Old 07-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Ubence Quevedo

Default Installing i386 packages via yum on a x86_64 F9 based system

Hi Everyone,

I recently reformatted my x86_64 F9 based system, and somehow before the format I was able to install i386 packages via yum [I forgot exactly how I did this]. Now after the reformat, when I try to specify i386 packages to install [yum list *.i386], I get no results returned. Is there a specific repo I need to enable to access the i386 packages? The reason for this question is because I manually installed the x86 version of Firefox, and the required libraries and files to run i386 Firefox aren't installed as part of the x86_64 install.

Can someone please advise on how I can install i386 packages via yum on a x86_64 based system?

Thanx!

-Ubence

Old 07-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Giovanni Cucca

Il Thursday 31 July 2008 16:48:46 Ubence Quevedo ha scritto:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I recently reformatted my x86_64 F9 based system, and somehow before
> the format I was able to install i386 packages via yum [I forgot
> exactly how I did this]. Now after the reformat, when I try to
> specify i386 packages to install [yum list *.i386], I get no results
> returned. Is there a specific repo I need to enable to access the
> i386 packages? The reason for this question is because I manually
> installed the x86 version of Firefox, and the required libraries and
> files to run i386 Firefox aren't installed as part of the x86_64
> install.
>
> Can someone please advise on how I can install i386 packages via yum
> on a x86_64 based system?
>
> Thanx!
>
> -Ubence

[oneiros@sincity ~]$ yum list | grep i386
OpenEXR-libs.i386 1.6.1-3.fc9
installed
adobe-release-i386.noarch 1.0-1
installed
alsa-lib.i386 1.0.16-3.fc9
installed

[snip]

zvbi-devel.i386 0.2.30-1.fc9 fedora
zziplib.i386 0.13.49-5.fc9 fedora
zziplib-devel.i386 0.13.49-5.fc9 fedora

There are plenty of i386 packages in the Fedora repos, but firefox isn't
there, or at least I didn't find it (I use Konqueror anyway :P).
If you're searching 32-bit Firefox for the plugins (i.e. the Flash
plugin) you can always use one of the free plugins avilable (Gnash or
swfdec) or the proprietary plugin via nspluginwrapper (you can follow
the guide here: http://fedora64.org/solved/browser-solutions/flash ).
If you have other uses for 32-bit Firefox, well, then I don know :P

Giovanni
--
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.x86_64

Old 07-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Ubence Quevedo

Thank you for the response.

I'm not looking to install the 32-Bit Firefox via yum, because I've already downloaded it from the mozilla website. I'm trying to run the 32-Bit Firefox and it is complaining about missing libraries. I fixed this before by getting the i386 version of the libraries via yum, but I can't remember how I got the relevant gtk related i386 libraries I needed. For example, bugbuddy is one of the dependencies I need, but when I did: yum list *bug*buddy*i386, I didn't get any results back. So, that is why I thought I needed to get the i386 repo information.

And I'm running the 32-Bit version of Firefox because there is no 64-Bit version of Flash, and I don't feel like running some type of compatibility mode to get it to work.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanx!

-Ubence

Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Giovanni Cucca

Il Thursday 31 July 2008 18:15:22 Ubence Quevedo ha scritto:
> Thank you for the response.
>
> I'm not looking to install the 32-Bit Firefox via yum, because I've
> already downloaded it from the mozilla website. I'm trying to run
> the 32-Bit Firefox and it is complaining about missing libraries. I
> fixed this before by getting the i386 version of the libraries via
> yum, but I can't remember how I got the relevant gtk related i386
> libraries I needed. For example, bugbuddy is one of the dependencies
> I need, but when I did: yum list *bug*buddy*i386, I didn't get any
> results back. So, that is why I thought I needed to get the i386
> repo information.

[oneiros@sincity ~]$ yum search bug-buddy
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, merge-conf, refresh-packagekit
* livna: mirror.atrpms.net
* fedora: ftp.crihan.fr
* updates: alviss.et.tudelft.nl
================================================== ========== Matched:
bug-buddy ================================================== ===========
bug-buddy.i386 : A bug reporting utility for GNOME
bug-buddy.x86_64 : A bug reporting utility for GNOME
gnome-python2-bugbuddy.x86_64 : Python bindings for interacting with
bug-buddy

Try to use yum search instead of yum list

BTW, please don't top post.

Giovanni

--
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.x86_64

Old 07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Ubence Quevedo

> Il Thursday 31 July 2008 18:15:22 Ubence Quevedo ha scritto:
> > Thank you for the response.
> >
> > I'm not looking to install the 32-Bit Firefox via yum, because I've
> > already downloaded it from the mozilla website. I'm trying to run
> > the 32-Bit Firefox and it is complaining about missing libraries. I
> > fixed this before by getting the i386 version of the libraries via
> > yum, but I can't remember how I got the relevant gtk related i386
> > libraries I needed. For example, bugbuddy is one of the dependencies
> > I need, but when I did: yum list *bug*buddy*i386, I didn't get any
> > results back. So, that is why I thought I needed to get the i386
> > repo information.
>
> [oneiros@sincity ~]$ yum search bug-buddy
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, merge-conf, refresh-packagekit
> * livna: mirror.atrpms.net
> * fedora: ftp.crihan.fr
> * updates: alviss.et.tudelft.nl
> ================================================== ========== Matched:
> bug-buddy ================================================== ===========
> bug-buddy.i386 : A bug reporting utility for GNOME
> bug-buddy.x86_64 : A bug reporting utility for GNOME
> gnome-python2-bugbuddy.x86_64 : Python bindings for interacting with
> bug-buddy
>
> Try to use yum search instead of yum list
>
> BTW, please don't top post.
>
> Giovanni
>
> --
> Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
> 2.6.25.11-97.fc9.x86_64

Sorry, it looks like Yahoo mail wants to put all responses on top. I never really thought that was a problem until I tried to read a post that was all over the place. :^)

I think I'll have to do a combination of yum search, yum list, and possibly rpmfind.net to get the packages I need. I just wish it were easier to use yum to find what I want without having to do so much!

