Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 PM
fchan

Default Where do you get your servers?

Hi,
I have Penguin Computing server and they normally install CentOS by
default but you can buy RedHat or SUSE as the OS. I didn't see any
"frankenkernel" per se, however, I didn't get CentOS on mine so I
don't know if they altered it there. I got RedHat ES on mine which
wasn't altered in any serious fashion other trying to market the HPC
cluster stuff.
On the line of Penguin Computing and Fedora 6 I got a weird system
hang on that server when I was testing it for another application.
However when I reinstalled RedHat ES from CD the problem went away.

That is my $3 worth (2 cents adjusted for inflation),
Frank

micalg=pgp-sha1; protocol="application/pgp-signature"

Kevin Martin writes:

Also try Penguin Computing. That's who we use...price competitive,
understands Linux.

My recollection, the last time I checked them out, is that they ship
workstations with installed frankenkernels, and various other binary
blobs. But if they're still doing that (it's not clear after a brief
look at their website, but the fact that they sell only Nvidia video
cards is not a good sign), I would argue that they don't understand
Linux, just yet.

Attachment converted: Frank's MacBook Pro:Untitled 6360 ( / ) (0059ADEC)

Old 07-31-2008, 11:10 PM
"Robert F. Chapman"

Mazda Technologies
http://mazdatechnologies.com/

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 13:28 -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Bazooka Joe wrote:
> > Is there a company like VA was that sells servers and promotes open source?
>
> http://www.siliconmechanics.com/

Robert F. Chapman (robert.chapman@maxim-ic.com)
Senior Manufacturing Test Engineer
Test Systems Development - WWTS
Maxim Integrated Products (Sunnyvale, Ca.)
Ph: 408-530-6607

Old 08-01-2008, 03:16 PM
John Burton

We tend to get our Linux servers from: