FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 AM
whoosh
 
Default install woes

first I downloaded the Fedora Core 9 64 DVD iso, took many hours,

but on attempting to install, it freezes up at the test media screen.


I then downloaded all the FC9 64 CD isos, tried the first one and
it freezes up at the test media screen.

I tried submitting a report on the University of Kent form, but that
failed!


I then tried the FC9 64 net install CD and it freezes up on the
choose language screen.

The PC is an AMD Sempron 64 tower, from probably 2006. I thought
maybe there are bugs in the early AMD64 CPUs.

so I tried the FC9 32 net install iso, freezes up on the "Choose a language"

screen. That suggests it isnt a 64 bit bug.



I tried Ubuntu 64, 8.04.1 that freezes up once the desktop appears.





when I say freeze up I mean no response to keyboard (or mouse for Ubuntu).



I installed FC3 some years ago without problem, and I use FC3 and Windows XP

all the time without problem.


I decided to look at FC8 instead, unfortunately there dont appear to be
CD's, I dont want to spend 5 hours downloading the DVD and find the same
freeze up problem.




--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-30-2008, 11:42 AM
whoosh
 
Default install woes

I have an AMD64 Sempron tower system from about 2006.


if I install Ubuntu 8.04.1 desktop 64 bit, that freezes up

when the mouse pointer appears.


if I install Ubuntu 7.10 desktop 64 bit that freezes up when the

desktop appears.



If I try installing Fedora 9 that freezes up also at the

first screen, whether it is the DVD 64 iso, or the CD 64 iso,

or the CD 32 iso, or the net install CD's.



seems to be a problem with all recent versions of Linux.


Yet I can run Fedora Core 3 without problem and Windows XP

without problem.



when I say freezes up, I mean that the computer doesnt respond

to keyboard or mouse input.


I managed to install FreeBSD 7, 64 bit, but found it too complicated

to progress and reverted back to trying to install Linux.



the fact that FreeBSD 7 and Fedora Core 3 and Windows XP all are fine

means it must be a bug in all the current Linux installs.



Note that I can try to reinstall Fedora Core 3 and there is no problem

with the mouse or keyboard.



I use a 20 inch monitor and my keyboard and mouse are on double extensions,

ie 2 leads joined together: but they work fine with Fedora Core 3 so

it cannot be a power problem.










--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-30-2008, 11:53 AM
fedora
 
Default install woes

hi
when installing fedora x, one one machine i have to boot the
installation with


linux nousb

otherwise it froze alxo.

it may not be nousb at your place but something similar. try an check to
see which of the kernel options you have to specify.


good luck

suomi

whoosh wrote:

first I downloaded the Fedora Core 9 64 DVD iso, took many hours,

but on attempting to install, it freezes up at the test media screen.


I then downloaded all the FC9 64 CD isos, tried the first one and
it freezes up at the test media screen.

I tried submitting a report on the University of Kent form, but that
failed!


I then tried the FC9 64 net install CD and it freezes up on the
choose language screen.

The PC is an AMD Sempron 64 tower, from probably 2006. I thought
maybe there are bugs in the early AMD64 CPUs.

so I tried the FC9 32 net install iso, freezes up on the "Choose a language"

screen. That suggests it isnt a 64 bit bug.



I tried Ubuntu 64, 8.04.1 that freezes up once the desktop appears.





when I say freeze up I mean no response to keyboard (or mouse for Ubuntu).



I installed FC3 some years ago without problem, and I use FC3 and Windows XP

all the time without problem.


I decided to look at FC8 instead, unfortunately there dont appear to be
CD's, I dont want to spend 5 hours downloading the DVD and find the same
freeze up problem.






