Old 07-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default defaullt directory for terminals.

Does anyone want to defend the change to ~/Desktop as the default
directory in opened terminals, thus throwing away 20 or 30 years of
Unix, Linux and Microsoft tradition?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Anders Karlsson

* Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> [20080731 22:33]:
> Does anyone want to defend the change to ~/Desktop as the default
> directory in opened terminals, thus throwing away 20 or 30 years of
> Unix, Linux and Microsoft tradition?

You mean you don't have a key-combo that opens a terminal for you? ;-)

Joke aside, I've noticed the change, but this was actually something I
thought was broken in the past, and that it's now actually working the
way it should have done from the start.

Nautilus usually show you on the desktop what is in ~/Desktop - so why
open a terminal in ~/ when right-clicking the desktop and doing an
"Open in terminal window" (or what the exact wording is).

You can change what Nautilus shows on your desktop as well, so it uses
your ~/ instead of ~/Desktop. Then, opening a terminal with a
right-click should do what I think you are saying you want it to do.

Cheers,

/Anders

Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Anders Karlsson

* Anders Karlsson <anders@trudheim.co.uk> [20080731 23:08]:
> * Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> [20080731 22:33]:
> > Does anyone want to defend the change to ~/Desktop as the default
> > directory in opened terminals, thus throwing away 20 or 30 years of
> > Unix, Linux and Microsoft tradition?
>
> You mean you don't have a key-combo that opens a terminal for you? ;-)
>
> Joke aside, I've noticed the change, but this was actually something I
> thought was broken in the past, and that it's now actually working the
> way it should have done from the start.
>
> Nautilus usually show you on the desktop what is in ~/Desktop - so why
> open a terminal in ~/ when right-clicking the desktop and doing an
> "Open in terminal window" (or what the exact wording is).
>
> You can change what Nautilus shows on your desktop as well, so it uses
> your ~/ instead of ~/Desktop. Then, opening a terminal with a
> right-click should do what I think you are saying you want it to do.

To pre-empt the question how to do this, I tested it and came up with
this.

// This is how you make ~/ what's shown on your Gnome desktop
$ gconftool-2 -s --type bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir true
$ killall -1 nautilus

// This is how you set it back to ~/Desktop
$ gconftool-2 -s --type bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir false
$ killall -1 nautilus

I also checked, that if you have desktop_is_home_dir==true,
right-click desktop and open terminal will open it in ~/

/Anders

Old 08-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 23:06 +0200, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> * Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> [20080731 22:33]:
> > Does anyone want to defend the change to ~/Desktop as the default
> > directory in opened terminals, thus throwing away 20 or 30 years of
> > Unix, Linux and Microsoft tradition?
>
> You mean you don't have a key-combo that opens a terminal for you? ;-)
>
> Joke aside, I've noticed the change, but this was actually something I
> thought was broken in the past, and that it's now actually working the
> way it should have done from the start.
>
> Nautilus usually show you on the desktop what is in ~/Desktop - so why
> open a terminal in ~/ when right-clicking the desktop and doing an
> "Open in terminal window" (or what the exact wording is).
>
> You can change what Nautilus shows on your desktop as well, so it uses
> your ~/ instead of ~/Desktop. Then, opening a terminal with a
> right-click should do what I think you are saying you want it to do.
>
> Cheers,
>
> /Anders

I can do all that but I just wondered why this change was made after so
may years. Why is this change wrong. Well you want to go down in your
accounts file tree and to do that you are at the wrong place to start.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 23:19 +0200, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> * Anders Karlsson <anders@trudheim.co.uk> [20080731 23:08]:
> > * Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> [20080731 22:33]:
> > > Does anyone want to defend the change to ~/Desktop as the default
> > > directory in opened terminals, thus throwing away 20 or 30 years of
> > > Unix, Linux and Microsoft tradition?
> >
> > You mean you don't have a key-combo that opens a terminal for you? ;-)
> >
> > Joke aside, I've noticed the change, but this was actually something I
> > thought was broken in the past, and that it's now actually working the
> > way it should have done from the start.
> >
> > Nautilus usually show you on the desktop what is in ~/Desktop - so why
> > open a terminal in ~/ when right-clicking the desktop and doing an
> > "Open in terminal window" (or what the exact wording is).
> >
> > You can change what Nautilus shows on your desktop as well, so it uses
> > your ~/ instead of ~/Desktop. Then, opening a terminal with a
> > right-click should do what I think you are saying you want it to do.
>
> To pre-empt the question how to do this, I tested it and came up with
> this.
>
> // This is how you make ~/ what's shown on your Gnome desktop
> $ gconftool-2 -s --type bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir true
> $ killall -1 nautilus
>
> // This is how you set it back to ~/Desktop
> $ gconftool-2 -s --type bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_is_home_dir false
> $ killall -1 nautilus
>
> I also checked, that if you have desktop_is_home_dir==true,
> right-click desktop and open terminal will open it in ~/
>
> /Anders

Much easier to do it with the Configuration Editor; yoo don't have to
remember that stuff in the execution line.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 PM
"Stephen Berg (Contractor)"

Aaron Konstam wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't setting /apps/nautilus-open-terminal/desktop_opens_home_dir to
true be the setting to change?

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

Old 08-01-2008, 02:11 PM
ahmet coban

look please help me i dont wanna this service mail how it could i dont know i wantes only a fedora cds but non-stop im taking mail this is terrible i don know alot of english

Old 08-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Anders Karlsson

* Stephen Berg (Contractor) <stephen.berg.ctr@nrlssc.navy.mil> [20080801 16:09]:
[snip]
> Wouldn't setting /apps/nautilus-open-terminal/desktop_opens_home_dir to
> true be the setting to change?

That's even better.

I did not see that settings key tbh. I'll have a look at what other
goodies there is to change in there.

Thanks!

/Anders

Old 08-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 14:11 +0000, ahmet coban wrote:
> look please help me i dont wanna this service mail how it could i dont

Look down below this text, visit the "unsubscribe" link.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 08:51 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I can do all that but I just wondered why this change was made after
> so may years. Why is this change wrong. Well you want to go down in
> your accounts file tree and to do that you are at the wrong place to
> start.

I imagine it's a side-effect of using Nautilus with an all-purpose "open
this directory in a terminal" menu item (on the desktop, you're in the
~/Desktop directory). Rather than a generic "open a terminal" menu item
for the desktop menu.