Thanx for the response...

-Ubence

Old 07-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Armin

On Thursday 31 July 2008 11:48:46 Ubence Quevedo wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I recently reformatted my x86_64 F9 based system, and somehow
before the
> format I was able to install i386 packages via yum [I forgot exactly
how I
> did this]. Now after the reformat, when I try to specify i386 packages
> install [yum list *.i386], I get no results returned. Is there a specific
> repo I need to enable to access the i386 packages? The reason for
this
> question is because I manually installed the x86 version of Firefox, and
> the required libraries and files to run i386 Firefox aren't installed as
> part of the x86_64 install.
>
> Can someone please advise on how I can install i386 packages via
yum on a
> x86_64 based system?
>
> Thanx!
>
> -Ubence
with $ yum install foobar.i386

--
Armin

Old 07-31-2008, 07:33 PM
Armin

On Thursday 31 July 2008 13:15:22 Ubence Quevedo wrote:
> Thank you for the response.
>
> I'm not looking to install the 32-Bit Firefox via yum, because I've
already
> downloaded it from the mozilla website. I'm trying to run the 32-Bit
> Firefox and it is complaining about missing libraries. I fixed this before
> by getting the i386 version of the libraries via yum, but I can't
remember
> how I got the relevant gtk related i386 libraries I needed. For
example,
> bugbuddy is one of the dependencies I need, but when I did: yum list
> *bug*buddy*i386, I didn't get any results back. So, that is why I
thought
> I needed to get the i386 repo information.
>
> And I'm running the 32-Bit version of Firefox because there is no 64-
Bit
> version of Flash, and I don't feel like running some type of
compatibility
> mode to get it to work.
>
> Does anyone else have any ideas?
>
> Thanx!
>
> -Ubence

you can use the 64bit version of firefox with 32bit flash, just follow this
link.

http://fengshaun.wordpress.com/2008/06/24/enabling-flash-support-for-
firefox-in-fedora-9-for-64bit-arch/

it's short and to the point!!

--
Armin

Old 07-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Giovanni Cucca

Il Thursday 31 July 2008 20:00:23 Ubence Quevedo ha scritto:
> I think I'll have to do a combination of yum search, yum list, and
> possibly rpmfind.net to get the packages I need. I just wish it were
> easier to use yum to find what I want without having to do so much!
>
> Thanx for the response...
>
> -Ubence

Maybe I have a (dirty) solution in mind: you can grab the firefox i386
RPM from a mirror, like
http://fedora.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/fedora/linux/updates/9/i386/firefox-3.0.1-1.fc9.i386.rpm
and then yum localinstall /path/to/firefox-3.0.1-1.fc9.i386, it will
try to resolve dependencies automatically.
I don't really know if it will work, but if you really, really want a
32-bit firefox maybe you can try and pray $DEITY that it work :P

Giovanni
--
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.x86_64

Old 07-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Ubence Quevedo

> Il Thursday 31 July 2008 20:00:23 Ubence Quevedo ha scritto:
> > I think I'll have to do a combination of yum search, yum list, and
> > possibly rpmfind.net to get the packages I need. I just wish it were
> > easier to use yum to find what I want without having to do so much!
> >
> > Thanx for the response...
> >
> > -Ubence
>
> Maybe I have a (dirty) solution in mind: you can grab the firefox i386
> RPM from a mirror, like
> http://fedora.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/fedora/linux/updates/9/i386/firefox-3.0.1-1.fc9.i386.rpm
>
> and then yum localinstall /path/to/firefox-3.0.1-1.fc9.i386, it will
> try to resolve dependencies automatically.
> I don't really know if it will work, but if you really, really want a
> 32-bit firefox maybe you can try and pray $DEITY that it work :P
>
> Giovanni
> --
> Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
> 2.6.25.11-97.fc9.x86_64

Actually, I had this working perfectly before I reformatted my system using the Firefox that I downloaded from Mozilla's website, I just couldn't remember how I resolved the dependencies through yum to get the i386 libraries that I needed. Plus I like running the Mozilla original Firefox instead of the Fedora rolled Firefox, at least I feel I have a little more control of the settings and what not. I also don't mind doing some manual dependency hunting, it reminds me of the old days...[as sadistic as that sounds].

heh...$DEITY...that never gets old. :^)

-Ubence

Old 08-01-2008, 03:07 AM
Ubence Quevedo

[...]

For any that are interested, I installed the following i386 packages
on 64-Bit F9 to get Firefox 32-Bit from the Mozilla web site to work:

yum install bug-buddy.i386 libXt.i386 gtk-nodoka-engine.i386

There were a lot of dependencies that were installed with bug-buddy
[probably the majority of what I needed anyway].

Hope this helps someone out there.

-Ubence