAttributes 1
Transfer Type Isochronous
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0020 1x 32 bytes
bInterval 1
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 1
bAlternateSetting 4
bNumEndpoints 2
[...]
bAlternateSetting 5
bNumEndpoints 2
[...]
bInterfaceNumber 2
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 2
bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class
bInterfaceSubClass 255 Vendor Specific Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 255 Vendor Specific Protocol
iInterface 0
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x84 EP 4 IN
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0020 1x 32 bytes
bInterval 1
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x04 EP 4 OUT
bmAttributes 2
Transfer Type Bulk
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0020 1x 32 bytes
bInterval 1
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 3
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 0
bInterfaceClass 254 Application Specific Interface
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Device Firmware Update
bInterfaceProtocol 0
iInterface 0

So what is happening is that, I could not load the b43 or b43-legacy
drivers because I think it could not find the PCI device, even though
it is listed as a USB device.

modprobe of both b43 anb b43-legacy does not do anything, nor does it
log anything in /var/log/messages.

Help!

John

Old 12-06-2007, 11:30 AM
"Jesus Jr M Salvo"

On 06/12/2007, Jesus Jr M Salvo <jesus.m.salvo@gmail.com> wrote:

> What I DO notice is that it is recognised as a USB device. However, I
> do not recall if my broadcom device was also recognised as a USB
> device when it was recognised as a PCI device months ago ... but I
> presume not ( can you actually have the same device as PCI and USB at
> the same time?? ).

OK ... The Broadcom USB device entries also appeared when the Broadcom
PCI device were detected. So I guess the USB device is for bluetooth,
while the PCI device ( the missing device ) is the actual 802.11g
device .... but I am still no closer to finding out why it is no
longer listed in lspci or /proc/bus/pci/devices.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:07 PM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 6, 2007 4:30 AM, Jesus Jr M Salvo <jesus.m.salvo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/12/2007, Jesus Jr M Salvo <jesus.m.salvo@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What I DO notice is that it is recognised as a USB device. However, I
> > do not recall if my broadcom device was also recognised as a USB
> > device when it was recognised as a PCI device months ago ... but I
> > presume not ( can you actually have the same device as PCI and USB at
> > the same time?? ).
>
> OK ... The Broadcom USB device entries also appeared when the Broadcom
> PCI device were detected. So I guess the USB device is for bluetooth,
> while the PCI device ( the missing device ) is the actual 802.11g
> device .... but I am still no closer to finding out why it is no
> longer listed in lspci or /proc/bus/pci/devices.

Hi Jesus Jr M Salvo!

My first guess is hardware (loose or dirty connector) or firmware
(CMOS battery (in laptop world sometimes called "reserve battery").
Most laptop wireless adapters I have seen can be removed and usually
you can find a manual on line. I am not saying to remove it, just see
that it is properly seated and clean. Firmware you can test anytime
by loading all the CMOS defaults, editing if you need to (boot order
for example) and then save and exit. My current laptop is ancient and
I simply do this every time I turn the machine on. The intermittent
disk problems it had (which is probably why it was a gift to me) I
have not seen since I started this procedure.

The following article may help with some system understanding and tools:

http://linux.about.com/od/pap_howto/a/hwtpap07t03.htm

Good Hunting!

Tod