Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Nigel Henry

Default No space for new partition on SATA drive, but 61GBfreespace

This is the first time that I've used SATA harddrives on this new machine that
I've built, so am a bit in the dark.

Fedora 8 is using sda1 for / , and sda2 for /home. sda3 is swap

sda4 (the 4th primary is the extended partition)

sda5, and 6, are / , and /home for another linux distro
sda7, and 8, are / , and /home for another linux distro
sda9, and 10, are / , and /home for yet another linux distro
sda11, and 12, are / , and /home for another linux distro

There is still showing 61020 MB of free space on the drive, but trying to
create a new partition for the install of Fedora 9, with 10000MB for / I get
the following output. Written in freehand.

Error Partitioning

ould not allocate requested partitions: Partitioning failed: Could not
allocate partitions as primary partitions. Not enough space left to create
partition for /.

I'm sure I've seen some stuff about partition limits on SATA drives, but can't
remember where. If there are limits, are there any workarounds so that I can
use this 61+GB of freespace.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nigel.