--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default install woes

whoosh wrote:
> I have an AMD64 Sempron tower system from about 2006.
>
>
> if I install Ubuntu 8.04.1 desktop 64 bit, that freezes up
>
> when the mouse pointer appears.
>
>
> if I install Ubuntu 7.10 desktop 64 bit that freezes up when the
>
> desktop appears.
>
Mouse problems are almost 100% hardware problems.
>
>
> If I try installing Fedora 9 that freezes up also at the
>
> first screen, whether it is the DVD 64 iso, or the CD 64 iso,
>
> or the CD 32 iso, or the net install CD's.
>
>
So why do you blame Linux for your problem?
>
> seems to be a problem with all recent versions of Linux.
>
>
> Yet I can run Fedora Core 3 without problem and Windows XP
>
> without problem.
>
>
>
> when I say freezes up, I mean that the computer doesnt respond
>
> to keyboard or mouse input.
>
> It would be useful if you could tell us what video card your using. If it is nVidia then your problem is known.
> I managed to install FreeBSD 7, 64 bit, but found it too complicated
>
> to progress and reverted back to trying to install Linux.
>
>
>
> the fact that FreeBSD 7 and Fedora Core 3 and Windows XP all are fine
>
> means it must be a bug in all the current Linux installs.
>
>
Not really.
>
> Note that I can try to reinstall Fedora Core 3 and there is no problem
>
> with the mouse or keyboard.
>
>
>
> I use a 20 inch monitor and my keyboard and mouse are on double extensions,
>
> ie 2 leads joined together: but they work fine with Fedora Core 3 so
>
> it cannot be a power problem.
>
>
It can be a problem with all the newer systems. It is possible this
is your reason for failure. Try Ubuntu 8 with another mouse and keyboard
that are seperate.

Karl

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Nigel Henry
 
Default install woes

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 11:29, whoosh wrote:
> first I downloaded the Fedora Core 9 64 DVD iso, took many hours,
>
> but on attempting to install, it freezes up at the test media screen.
>
>
> I then downloaded all the FC9 64 CD isos, tried the first one and
> it freezes up at the test media screen.
>
> I tried submitting a report on the University of Kent form, but that
> failed!
>
>
> I then tried the FC9 64 net install CD and it freezes up on the
> choose language screen.
>
> The PC is an AMD Sempron 64 tower, from probably 2006. I thought
> maybe there are bugs in the early AMD64 CPUs.
>
> so I tried the FC9 32 net install iso, freezes up on the "Choose a
> language"
>
> screen. That suggests it isnt a 64 bit bug.
>
>
>
> I tried Ubuntu 64, 8.04.1 that freezes up once the desktop appears.
>
>
>
>
>
> when I say freeze up I mean no response to keyboard (or mouse for Ubuntu).
>
>
>
> I installed FC3 some years ago without problem, and I use FC3 and Windows
> XP
>
> all the time without problem.

This may not be of much help, but I recently built a new machine with an Asus
M2N-X Plus mobo (sktAM2), and an AMD64 3800+ CPU. Nothing at all would boot
on it, install discs, or live cd's, (keyboard, mouse, whole machine locked
up), until I disabled acpi in the BIOS, so that may be worth a try.

I still had a bunch of problems installing some distros. Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon
7.10 (live cd, with option to install on desktop once booted) booted, and got
as far as startx, but locked up before showing the KDM splash screen.

Fedora 8 installed ok, but I had problems booting post install, and had to do
an interactive startup, as it was hanging at starting some services
(ip6tables, and cpu frequency scaling), which I then said (NO) to during the
interactive startup. It looks like I may have had problems also, when it got
booted as far as startx, with locking up prior to displaying GDM login
screen, as I see that I've appended the kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst
with noapic nolapic

Then I tried installing Kubuntu Breezy, which is perhaps a similar age to your
FC3, and that installed ok, using the kernel 2.6.12-9-386. Upgraded Breezy to
Dapper, as I had the updates lying about on another disk, which gave me a new
kernel 2.6.15-52-386. Rebooted into the new kernel, and it got as far as
displaying KDM to login, but again everything was locked up. Well I knew that
it booted ok with the original kernel, so tried it just to very that Dapper
would work ok with the older kernel, and no problems. Not sure if I tried
appending the new kernel with noapic nolapic, but if I did it didn't work, as
I ended up booting into runlevel 1, tried startx, and the KDE desktop opened
with no probs. So I thought I'd boot into runlevel 3, login, and try startx
as user. Appended the kernel line with a 3 in grub, booted, and no runlevel
3, but now the new kernel (2.6.15) has no problems, KDM opens, and I login
with no probs. Thats a bit weird, I know, but seems to indicate perhaps, that
it might be a kernel related problem, all these freeze ups, as no prob with
2.6.12, but probs with 2.6.15, and later.

Sorry for this very long post, but persevere please.

Now back to Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10. I tried alsorts to try and stop it
locking up when starting X. noapic, nolapic, acpi=off, noapic nolapic
(together), ll to no avail. The kernel line to boot the live cd also had a
bit "forcevesa" or something like that. I thought that should have been ok.
The pci-E graphics card is ati, but usually vesa works ok if ati won't, but I
did notice that the the monitors menu showed a resolution of 1640 x
something, and my monitor uses 1024 x 768, so maybe the lockups were due to
the monitor/graphics card being totally out of range, when trying to use
either the vesa or ati driver with booting the live cd.

