Old 12-06-2007, 07:25 AM
David Timms

Default F8: Package Manager - desktop stalled

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

Daniel B. Thurman writes:

I cannot even access the F1 or anything to see what is going on.

What can I do at this point except perhaps to do a forced system
reboot? Isn't there something I can do before attempting such a
drastic move?

If you can't even move the cursor and your entire desktop is frozen,
either your entire kernel, or X.org, has crashed. This has nothing to do
with the package manager.

The only thing you can do is reboot.

That is if the kernel crashed.

If x.org or something else is the problem:
- when you said F1 did you mean ctrl-alt-F1, F2 etc ?
- ctrl-alt-backspace should kill the current x session, causing the
logon screen to be shown
- it might still be accessible from the network over ssh; sometimes
using vnc might allow you to find what is going on, or at least capture
screen shots, run top, check disk space, check external connectivity.
- next time you run package manager - start it from a terminal window,
in case it is providing some sort of error messages.

DaveT.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:22 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

David Timms wrote:
>Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 12:26 AM
>To: For users of Fedora
>Subject: Re: F8: Package Manager - desktop stalled
>Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>> Daniel B. Thurman writes:
>>> I cannot even access the F1 or anything to see what is going on.
>>>
>>> What can I do at this point except perhaps to do a forced system
>>> reboot? Isn't there something I can do before attempting such a
>>> drastic move?
>>
>> If you can't even move the cursor and your entire desktop is frozen,
>> either your entire kernel, or X.org, has crashed. This has
>nothing to do
>> with the package manager.
>>
>> The only thing you can do is reboot.
>That is if the kernel crashed.
>
>If x.org or something else is the problem:
>- when you said F1 did you mean ctrl-alt-F1, F2 etc ?
>- ctrl-alt-backspace should kill the current x session, causing the
>logon screen to be shown
>- it might still be accessible from the network over ssh; sometimes
>using vnc might allow you to find what is going on, or at
>least capture
>screen shots, run top, check disk space, check external connectivity.
>- next time you run package manager - start it from a terminal window,
>in case it is providing some sort of error messages.
>
>DaveT.

Unfortunately, I did not try C-A-F1, 2, ... but it seemed that the
entire system crashed - no disk activity, the screen appeared frozen,
mouse dead. R.I.P.

I cannot understand why Package Manager did not at least cause it even
if only might have exaberated the symptoms. Dunno. I wonder if I
"overloaded" PM by selecting "everything" in the package list that
caused it to wheeze and die. I don't know.

I rebooted and proceeded directly to PM, and did a "one package category
at a time" selection and so far it is working, no crash, albeit very very
slow. Maybe that is just because of massive MB downloads. Again, I
don't know. Has anyone tested PM by trying to select "everything" and
see what happens? Just a thought. I am just trying to get my system
running with all I can throw at it. Developer's tools and all.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.