Old 07-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default association of applications with media

Let me try one more time. Someone must know the answer to this seemingly
critical question. How to arrange it that a particular application is
used to process a particular media?

totem for example will handle DVDs or it will handle CDs, etc, etc and
so forth.

As a further example :
http://www.fedorafaq.org/
explains how totem can be used to play DVDs. Well if you install vlc
that application becomes the default for DVDs. How can that be changed?

Old 07-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Frank Cox

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:54:12 -0500
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Let me try one more time. Someone must know the answer to this seemingly
> critical question. How to arrange it that a particular application is
> used to process a particular media?

Right-click on the file's icon, select Properties - Open with

Select the program that you want to use to open files of that type.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 31 July 2008 21:54:12 Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Let me try one more time. Someone must know the answer to this seemingly
> critical question. How to arrange it that a particular application is
> used to process a particular media?
>
> totem for example will handle DVDs or it will handle CDs, etc, etc and
> so forth.
>
> As a further example :
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/
> explains how totem can be used to play DVDs. Well if you install vlc
> that application becomes the default for DVDs. How can that be changed?

Same way as you always did, as far as I can see. System Settings > Advanced >
File Associations - put extension into search box and move applications up
and down the list so that the preferred one is at the top.

Anne

Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 22:09 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 31 July 2008 21:54:12 Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > Let me try one more time. Someone must know the answer to this seemingly
> > critical question. How to arrange it that a particular application is
> > used to process a particular media?
> >
> > totem for example will handle DVDs or it will handle CDs, etc, etc and
> > so forth.
> >
> > As a further example :
> > http://www.fedorafaq.org/
> > explains how totem can be used to play DVDs. Well if you install vlc
> > that application becomes the default for DVDs. How can that be changed?
> >
> Same way as you always did, as far as I can see. System Settings > Advanced >
> File Associations - put extension into search box and move applications up
> and down the list so that the preferred one is at the top.
>
> Anne
i should have said I am using Gnome. The way we used to do it was using:
System->Preferences->Hardware->Removable Drives and Media.

I can not find any System Settings->Advanced->File Associations
Is this a KDE thing?