I removed the forcevesa bit from the kernel line, and appended it with
acpi=off, and booted, it got as far as starting x, tried to start it a couple
of times, then dropped me back into text mode. Can't remember if I directly
edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf, to change the max res to 1024 x 768, or if I ran
dpkg --reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg, but either way, once done a startx got
me the login screen, and I got the live cd's desktop. Clicked on the icon to
install to harddrive, and that went ok, but I still have to append the kernel
line in /boot/grub/menu.lst with acpi=off, otherwise the machine locks up
when starting x.

Apologies for the long post again, but there may something here that will you
a few pointers.

As I said though, nothing would boot at all, until I disabled acpi in the
BIOS.

Btw, the processor is 64 bit, but all my installed distros are 32 bit (i386).
I also tried the 1st cd for Fedora 9 to see if there were any boot problems,
but as a few days have passed now, and have just finished dl'ing disk 6 (on
dialup), I can't remember any specific bootup problems for Fedora 9, apart
from acpi needing to be disabled in the BIOS.

All the best.

Nigel.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 PM
whoosh
 
Default install woes

On 30-Jul-08 13:06:04 Karl Larsen wrote:
>whoosh wrote:
>> I have an AMD64 Sempron tower system from about 2006.
>>
>>
>> if I install Ubuntu 8.04.1 desktop 64 bit, that freezes up
>>
>> when the mouse pointer appears.
>>
>>
>> if I install Ubuntu 7.10 desktop 64 bit that freezes up when the
>>
>> desktop appears.
>>
> Mouse problems are almost 100% hardware problems.
>>
>>
>> If I try installing Fedora 9 that freezes up also at the
>>
>> first screen, whether it is the DVD 64 iso, or the CD 64 iso,
>>
>> or the CD 32 iso, or the net install CD's.
>>
>>
> So why do you blame Linux for your problem?

because FC3 installs on the same hardware without problem and FreeBSD also
installs without problem.

ie the EARLIER Linux hasnt a problem but the later one does.

the mouse is a standard PS/2 mouse, standard PS/2 keyboard


>>
>> seems to be a problem with all recent versions of Linux.
>>
>>
>> Yet I can run Fedora Core 3 without problem and Windows XP
>>
>> without problem.
>>
>>
>>
>> when I say freezes up, I mean that the computer doesnt respond
>>
>> to keyboard or mouse input.
>>
>> It would be useful if you could tell us what video card your using. If it
>is nVidia then your problem is known.

it IS nVidia, GeForce 6600, reading this off XP where there is no problem.


>> I managed to install FreeBSD 7, 64 bit, but found it too complicated
>>
>> to progress and reverted back to trying to install Linux.
>>
>>
>>
>> the fact that FreeBSD 7 and Fedora Core 3 and Windows XP all are fine
>>
>> means it must be a bug in all the current Linux installs.
>>
>>
> Not really.

but why does FC3 have no problem but FC4 and Ubuntu 7 and 8 both have
problems?


>>
>> Note that I can try to reinstall Fedora Core 3 and there is no problem
>>
>> with the mouse or keyboard.
>>
>>
>>
>> I use a 20 inch monitor and my keyboard and mouse are on double extensions,
>>
>> ie 2 leads joined together: but they work fine with Fedora Core 3 so
>>
>> it cannot be a power problem.
>>
>>
> It can be a problem with all the newer systems. It is possible this
>is your reason for failure. Try Ubuntu 8 with another mouse and keyboard
>that are seperate.

I'll try that








>Karl

>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>


>--

>Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>Linux User
>#450462 http://counter.li.org.
> PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7


>--
>ubuntu-users mailing list
>ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Nigel Henry
 
