Old 07-31-2008, 07:31 PM
"Bazooka Joe"

Default Where do you get your servers?

Is there a company like VA was that sells servers and promotes open source?

Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 PM
"Stephen Berg (Contractor)"

Bazooka Joe wrote:

Is there a company like VA was that sells servers and promotes open source?

www.microway.com sells some good equipment and can pre-load a few
different distros.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

Old 07-31-2008, 07:44 PM
"Bazooka Joe"

thx - I will check them out.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 PM
Kevin Martin

Bazooka Joe wrote:

thx - I will check them out.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Stephen Berg (Contractor)
Is there a company like VA was that sells servers and promotes open
source?

www.microway.com sells some good equipment and can pre-load a few different
distros.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator
NRL Code: 7321
Office: 228-688-5738
stephen.berg.ctr@nrlssc.navy.mil
--

Also try Penguin Computing. That's who we use...price competitive,
understands Linux.

Kevin

Old 07-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Gordon Messmer

http://www.siliconmechanics.com/

Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Kevin Martin writes:

Also try Penguin Computing. That's who we use...price competitive,
understands Linux.

My recollection, the last time I checked them out, is that they ship
workstations with installed frankenkernels, and various other binary blobs.
But if they're still doing that (it's not clear after a brief look at their
website, but the fact that they sell only Nvidia video cards is not a good
sign), I would argue that they don't understand Linux, just yet.