Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 PM
"Richard Shaw"

Default Can NTFS r/w support be built into the initrd?

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 16:09 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>
>> I'm using the livecd-iso-to-disk to make a bootable USB thumb drive

>> for a laptop where I don't want to alter the drive partitioning. I've
>> got a 1GB overlay on it but trying to update F9 from the iso to
>> current pretty much max's it out. I have created a 4GB overlay file on

>> the HD but it is a NTFS partition.
>>
>> I updated the syslinux.cfg to get it to find the overlay file on the
>> HD and it attempted it (I changed out the overlay= command to use the

>> HD label and UUID) but it complained that it didn't understand the
>> filesystem type. Since I can access the HD once I boot I assume I need
>> NTFS support in the initrd.
>
> Okay, I'm with you. Unfortunately, the Fedora initrd doesn't have any

> concept of fuse, or performing fuse mounts. It is not as simple as
> simply including the necessary files in the initrd, you'd need to be
> sure that the fuse kernel module, as well as the ntfs-3g bits (and

> probably the fuse userspace bits and anything they depend on) were
> there, yes, but you'd also have to add the mount commands into the
> initrd execution sequence.
>
> It's possible, but I'm not volunteering to hack it up... sorry.

> ~spot

I thought that might be the answer but wanted to at least ask. In that case a somewhat related question...

Would it be pretty easy to get the modules (ricoh_mmc and dependencies) required to use the ricoh internal SD card reader in the initrd? The other thing i wanted to do was just put syslinux on the USB drive since it will boot to that, but not the card reader, and then actually have the livecd image on an SD card.

The end result I'm looking for is to be able to plug in the USB thumb drive and boot, but after the initrd is done, be able to remove the USB drive so I don't have it sticking out of the machine, while running the live image off of the SD card.

It's just so darn easy to remove/break the usb drive off when moving around with a laptop, not to mention I have a 13 month old that is attracted to the blue LED light when it's being accessed.

Thanks,

Richard

Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 AM

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com>
> wrote:
> I thought that might be the answer but wanted to at least ask. In that
> case
> a somewhat related question...
>
> Would it be pretty easy to get the modules (ricoh_mmc and dependencies)
> required to use the ricoh internal SD card reader in the initrd? The other
> thing i wanted to do was just put syslinux on the USB drive since it will
> boot to that, but not the card reader, and then actually have the livecd
> image on an SD card.
>
> The end result I'm looking for is to be able to plug in the USB thumb
> drive
> and boot, but after the initrd is done, be able to remove the USB drive so
> don't have it sticking out of the machine, while running the live image
> off
> of the SD card.
>
> It's just so darn easy to remove/break the usb drive off when moving
> around
> with a laptop, not to mention I have a 13 month old that is attracted to
> the
> blue LED light when it's being accessed.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
> --

Richard,

It doesn't get easier as they get older. I have a 28 month old and a 5
year old both liking the computer. The 28 month old has found the KILL
switch in the back of the computer for the power supply. And my 5 year
old always wants the computer when I would like or need to use it for just
a short time.

You should be able to use a FAT or V-FAT partition. Windows should still
like those file systems and they may be easier to integrate into the
kernel than the NTFS support.

James

Old 08-05-2008, 02:24 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 16:51 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Would it be pretty easy to get the modules (ricoh_mmc and
> dependencies) required to use the ricoh internal SD card reader in the
> initrd? The other thing i wanted to do was just put syslinux on the
> USB drive since it will boot to that, but not the card reader, and
> then actually have the livecd image on an SD card.

You should be able to run:

/sbin/mkinitrd --with=ricoh_mmc -f -v /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname
-r`

The -v will cause it to be verbose, and you should be able to confirm
whether or not it sucked ricoh_mmc and dependencies in.

~spot