-   -   print request completed but no printer output (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/134128-print-request-completed-but-no-printer-output.html)

Francisco Corella 07-30-2008 04:07 AM

print request completed but no printer output

Hello,

I'm trying to use a USB printer with Fedora 8. When I
plugged in the printer to the computer, Gnome
correctly identified the printer as a Brother
MFC-665CW and found a driver for it. I sent several
print requests using Firefox, and also using the
commands lp and lpr. All print jobs were successfully
completed according to lpstat, and according to
/var/log/cups/error_log. But there was no printer
output. The printer is working fine when plugged in
to a Mac. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Francisco

Simon Slater 07-30-2008 04:20 AM

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 21:07 -0700, Francisco Corella wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use a USB printer with Fedora 8. When I
> plugged in the printer to the computer, Gnome
> correctly identified the printer as a Brother
> MFC-665CW and found a driver for it. I sent several
> print requests using Firefox, and also using the
> commands lp and lpr. All print jobs were successfully
> completed according to lpstat, and according to
> /var/log/cups/error_log. But there was no printer
> output. The printer is working fine when plugged in
> to a Mac. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Francisco

I have the same model. A good place to start is here:
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html You need to go to
different pages to get the drivers for printer, scan and fax.

>From memory I had to install the brother drivers first, but hal still
created an entry in the printer list itself (a thread last year
discussed this). Take care to follow the correct sequence ( lpd driver
before cups driver) and all should go well. A current thread discusses
how to handle any SELinux denials.

Printing is working fine for me, faxes fine, scans as root but am
working on getting it for users, works USB or network but haven't tried
wireless yet.

--
Hooroo,
Simon