Old 07-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Bruno Costacurta

Default livcecd-iso-to-disk: USB key do not boot (BIOS setup is fine)

Hello,

I'm trying to build a USB bootable key with file 'Fedora-9-i686-Live-KDE.iso'

Command is :
sudo livecd-iso-to disk Fedora-9-i686-Live-KDE.iso /dev/sdd1

which runs fine, boot loader included, and reports that USB key is
ready for use ... however the key is not ignored during boot (the sequence
continue correctly with following drive in the BIOS boot order).

I'm using an Asus eee pc (model 900) which is correctly configured to boot via
USB key as I tried it with a Debian bootable USB key which boots fine.
I also tried another .iso, (precisely the EEdora dedicated to Asus eee) but
got same problem.

---
fdisk -l /dev/sdd

Disk /dev/sdd: 1030 MB, 1030750208 bytes
32 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1014 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1984 * 512 = 1015808 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xb0bcd68e

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdd1 * 1 1014 1005857 6 FAT16
---

which looks correct.
So opparently the problem come from livecd command whatever final report OK.
Is there some knwon problem with livecd-iso-to-disk ? I'm using Fedora-9.
Or can I build a USB key using another as a workaround ?

Many thanks for attention and any clue.

Bye,
Bruno

Old 07-31-2008, 01:37 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Bruno Costacurta wrote:

[...]

You may have to run "syslinux -s /dev/sdd1". I forget where I found
it, but with the version of syslinux included in F8, and probably
F9, needs this before the USB key is recognized as a boot device.
The latest version is susposed to handle this automatically, but it
has not make it to F8 yet.

Mikkel

Old 07-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Bruno Costacurta

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Bruno Costacurta wrote:

[...]

'syslinux -s /dev/sdd1' (which runs fine) unfortunately seems not to
resolve the problem : the USB key remains non-bootable... :-(

Bye,
Bruno

Old 08-01-2008, 12:47 PM
"Richard Shaw"

[...]

The livecd-iso-to-disk script does take care of this for you so I'm not surprised.* If there are no errors generated then the USB drive and MB BIOS may just not like each other. If you can afford to buy a different brand usb memory stick I would try that. I use a 4GB Corsair Flash Voyager stick and it works fine in my HP 8510 laptop.

Richard.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Bruno Costacurta

On Friday 01 August 2008 14:47:38 Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Bruno Costacurta <pubmb.bco@pt.lu> wrote:
> > Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> >> but with the version of syslinux included in F8, and probably F9, needs
> >> this before the USB key is recognized as a boot device. The latest
> >> version is susposed to handle this automatically, but it has not make it
> >> to F8 yet.
> >>
> >> Mikkel
> >
> > 'syslinux -s /dev/sdd1' (which runs fine) unfortunately seems not to
> > resolve the problem : the USB key remains non-bootable... :-(
> >
> > Bye,
> > Bruno
>
> The livecd-iso-to-disk script does take care of this for you so I'm not
> surprised. If there are no errors generated then the USB drive and MB BIOS
> may just not like each other. If you can afford to buy a different brand
> usb memory stick I would try that. I use a 4GB Corsair Flash Voyager stick
> and it works fine in my HP 8510 laptop.
>
> Richard.

Definitely the problem seems to be in the livecd-iso-to-disk, but I have no
clue about why and how to resolve ...
I confirm boot with this USB key work fine using another distro (precisely the
eeeDebian one).

Bye,
Bruno

Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Richard Shaw wrote:

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

You may have to run "syslinux -s /dev/sdd1". I forget where I
found it, but with the version of syslinux included in F8, and
probably F9, needs this before the USB key is recognized as a
boot device. The latest version is susposed to handle this
automatically, but it has not make it to F8 yet.

Mikkel

The livecd-iso-to-disk script does take care of this for you so I'm not
surprised. If there are no errors generated then the USB drive and MB
BIOS may just not like each other. If you can afford to buy a different
brand usb memory stick I would try that. I use a 4GB Corsair Flash
Voyager stick and it works fine in my HP 8510 laptop.

Richard.

I am trying to find where it said that again, but I know I had to do
it to make it work on my system when I used the livecd-iso-to-disk
script from the F9 live CD and an F8 system. The latest syslinux for
F8 is livecd-iso-to-disk script and you need version 3.5.0 or later
for it to work. (The F8 livecd-iso-to-disk script does not support
persistent overlays.

There is a good howto at:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

Mikkel

Old 08-01-2008, 05:27 PM
"Richard Shaw"

[...]

I did notice the persistent overlay issue with the F8 version of livecd-tools so I copied the script that liveusb-creator put on my flash drive over my F8 version and it worked fine. Maybe more than the overlay option was changed between versions? I didn't do a diff of the two but I may do that when I get home from work.

Richard