Old 08-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Ric Moore

Default Xvfb - desperate -- help needed...

I tried installing Kubuntu to Mom's machine. It failed to reboot. Tried
Mandrake, same deal. Installed CentOS, installed and rebooted like a
charm. But, I'm still having the issue with Java's Wonderland launching
X11 applications from with it, using Xvfb. On the Wonderland list,
everyone says it works like a charm from Ubuntu. Right outa the box.
<sighs> I really don't want to install it, but I gotta have the X11
applications features enabled (thus Xvfb)

Dinking around I had an AhHa! moment. I spotted this in /etc/profile
# Start the X virtual frame buffer (Xvfb)
#if [ -f /usr/bin/Xvfb ]; then
#/usr/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 1024x768x16
#fi

# Set the DISPLAY variable for the X virtual frame buffer (Xvfb)
#export DISPLAY=localhost:1.0

These are commented out, as of course you can see, from the get-go. I
tried uncommenting them out and X froze up. So, just maybe I'm closer to
a solution? Would you enable one or both? I did both and it froze.
Anyone have a clue what's happening or what effects this to fail, yet be
included in this pretty-much standard file?? Thanks, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339

Old 08-10-2008, 05:57 AM
"Tod Merley"

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried installing Kubuntu to Mom's machine. It failed to reboot. Tried
> Mandrake, same deal. Installed CentOS, installed and rebooted like a
> charm. But, I'm still having the issue with Java's Wonderland launching
> X11 applications from with it, using Xvfb. On the Wonderland list,
> everyone says it works like a charm from Ubuntu. Right outa the box.
> <sighs> I really don't want to install it, but I gotta have the X11
> applications features enabled (thus Xvfb)
>
> Dinking around I had an AhHa! moment. I spotted this in /etc/profile
> # Start the X virtual frame buffer (Xvfb)
> #if [ -f /usr/bin/Xvfb ]; then
> #/usr/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 1024x768x16
> #fi
>
> # Set the DISPLAY variable for the X virtual frame buffer (Xvfb)
> #export DISPLAY=localhost:1.0
>
> These are commented out, as of course you can see, from the get-go. I
> tried uncommenting them out and X froze up. So, just maybe I'm closer to
> a solution? Would you enable one or both? I did both and it froze.
> Anyone have a clue what's happening or what effects this to fail, yet be
> included in this pretty-much standard file?? Thanks, Ric

> Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
> https://oar.dev.java.net/
> Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339

Hi Ric!

The little I know of virtual frame buffers is that they are used to
test hardware or provide a virtual KVM for an X client. I think you
simply want to get X11 running. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvfb

For that I would be looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (along with /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg).

I do hope you find what you need.

Tod

Old 08-12-2008, 03:33 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 22:57 -0700, Tod Merley wrote:
> but I gotta have the X11
> > applications features enabled (thus Xvfb)
> >
> Hi Ric!
>
> The little I know of virtual frame buffers is that they are used to
> test hardware or provide a virtual KVM for an X client. I think you
> simply want to get X11 running. See:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvfb
>
> For that I would be looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf (along with /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg).
>
> I do hope you find what you need.

I tried the wikipedia example and got my old friend again:
[root@iam log]# Xvfb :1 &
[1] 6791
[root@iam log]# xv -display :1 &
[2] 6793
[root@iam log]# AUDIT: Mon Aug 11 23:26:37 2008: 6791 Xvfb: client 1
rejected from local host (uid 0)
Xlib: No protocol specified

xv: Can't open display

THAT kinda error is typical of that which busts my jewels.
Does anyone suppose that it's related to gdm?? Should I use xdm?? Is
there some securetty config file to edit or something of that nature??
Xvfb seems to want to work, but somehow gets rejected. REFUSED! This
stick has beaten me for several months or more. I could use some
relief! Ric

Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 AM
"Paulo Cavalcanti"

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:33 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 22:57 -0700, Tod Merley wrote:

> *but I gotta have the X11

> > applications features enabled (thus Xvfb)

> Hi Ric!

> The little I know of virtual frame buffers is that they are used to

> test hardware or provide a virtual KVM for an X client. * I think you

> simply want to get X11 running. *See:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xvfb

> For that I would be looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and

> /etc/X11/xorg.conf (along with /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg).

> I do hope you find what you need.

I tried the wikipedia example and got my old friend again:

[root@iam log]# Xvfb :1 &

[1] 6791

[root@iam log]# xv -display :1 &

[2] 6793

[root@iam log]# AUDIT: Mon Aug 11 23:26:37 2008: 6791 Xvfb: client 1

rejected from local host (uid 0)

Xlib: No protocol specified

xv: Can't open display

THAT kinda error is typical of that which busts my jewels.

Does anyone suppose that it's related to gdm?? Should I use xdm?? Is

there some securetty config file to edit or something of that nature??

Xvfb seems to want to work, but somehow gets rejected. REFUSED! This

stick has beaten me for several months or more. I could use some

relief! Ric

Ric,

read this:

*http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/NVidia/TV-OUT

Your error is there. I used to use something like this for connecting

my TV to :1. I call the script "display.auth"* :

#!/bin/sh
# Allows the use of :1 for X.
# By default the file /tmp/.gdmxxxxxx is used.
# At each new session this script should be run.

#
xauth add "$(/bin/hostname)/unix:1" MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
$( xauth list | egrep "$(/bin/hostname)/unix:0" | awk '{print $3}' )

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