Old 07-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Martin Sourada

Default add Cambridge to some of the proposals?

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 17:21 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just thought that since we already have the F10 name (cambridge) that
> > we could try to join it into some of the themes. Perhaps some simplified
> > picture of the Cambridge University in sepia tone would work for
> > steampunk? Or perhaps joining it with Spectrum might generate
> > interesting result. Just a food for thought...
>
> Something like this image (GNU FDL is OK as a license?) with my sepia
> tutorial[1] applied:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:ClareCollegeAndKingsChapel.jpg
>
> But we really want a photographic background?
>
> [1] -
> http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2008/07/steampunk-photography-gimp-tutorial.html

I was thinking more along the lines of simplified vector version (i.e.
not photographic background), but generally yes, this is what I had in
mind. You can think of the steampunk one as if you'd like to carve these
buildings on a gold plate or something like that. Does that sound sane
to you?

Martin

Old 07-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Nicu Buculei

Martin Sourada wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of simplified vector version (i.e.
not photographic background), but generally yes, this is what I had in
mind. You can think of the steampunk one as if you'd like to carve these
buildings on a gold plate or something like that. Does that sound sane
to you?

Something like the emboss filter and a gold colorization? (attached)

Old 07-30-2008, 03:16 PM
"María Leandro"

I'm really sorry for what i'm about to say... but you should consider the options that are in the way now; and the time for the round 1 is over. Besides, Fedora is for a lot of countries, and I don't think it could be a good idea make the art based on a location.

is just my perception... don't want to make a flame.

2008/7/31 Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro>

Martin Sourada wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of simplified vector version (i.e.

not photographic background), but generally yes, this is what I had in

mind. You can think of the steampunk one as if you'd like to carve these

buildings on a gold plate or something like that. Does that sound sane

to you?

Something like the emboss filter and a gold colorization? (attached)

tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro
http://www.tatica.org
http://www.iseit.net
http://www.latinux.org

http://www.latinux.com
http://www.fedora-ve.org
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MariaLeandro

LinuxUser= 440285
GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56
"Be yourself... Don't be anyone else"

Old 07-30-2008, 03:23 PM
RazGriz

+1

Martin Sourada wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of simplified vector version (i.e.

not photographic background), but generally yes, this is what I had in

mind. You can think of the steampunk one as if you'd like to carve these

buildings on a gold plate or something like that. Does that sound sane

to you?

Something like the emboss filter and a gold colorization? (attached)

tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro
http://www.tatica.org
http://www.iseit.net

http://www.latinux.org

http://www.latinux.com
http://www.fedora-ve.org
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MariaLeandro

LinuxUser= 440285
GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56
"Be yourself... Don't be anyone else"

RazGriz
The Solo_-Wing.
Diretor de Arte
GNU-LIA--=www.gnu-lia.org
2 Tons Comunicação
Revista Fedora Brasil
Portal O-Gimp

-=-=:Quem constrói a realidade é você.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Martin Sourada

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 10:46 +0000, =?ISO-8859-1?Q? Mar=EDa_Leandro _
wrote:
> I'm really sorry for what i'm about to say... but you should consider
> the options that are in the way now; and the time for the round 1 is
> over. Besides, Fedora is for a lot of countries, and I don't think it
> could be a good idea make the art based on a location.
>
> is just my perception... don't want to make a flame.

I didn't intend to make new proposal, but rather suggest to take the
release name into account in Round 2. Work with it *inside* the options
that are in the "game". If people are okay with it and willing to
implement it, then it's cool, if not, then it's OK as well. The most
important thing is the final result. We received lot of positive *and*
negative feedback on the sulphuric waves during last release and as a
result we changed it to something better on the last minute, but I don't
feel like if it was dead end. It was also quite well accepted in the
Alpha/Beta/Gamma...err...Final release banners ;-)

And I also feel that Cambridge has more artistic potential than
sulphur ;-)

Martin

Old 07-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Martin Sourada

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 18:04 +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> > I was thinking more along the lines of simplified vector version (i.e.
> > not photographic background), but generally yes, this is what I had in
> > mind. You can think of the steampunk one as if you'd like to carve these
> > buildings on a gold plate or something like that. Does that sound sane
> > to you?
>
> Something like the emboss filter and a gold colorization? (attached)

Yeah, something like that. If it was intended for the final wallpaper
I'd however add some more steampunk effects, make the contrast a lot
less (the way it is now is nice, but too distractive) and perhaps use
only the building(s). Also the level of detail could be IMHO even less.

Martin

Old 07-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Ian Weller

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 05:21:37PM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> Something like this image (GNU FDL is OK as a license?) with my sepia
> tutorial[1] applied:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:ClareCollegeAndKingsChapel.jpg

This is also CC-BY-SA. Also an OK license.

> But we really want a photographic background?

IMHO, no. I've enjoyed the creativity of the art team much more than
what realism provides

--
Ian Weller <ianweller@gmail.com> http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint: E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226 B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36

Old 07-30-2008, 07:33 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 13:05 -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 05:21:37PM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> > Something like this image (GNU FDL is OK as a license?) with my sepia
> > tutorial[1] applied:
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:ClareCollegeAndKingsChapel.jpg
> >
> This is also CC-BY-SA. Also an OK license.
>
> > But we really want a photographic background?
> >
> IMHO, no. I've enjoyed the creativity of the art team much more than
> what realism provides

Not as FPL, but as user: +1.

--
Paul W. Frields
http://paul.frields.org/ - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/

Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Frank Murphy

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 10:46 +0000, María Leandro wrote:
> I'm really sorry for what i'm about to say... but you should consider
> the options that are in the way now; and the time for the round 1 is
> over. Besides, Fedora is for a lot of countries, and I don't think it
> could be a good idea make the art based on a location.
>
> is just my perception... don't want to make a flame.
>
> 2008/7/31 Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@nicubunu.ro>
> Martin Sourada wrote:
> I was thinking more along the lines of simplified
> vector version (i.e.
> not photographic background), but generally yes, this
> is what I had in
> mind. You can think of the steampunk one as if you'd
> like to carve these
> buildings on a gold plate or something like that. Does
> that sound sane
> to you?
>

> Something like the emboss filter and a gold colorization?
> (attached)

Your opinion is as valid as the next, personally I see nothing wrong
with the "cambridge". As most non-ukwestern users will not mattercare
know where it is. I would suggest though thet the church be taken out.

Frank

Old 07-31-2008, 12:00 AM
"Luya Tshimbalanga"

2008/7/30 María Leandro <tatadbb@gmail.com>

I'm really sorry for what i'm about to say... but you should consider the options that are in the way now; and the time for the round 1 is over. Besides, Fedora is for a lot of countries, and I don't think it could be a good idea make the art based on a location.

You can pick an element that is associated with that location and make it through illustration, abstractions. Themes from round 1 can still be used and adapted, all of them are mockup. That is where creativity is coming to rescue. =)

--
Luya Tshimbalanga
Fedora Project Contributor