-   -   How to install emacs on Fedora9? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/135450-how-install-emacs-fedora9.html)

whoosh 07-31-2008 11:58 PM

How to install emacs on Fedora9?

How do I install emacs to Fedora9?

or is there another recommended editor?

one other thing, I like the C formatting style:

if( x )
[ tab ]{
[ tab ]x = y ;
[ tab ]y = z ;
[ tab ]while( 1 )
[ tab ][ tab ]{
[ tab ][ tab ]printf( "?" ) ;
[ tab ][ tab ]}
[ tab ]}

where { and } are in the same column, and each level of nesting

is another [ tab ]

the code between 2 { and } chars is in the same column as the { and }

with Fedora 3 I couldnt find how to get that on emacs,

is there a way to get that formatting with emacs (which I havent yet gotten
installed

on Fedora 9) ?

Sam Varshavchik 08-01-2008 12:08 AM

whoosh writes:

How do I install emacs to Fedora9?

yum install emacs

Antonio Olivares 08-01-2008 12:26 AM

How to install emacs on Fedora9?

> How do I install emacs to Fedora9?

# yum install emacs

> or is there another recommended editor?
There is vi, it might be installed by default.

You may also have kedit if you use KDE, or gedit if you use GNOME. You have many choices.

> one other thing, I like the C formatting style:
>

> if( x )
> [ tab ]{
> [ tab ]x = y ;
> [ tab ]y = z ;
> [ tab ]while( 1 )
> [ tab ][ tab ]{
> [ tab ][ tab ]printf( "?" ) ;
> [ tab ][ tab ]}
> [ tab ]}
>
> where { and } are in the same column, and each level of
> nesting
>
> is another [ tab ]
>
> the code between 2 { and } chars is in the same column as
> the { and }
>

> with Fedora 3 I couldnt find how to get that on emacs,
>

> is there a way to get that formatting with emacs (which I
> havent yet gotten
> installed
>
> on Fedora 9) ?
If you install emacs, then you would have to play around with it so that it can do what you want. I have used it sparingly. I prefer to use kedit or gedit as they are easier to work with. I have used vi a little bit more, but I am not an expert :(

> --

Regards.

Antonio

"Andras Simon" 08-01-2008 01:16 AM

On 8/1/08, whoosh <whoosh777@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> How do I install emacs to Fedora9?
>
> or is there another recommended editor?

Absolutely not! Though some otherwise respectable folks swear by vi.
Those who use [gk]edit and such should be sentenced to two years of
Windows and Notepad.

IMHO anyway :-)

Andras

ps. While in emacs, use c-h i to access the docs; you might find the
chapter on customizing indentation in the description of CC Mode
useful if you have indentation problems.