Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Beartooth

Default Alpine prospects??

As many here must know, U Washington laid off some large number
of the Pine/Alpine team last May. Now there is talk, in some places
online, of UW dropping all support for this superb software.

Given those opprobrious facts, it seems a legitimate topic for
this group to ask, "What of Alpine, then?"

Will Fedora, or some other distro, or many, spring into the
breach, if breach there be??

Isn't anything known, after over two months? Can it not be told
here? If not here, where? If not now, when?

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
nine (count 'em -- nine) different browsers

Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Beartooth writes:

As many here must know, U Washington laid off some large number
of the Pine/Alpine team last May. Now there is talk, in some places
online, of UW dropping all support for this superb software.

Given those opprobrious facts, it seems a legitimate topic for
this group to ask, "What of Alpine, then?"

Will Fedora, or some other distro, or many, spring into the
breach, if breach there be??

Have you tried cone? yum install cone. It's not a pine clone, but carries
the same spirit, and does UTF-8 and native GnuPG integration.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:50 PM
"Steven W. Orr"

On Friday, Aug 1st 2008 at 16:13 -0000, quoth Beartooth:

=>
=> As many here must know, U Washington laid off some large number
=>of the Pine/Alpine team last May. Now there is talk, in some places
=>online, of UW dropping all support for this superb software.
=>
=> Given those opprobrious facts, it seems a legitimate topic for
=>this group to ask, "What of Alpine, then?"

As a user of alpine, a few questions pop up:

1. Where did you hear about this layoff? Is it being discussed anywhere?
2. I did not know that alpine was a funded project by paid employees, as
opposed to something that is developed by volunteers. If so, what was UW's
motivation to have paid for this?
3. What other mailers out there are viable stable replacement candidates
for what alpine offers. The features that are at the top of my list are:
* The ability to bounce mail.
* Roles
* Instant editing of headers
* The ability to pipe mail.
* Selecting and zooming.
If anything else out there supports these features then I'm all ears.
The text-based/gui-based part is less important.

And of course, if anyone wanted to pick alpine up themselves, that would
probably be nice too. :-)

--
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have .0.
steveo at syslang.net

Old 08-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Mike

From a long time pine/alpine user this is horrible news! I have yet to

find a suitable replacement. Cone comes close but no cigar for me...

The only discussion I was able to find is here:
http://objectmix.com/imap/397119-so-long-thanks-all-fish.html

-- Mike

Old 08-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 10:50:54 -0400,
"Steven W. Orr" <steveo@syslang.net> wrote:
> 3. What other mailers out there are viable stable replacement candidates
> for what alpine offers. The features that are at the top of my list are:
> * The ability to bounce mail.
> * Roles
> * Instant editing of headers
> * The ability to pipe mail.
> * Selecting and zooming.
> If anything else out there supports these features then I'm all ears.
> The text-based/gui-based part is less important.

Have you looked at mutt? I think can get it to do most or all of the above.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:09 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 08:45 -0700, Mike wrote:
> The only discussion I was able to find is here:
> http://objectmix.com/imap/397119-so-long-thanks-all-fish.html

Actually it appears the layoff is affecting the people who basically
invented IMAP, including Mark Crispin. IMAP as such will continue of
course, but it's a sad day all the same.

poc

Old 08-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Beartooth

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 08:45:15 -0700, Mike wrote:

>>From a long time pine/alpine user this is horrible news! I have yet to
> find a suitable replacement. Cone comes close but no cigar for me...
>
> The only discussion I was able to find is here:
> http://objectmix.com/imap/397119-so-long-thanks-all-fish.html

That seems to be essentially the text of that thread, yes. Do you
really not have a newsreader and a newsfeed? I mean ordinary old-
fashioned Usenet : there are still some useful (moderated) groups on it,
and any ISP I know of, at least in North America, provides access to it
as part of its routine package. Try "yum install pan," then get your ISP
(or its website) to tell you what to enter when you start setting it up.

Note that the "fish" post simply states the layoffs. Discussion
of implications for Alpine slipped in only quite recently, and seems now
to be taking off.

Cone and mutt are the only suggestions I've seen yet, and they
don't look auspicious to me so far. Cone in particular seems to want to
do html, which I call an outright abomination in email.

--
Beartooth Implacable, senectoflatulocrat online
http://expita.com/nomime.html

Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Beartooth

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 20:13:29 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> As many here must know, U Washington laid off some large number of the
> Pine/Alpine team last May. Now there is talk, in some places online, of
> UW dropping all support for this superb software.

There is a new post on gmane.mail.alpine.info (which reflects the
alpine list at http://www.washington.edu/alpine/alpine-info/) from Steve
Hubert, in the name of the alpine team, responding to a post from Robert
Holtzman titled "alpine status."

It says there will be a new release soon, and that UW will remain
the primary source, "but shift our effort from direct development into
more of a consultation and coordination role to help integrate
contributions from the community."

Sounds to me like they've been studying Fedora or something like
it -- and may soon be inviting others to help code. Strength to their
arms!