Old 07-31-2008, 01:55 AM
Giovanni Cucca

Default Problems with ath5k and Madwifi drivers

Hi all,
I have a problem with wireless not working on my laptop.
I have an Atheros card, but neither ath5k nor Madwifi drivers are
working.

[oneiros@sincity ~]$ /sbin/lspci |grep Atheros
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

When using the ath5k driver, it will bring up wlan0, but then is
incapable of scanning for network, or even to manually connect to known
ESSIDs. If I deactivate and reactivate wireless in NetworkManager, I
have those messages in /var/log/messages:

Jul 31 03:32:35 sincity NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): device state
change: 3 -> 2
Jul 31 03:32:35 sincity NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): deactivating
device.
Jul 31 03:32:35 sincity NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): taking down
device.
Jul 31 03:32:38 sincity NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): bringing up
device.
Jul 31 03:32:38 sincity kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not
ready
Jul 31 03:32:38 sincity NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0): device state
change: 2 -> 3

If I use the madwifi drivers, I get this error at the startup:

Avvio del demone Avahi... Timeout reached while waiting for return value
Could not receive return value from daemon process [FALLITO]

then it tries to load cups and there it hungs forever.

How can I bring up wireless?

Giovanni
--
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.x86_64

Old 08-17-2008, 05:49 PM
huppert

ath5k shipped with Fedora 8/9 doesn't work with the AR500EG pci-express card. The simplest solution is to take the old ath_pci driver from madwifi. The only problem is to compile it with the current iw_handler.h file. Take the old one of Fedora 7 and use it temporarily just to compile the madwifi sources. Additionally you have to prevent loading eth5k removing it from modules.dep.
Andreas

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=283711&topic_id=59918&forum= 10#forumpost283711
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@fcp.surfsite.org and/or blame a.hup@web.de.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Jim

huppert wrote:

ath5k shipped with Fedora 8/9 doesn't work with the AR500EG pci-express card. The simplest solution is to take the old ath_pci driver from madwifi. The only problem is to compile it with the current iw_handler.h file. Take the old one of Fedora 7 and use it temporarily just to compile the madwifi sources. Additionally you have to prevent loading eth5k removing it from modules.dep.
Andreas

I have a eeepc 701 Fedora 9 installed and I had the problem with the
Fedora Driver, I track down the madwifi-nr-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz and
compiled with no problems and got my wireless card working with WEP
One thing you have to do is goto /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and blacklist
ath5k fedora driver.