Old 07-30-2008, 04:43 PM

Default telephone answering + voice mail + recording

Old 07-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Minto Joseph

g wrote:

Asterisk
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk
http://www.asterisk.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterisk_(PBX)

Old 07-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Phil Meyer

g wrote:

greets,

would like to set up a system to answer telephone calls, voice mail,
record phone conversations for home use.

any and all suggestions and comments [regarding 'subject:'] welcome.

tia.

asterik@home was all the rage a couple years ago. Probably still the
best, although renamed to trixbox.

http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/

We researched this to great detail, but its been a while.

The full blown asterisk is certainly overkill, but certainly capable.

http://www.asterisk.org/

Old 07-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Craig White

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 16:43 +0000, g wrote:

> greets,
>
> would like to set up a system to answer telephone calls, voice mail,
> record phone conversations for home use.
>
> any and all suggestions and comments [regarding 'subject:'] welcome.
----
while others have suggested asterisk (and it's a very good choice -
though I would recommend that you stay away from trixbox), if you want
to just use POTS instead of VOIP, check out VOCP package at
sourceforge.net

Craig

Old 07-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 16:43:13 +0000,
g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> greets,
>
> would like to set up a system to answer telephone calls, voice mail,
> record phone conversations for home use.
>
> any and all suggestions and comments [regarding 'subject:'] welcome.

You might also take a look at callweaver. They are derived from asterisk,
but have more open development.

If you are looking to buy hardware to handle POTS, be sure to look around.
You can use cheap modem cards, but they aren't supposed to work as well.
Be careful if you look at Digium hardware. They don't want to get their
drivers in the mainline kernel so getting updates for them are going to
require using a third party repository. You may want to look at other
companies' hardware to see if you can find something better supported
for a comparable price.