Old 07-31-2008, 01:24 AM
Steve Blackwell

Default Samba & Vista

I'm trying to use smbclient to look at a Vista box but I keep getting

# smbclient -L user-pc -U Kellie
Password: <I enter a_user password>
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

I know the user/password combination is good.

I googled around and got the impression that Vista didn't play well
with Samba because of some authentication protocol that Vista uses but
I also got the impression that the problem was with older version of
Samba. I never could find a definitive answer. Does someone know for
sure?

Below I've put the output of
# smbclient -L user-pc -U Kellie -d4

The bit that says
Password:
Doing spnego session setup (blob length=46)
got OID=1 3 6 1 4 1 311 2 2 10
got principal=<null>

looks a bit suspect but I don't really know what I'm looking at so it
could be perfectly OK. Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Steve

# smbclient --version
Version 3.0.30-0.fc8

# smbclient -L user-pc -U Kellie -d4
lp_load: refreshing parameters
Initialising global parameters
params.cm_process() - Processing configuration file
"/etc/samba/smb.conf" Processing section "[global]"
doing parameter workgroup = WORKGROUP
doing parameter server string = Steve's Samba Server Version %v
doing parameter preferred master = yes
doing parameter hosts allow = 127. 192.168.1.
doing parameter client ntlmv2 auth = yes
doing parameter log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
doing parameter max log size = 50
doing parameter security = user
doing parameter passdb backend = tdbsam
doing parameter local master = no
doing parameter cups options = raw
doing parameter username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
pm_process() returned Yes
added interface ip=192.168.1.100 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Client started (version 3.0.30-0.fc8).
Connecting to 192.168.1.147 at port 445
session request ok
Password:
Doing spnego session setup (blob length=46)
got OID=1 3 6 1 4 1 311 2 2 10
got principal=<null>
Got challenge flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x628a8215
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_UNICODE
NTLMSSP_REQUEST_TARGET
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_SIGN
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_NTLM
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_ALWAYS_SIGN
NTLMSSP_CHAL_ACCEPT_RESPONSE
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_NTLM2
NTLMSSP_CHAL_TARGET_INFO
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_128
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_KEY_EXCH
NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_UNICODE
NTLMSSP_REQUEST_TARGET
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_SIGN
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_NTLM
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_ALWAYS_SIGN
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_NTLM2
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_128
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_KEY_EXCH
NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_UNICODE
NTLMSSP_REQUEST_TARGET
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_SIGN
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_NTLM
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_ALWAYS_SIGN
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_NTLM2
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_128
NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_KEY_EXCH
SPNEGO login failed: Logon failure
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE