Old 07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Peter Boy

Default problem with radeon dual head xinerama mode

Hi,

I used my radeon dual DVI card up to F7 without any problems in MergedFB
mode as one big screen (xinerama). In Fedora 9 MergedFB mode is gone and
replaced by randr compatible configuration. I figured out how to modify
xorg.conf.

My current state is:

- as soon as graphical boot screen comes up I can move the
mouse from one screen to the other and back, it is, it feels
like xinerama, but only one screen is used for messages - OK

- when gdm starts I have one big screen as expected - OK

- after login the display switches to cloned configuration - Problem

- I can manually switch to one big screen (xinerama-like) using
xrandr --output DVI-0 --right-of DVI-1

Obviously I have missed something in my configuration file. Please,
could someone have a look on it?

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "ATI dual head configuration"
Screen 0 "Default Screen" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

.... (keyboard / mouse left off)

Section "Device"

Identifier "ATI Radeon"
Driver "radeon"
VendorName "ATI corp."
BoardName "ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon 9600]"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
# Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
Option "Monitor-DVI-0" "Panel-0"
Option "Monitor-DVI-1" "Panel-1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Panel-1"
ModelName "NEC MultiSync LCD1700NX (Digital)"
Option "dpms"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier "Panel-0"
ModelName "NEC MultiSync LCD1700NX (Digital)"
Option "dpms"
Option "RightOf" "Panel-1"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "ATI Radeon"
# Monitor "Panel-1"
DefaultDepth 24

SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
# big virtual screen to place the monitors
Virtual 2560 1024
EndSubSection

EndSection

There is no error message in Xorg.log but an information:

Any help greatly appreciated.
(==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen".
Using a default monitor configuration.

If I add a monitor option it makes no difference.

Peter