Old 07-30-2008, 04:06 AM
"Peter Langfelder"

Default LVM - Install F9 without LVM

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Bob Hartung <rwhart@mchsi.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> How do I install F9 without LVM? Even when selecting custom
> install/partitioning, I cannot delete the LVM volume.

Hmm.. I installed F9 on my desktop using the graphical installer
(anaconda) without LVM without any trouble. Unfortunately it was so
simple I don't remember the details anymore. Perhaps you don't want to
delete the volume but rather change its type?

HTH,

Peter

Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 AM

Bob, choose manual partioning with disk druid. Check the box: "Allow
me to review and make changes" or something like that. The you'll be
able to see a single VolumeGroup that includes the Logical Volumes.
Delete, first the Logical Volumes then the VolumeGroup. After that,
create at minimum the following partitions: /boot, /, /home, and a
swap partition. It depends what you wanna use the box for. If it is a
desktop the previous scheme will work if it is a server use /boot, /,
/tmp, /var /usr and a swap partitions.

Personally I use LVM on my boxes on a couple of desktops like this scheme:
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0

The advantage with this scheme is that I can easily resize my Logical
Volumes when I need it without any disturbance and in an easy way.
Think twice before that advantages/disadvantages of LVM before going
for a classic partiton style. I even use LVM on an itranet I use on my
job for almost five years and it works beautiful. Again, it depends
what are you gonna use the box for. Regards

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Peter Langfelder
<peter.langfelder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 7:34 PM, Bob Hartung <rwhart@mchsi.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> How do I install F9 without LVM? Even when selecting custom
>> install/partitioning, I cannot delete the LVM volume.
>>

> Hmm.. I installed F9 on my desktop using the graphical installer
> (anaconda) without LVM without any trouble. Unfortunately it was so
> simple I don't remember the details anymore. Perhaps you don't want to
> delete the volume but rather change its type?
>
> HTH,
>
> Peter

Ed Landaveri
GNU/Linux User 433512
http://counter.li.org
"Free as in Freedom"

Old 07-30-2008, 08:13 PM

Peter,
I might give it a try since I have clean HDs. However, I was of the understanding that /boot could not reside on a logical volume (ref. fedora 9 install notes on fedora.redhat.com. From your comments it appears that /boot can reside on a logical volume without difficulty.

Thanks to all others who responded also. Note that manually I could not delete the Logical Volume. Did not try to change it.

Bob.

From: edik077@gmail.com

Old 07-31-2008, 03:50 AM
Tim

edik077@gmail.com
>> Bob, choose manual partioning with disk druid. Check the box: "Allow
>> me to review and make changes" or something like that. The you'll be
>> able to see a single VolumeGroup that includes the Logical Volumes.
>> Delete, first the Logical Volumes then the VolumeGroup. After that,
>> create at minimum the following partitions: /boot, /, /home, and a
>> swap partition. It depends what you wanna use the box for. If it is a
>> desktop the previous scheme will work if it is a server use /boot, /,
>> /tmp, /var /usr and a swap partitions.
>>
>> Personally I use LVM on my boxes on a couple of desktops like this scheme:
>> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
>> LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2

Bob:
> I was of the understanding that /boot could not reside on a logical
> volume (ref. fedora 9 install notes on fedora.redhat.com. From your
> comments it appears that /boot can reside on a logical volume without
> difficulty.

No, the prior poster did not suggest that. They said to create a
separate boot partition.

NB: This is not a top posting list.

[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686