Default install woes

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 13:42, whoosh wrote:
> I have an AMD64 Sempron tower system from about 2006.
>
>
> if I install Ubuntu 8.04.1 desktop 64 bit, that freezes up
>
> when the mouse pointer appears.
>
>
> if I install Ubuntu 7.10 desktop 64 bit that freezes up when the
>
> desktop appears.
>
>
>
> If I try installing Fedora 9 that freezes up also at the
>
> first screen, whether it is the DVD 64 iso, or the CD 64 iso,
>
> or the CD 32 iso, or the net install CD's.
>
>
>
> seems to be a problem with all recent versions of Linux.
>
>
> Yet I can run Fedora Core 3 without problem and Windows XP
>
> without problem.
>
>
>
> when I say freezes up, I mean that the computer doesnt respond
>
> to keyboard or mouse input.
>
>
> I managed to install FreeBSD 7, 64 bit, but found it too complicated
>
> to progress and reverted back to trying to install Linux.
>
>
>
> the fact that FreeBSD 7 and Fedora Core 3 and Windows XP all are fine
>
> means it must be a bug in all the current Linux installs.
>
>
>
> Note that I can try to reinstall Fedora Core 3 and there is no problem
>
> with the mouse or keyboard.
>
>
>
> I use a 20 inch monitor and my keyboard and mouse are on double extensions,
>
> ie 2 leads joined together: but they work fine with Fedora Core 3 so
>
> it cannot be a power problem.

Have you seen my (very long) reply to the Fedora list about your problem with
lockups.

Btw, I also have Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 i386 downloaded, and that booted the
live cd after appending the kernel with acpi=off.

Nigel.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM
g
 
Default install woes

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

whoosh wrote:
<snip>
> but on attempting to install, it freezes up at the test media screen.

it may be your graphics card, or something else being old.

so, at start after boot, select 'text mode'. it will get thru a lot
of hardware problems.

you will need to know your monitor configs.

hth.

- --

tc,hago.

g
.

in a free world without fences, who needs gates.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Red Hat - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIkHQD+C4Bj9Rkw/wRAo6yAJ9AD0SxQKWnvCm/ZIh1uF3OqzbpGwCgtDOw
/xHclNfBZRfYHzLZ3tja3cI=
=lLJV
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Nigel Henry
 
Default install woes

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 17:09, whoosh wrote:
> thanks for the info,
>
>
> looking at the Fedora 9 64bit DVD:
>
> the first option is:
>
>
> vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img
>
> I tried
>
> vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img noapic nolapic
>
> but that also was frozen up.
>
>
> the second option is
>
> vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img text
>
> I tried instead:
>
> vmlinuz initrd=initrd.img text noapic nolapic
>
> that is also frozen up at the:
>
> "disc found To begin testing the media ...." screen.
>
> can you suggest any other boot commands to try?

I'd try the acpi=off, but I didn't need any boot options, as far as I remember
to get Fedora 8, or 9 to boot, although as I said, I do see that I have
appended the kernel, probably post-install. Mind you that's a different
machine, different hardware to yours.

Although you have FC3 installed with no problems, I would still look in your
BIOS, and see if there is an option to disable acpi, and if so, disable it,
as, as I mentioned, I couldn't boot anything with acpi enabled on this mobo
of mine.

