Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default network configuration file

Christoph Höger wrote:

Hi,

when I want a debian based system to start up an ethernet device
automagically on boot, I simply edit /etc/network/interfaces.
Is there a similar way on fedora to have a single file where static
informations go?

regards

christoph

You can find the scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. But you
also have to change a couple of services. By default, NetworkManager
runs at boot, and does not bring up the network interfaces until you
log into the GUI. If you use the network service instead, it will
bring up the network on boot instead.

chkconfig NetworkManager off
chkconfig network on

If you want to change them before you reboot, run:

service NetworkManager stop
service network start

Mikkel

Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Christoph Höger

Am Dienstag, den 29.07.2008, 15:31 -0500 schrieb Mikkel L. Ellertson:
> Christoph Höger wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > when I want a debian based system to start up an ethernet device
> > automagically on boot, I simply edit /etc/network/interfaces.
> > Is there a similar way on fedora to have a single file where static
> > informations go?
> >
> > regards
> >
> > christoph
> >
> You can find the scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. But you
> also have to change a couple of services. By default, NetworkManager
> runs at boot, and does not bring up the network interfaces until you
> log into the GUI. If you use the network service instead, it will
> bring up the network on boot instead.
>
> chkconfig NetworkManager off
> chkconfig network on
>
> If you want to change them before you reboot, run:
>
> service NetworkManager stop
> service network start
>
> Mikkel

Networkmanager (that I am very aware of ) is not an option. I should
have mentioned that I need to assign static ip addresses to some virtual
machines by editing something in their root-tree.

If I look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 that seems to be
the place to go.

Has anyone an example of that file with a static ip adress?

regards

Christoph

Old 07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:59:13 +0200
Christoph Höger <choeger@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Has anyone an example of that file with a static ip adress?

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
HWADDR=00:1C:C0:2A:00:90
IPADDR=192.168.0.3
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no

Old 07-29-2008, 09:18 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Christoph Höger wrote:

Hi,

Networkmanager (that I am very aware of ) is not an option. I should
have mentioned that I need to assign static ip addresses to some virtual
machines by editing something in their root-tree.

If I look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 that seems to be
the place to go.

Has anyone an example of that file with a static ip adress?

regards

Christoph

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=192.168.1.9
ONBOOT=yes
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
TYPE=Ethernet
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
USERCTL=no

Mikkel

Old 07-29-2008, 11:39 PM
Tom Horsley

Christoph H__ger <choeger@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Networkmanager (that I am very aware of ) is not an option. I should
> have mentioned that I need to assign static ip addresses to some virtual
> machines by editing something in their root-tree.

I find it very convenient to run dhcpd on my virtual machine host
and just config my VMs to get their network setup from DHCP. Unfortunately
the way networks are setup seems to be different on every linux distro,
so it is a pain to track down where the config is stored on different
VMs, but they all talk DHCP (even fedora 9 works if you turn off
worthless NetworkManager and turn back on network :-).

Old 07-30-2008, 02:08 AM
Marc Wilson

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 01:21:23PM -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> By default Fedora uses NetworkManager to connect to networks both wired
> and wireless. You can change things manually, but it is much easier to
> let NetWorkManger do it for you

Didn't you mean it was much easier to remove NetworkManager and let tools
that actually work configure the network for you?

I had occasion to use NM last week... it's the same POS it always was.

IMHO the *only* reason you would ever want NM around would be if you needed
to connect to a WPA-protected wireless network.

--
Marc Wilson | QOTD: On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say... oh, somewhere
msw@cox.net | in there.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 AM
Antonio Olivares

> > By default Fedora uses NetworkManager to connect to
> networks both wired
> > and wireless. You can change things manually, but it
> is much easier to
> > let NetWorkManger do it for you
>
> Didn't you mean it was much easier to remove
> NetworkManager and let tools
> that actually work configure the network for you?
Yes sir! Pretty much Tom Horsely answered the thread much better than I did. I referred the OP to Mauriat Miranda's page where the advise is to do the same as what Tom mentioned

# service NetworkManager stop
# chkconfig NetworkManager off
# chkconfig network on
# service network start

> I had occasion to use NM last week... it's the same POS
> it always was.

On a laptop in which one has both a wired network and a wireless network(that works) it is fine to have NetworkManager. Although it is a pain when dealing with protected networks. Sometimes one has to retype the password(s) to known networks.

> IMHO the *only* reason you would ever want NM around would
> be if you needed
> to connect to a WPA-protected wireless network.
Very true

> --
> Marc Wilson | QOTD: On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd
> say... oh, somewhere
> msw@cox.net | in there.

Antonio

Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Christoph Höger

Am Dienstag, den 29.07.2008, 19:39 -0400 schrieb Tom Horsley:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:59:13 +0200
> Christoph H__ger <choeger@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> > Networkmanager (that I am very aware of ) is not an option. I should
> > have mentioned that I need to assign static ip addresses to some virtual
> > machines by editing something in their root-tree.
>
> I find it very convenient to run dhcpd on my virtual machine host
> and just config my VMs to get their network setup from DHCP. Unfortunately
> the way networks are setup seems to be different on every linux distro,
> so it is a pain to track down where the config is stored on different
> VMs, but they all talk DHCP (even fedora 9 works if you turn off
> worthless NetworkManager and turn back on network :-).

Yepp, I know that this is an option, but not in my setup. Here's why:
1. machines need to be accessible from the outside, so they always need
the same ip. That would mean assigning them the correct MAC address -
which is possible but needs nearly the same work to be done as assinging
static ips (changing some string in some file)
2. admins here don't like me running dhcp servers although I know how to
_not_ make them screw up the network
3. There will be only one VM per host so a dhcp server would be a little
overkill - and the time for bootup is critical, every second helps.

So, in fact static ips are the way to go here,
and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is exactly the place to do
that fast.