Nigel.
>
> On 30-Jul-08 14:25:41 Nigel Henry wrote:
> >On Wednesday 30 July 2008 11:29, whoosh wrote:
> >> first I downloaded the Fedora Core 9 64 DVD iso, took many hours,
> >>
> >> but on attempting to install, it freezes up at the test media screen.
> >>
> >>
> >> I then downloaded all the FC9 64 CD isos, tried the first one and
> >> it freezes up at the test media screen.
> >>
> >> I tried submitting a report on the University of Kent form, but that
> >> failed!
> >>
> >>
> >> I then tried the FC9 64 net install CD and it freezes up on the
> >> choose language screen.
> >>
> >> The PC is an AMD Sempron 64 tower, from probably 2006. I thought
> >> maybe there are bugs in the early AMD64 CPUs.
> >>
> >> so I tried the FC9 32 net install iso, freezes up on the "Choose a
> >> language"
> >>
> >> screen. That suggests it isnt a 64 bit bug.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> I tried Ubuntu 64, 8.04.1 that freezes up once the desktop appears.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> when I say freeze up I mean no response to keyboard (or mouse for
> >> Ubuntu).
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> I installed FC3 some years ago without problem, and I use FC3 and
> >> Windows XP
> >>
> >> all the time without problem.
> >
> >This may not be of much help, but I recently built a new machine with an
> > Asus
> >
> >M2N-X Plus mobo (sktAM2), and an AMD64 3800+ CPU. Nothing at all would
> > boot on it, install discs, or live cd's, (keyboard, mouse, whole machine
> > locked up), until I disabled acpi in the BIOS, so that may be worth a
> > try.
> >
> >I still had a bunch of problems installing some distros. Kubuntu Gutsy
> > Gibbon
> >
> >7.10 (live cd, with option to install on desktop once booted) booted, and
> > got
> >
> >as far as startx, but locked up before showing the KDM splash screen.
> >
> >Fedora 8 installed ok, but I had problems booting post install, and had to
> > do
> >
> >an interactive startup, as it was hanging at starting some services
> >(ip6tables, and cpu frequency scaling), which I then said (NO) to during
> > the interactive startup. It looks like I may have had problems also, when
> > it got booted as far as startx, with locking up prior to displaying GDM
> > login screen, as I see that I've appended the kernel line in
> > /boot/grub/menu.lst with noapic nolapic
> >
> >Then I tried installing Kubuntu Breezy, which is perhaps a similar age to
>
> your
>
> >FC3, and that installed ok, using the kernel 2.6.12-9-386. Upgraded Breezy
> > to
> >
> >Dapper, as I had the updates lying about on another disk, which gave me a
> > new
> >
> >kernel 2.6.15-52-386. Rebooted into the new kernel, and it got as far as
> >displaying KDM to login, but again everything was locked up. Well I knew
> > that
> >
> >it booted ok with the original kernel, so tried it just to very that
> > Dapper would work ok with the older kernel, and no problems. Not sure if
> > I tried appending the new kernel with noapic nolapic, but if I did it
> > didn't work, as
> >
> >I ended up booting into runlevel 1, tried startx, and the KDE desktop
> > opened with no probs. So I thought I'd boot into runlevel 3, login, and
> > try startx as user. Appended the kernel line with a 3 in grub, booted,
> > and no runlevel 3, but now the new kernel (2.6.15) has no problems, KDM
> > opens, and I login with no probs. Thats a bit weird, I know, but seems to
> > indicate perhaps, that
> >
> >it might be a kernel related problem, all these freeze ups, as no prob
> > with 2.6.12, but probs with 2.6.15, and later.
> >
> >Sorry for this very long post, but persevere please.
> >
> >Now back to Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10. I tried alsorts to try and stop it
> >locking up when starting X. noapic, nolapic, acpi=off, noapic nolapic
> >(together), ll to no avail. The kernel line to boot the live cd also had a
> >bit "forcevesa" or something like that. I thought that should have been
> > ok. The pci-E graphics card is ati, but usually vesa works ok if ati
> > won't, but I
> >
> >did notice that the the monitors menu showed a resolution of 1640 x
> >something, and my monitor uses 1024 x 768, so maybe the lockups were due
> > to the monitor/graphics card being totally out of range, when trying to
> > use either the vesa or ati driver with booting the live cd.
> >
> >I removed the forcevesa bit from the kernel line, and appended it with
> >acpi=off, and booted, it got as far as starting x, tried to start it a
> > couple
> >
> >of times, then dropped me back into text mode. Can't remember if I
> > directly edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf, to change the max res to 1024 x 768,
> > or if I ran dpkg --reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg, but either way, once
> > done a startx
>
> got
>
> >me the login screen, and I got the live cd's desktop. Clicked on the icon
> > to install to harddrive, and that went ok, but I still have to append the
> > kernel
> >
> >line in /boot/grub/menu.lst with acpi=off, otherwise the machine locks up
> >when starting x.
> >
> >Apologies for the long post again, but there may something here that will
> > you
> >
> >a few pointers.
> >
> >As I said though, nothing would boot at all, until I disabled acpi in the
> >BIOS.
> >
> >Btw, the processor is 64 bit, but all my installed distros are 32 bit
> > (i386).
> >
> >I also tried the 1st cd for Fedora 9 to see if there were any boot
> > problems, but as a few days have passed now, and have just finished
> > dl'ing disk 6 (on dialup), I can't remember any specific bootup problems
> > for Fedora 9, apart from acpi needing to be disabled in the BIOS.
> >
> >All the best.
> >
> >Nigel.
> >
> >--
> >fedora-list mailing list
> >fedora-list@redhat.com
> >To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Aart Koelewijn
 
Default install woes

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:42:39 +0100, whoosh wrote:

> I have an AMD64 Sempron tower system from about 2006.
>
>
> if I install Ubuntu 8.04.1 desktop 64 bit, that freezes up
>
> when the mouse pointer appears.
>
>
> if I install Ubuntu 7.10 desktop 64 bit that freezes up when the
>
> desktop appears.
>

I have a laptop with AMD Sempron which had simular problems. I only used
32 bit, never tried 64 bit. With 32 bit it now works perfect if started
with the option "nolapic". With 7.04 it worked ok without that option,
the problems started after that.

Aart


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:36 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org