FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-29-2008, 04:42 PM
"Bernd Bartmann"
 
Default SElinux and Brother printer driver problem on F8

Hi,

I installed the CUPS printer drivers for my MFC-9840CDW on my F8
system and followed the instructions from
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/linux_faq-2.html#30
to update the SElinux rules.
Printing itself works fine, but the page size is not correct. I need
A4, but all prints come out as Letter altough A4 is set in the printer
config tool. Now, whenever I print something I get a SElinux warning:

SELinux is preventing brprintconf_mfc (cupsd_t) "write" to ./inf (usr_t).

I had a look at the files under
/usr/local/Brother/Printer/mfc9840cdw/inf/ and they all contain the
wrong "Letter" setting. I suspect that the printer drivers want to
change the settings in these files to "A4", but fails due to the
SElinux issue.

What rule do I have to put where to solve this issue?

Best regards,
Bernd

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Tim Waugh
 
Default SElinux and Brother printer driver problem on F8

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 18:42 +0200, Bernd Bartmann wrote:
> Now, whenever I print something I get a SElinux warning:
>
> SELinux is preventing brprintconf_mfc (cupsd_t) "write" to ./inf (usr_t).

Looks like you need something along the lines of:

chcon -t cupsd_etc_t /usr/local/Brother/Printer/*/inf

(if that works, you might want to mention that to Brother so they can
fix their documentation).

Tim.
*/

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-29-2008, 05:12 PM
"Bernd Bartmann"
 
Default SElinux and Brother printer driver problem on F8

2008/7/29 Tim Waugh:
> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 18:42 +0200, Bernd Bartmann wrote:
>> Now, whenever I print something I get a SElinux warning:
>>
>> SELinux is preventing brprintconf_mfc (cupsd_t) "write" to ./inf (usr_t).
>
> Looks like you need something along the lines of:
>
> chcon -t cupsd_etc_t /usr/local/Brother/Printer/*/inf
>
> (if that works, you might want to mention that to Brother so they can
> fix their documentation).

Thanks Tim! That did the trick. Altough the files in the inf/
directory do not get changed I now get the printouts in A4 format and
no SElinux warning anymore.

Best regards,
Bernd.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default SElinux and Brother printer driver problem on F8

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 18:12:50 Bernd Bartmann wrote:
> 2008/7/29 Tim Waugh:
> > On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 18:42 +0200, Bernd Bartmann wrote:
> >> Now, whenever I print something I get a SElinux warning:
> >>
> >> SELinux is preventing brprintconf_mfc (cupsd_t) "write" to ./inf
> >> (usr_t).
> >
> > Looks like you need something along the lines of:
> >
> > chcon -t cupsd_etc_t /usr/local/Brother/Printer/*/inf
> >
> > (if that works, you might want to mention that to Brother so they can
> > fix their documentation).
>
> Thanks Tim! That did the trick. Altough the files in the inf/
> directory do not get changed I now get the printouts in A4 format and
> no SElinux warning anymore.
>
Bernd, I second Tim's suggestion that you should contact Brother. Some time
back I fed some info back to them and they did appreciate it.

Anne


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Daniel J Walsh
 
Default SElinux and Brother printer driver problem on F8

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 July 2008 18:12:50 Bernd Bartmann wrote:
>> 2008/7/29 Tim Waugh:
>>> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 18:42 +0200, Bernd Bartmann wrote:
>>>> Now, whenever I print something I get a SElinux warning:
>>>>
>>>> SELinux is preventing brprintconf_mfc (cupsd_t) "write" to ./inf
>>>> (usr_t).
>>> Looks like you need something along the lines of:
>>>
>>> chcon -t cupsd_etc_t /usr/local/Brother/Printer/*/inf
>>>
>>> (if that works, you might want to mention that to Brother so they can
>>> fix their documentation).
>> Thanks Tim! That did the trick. Altough the files in the inf/
>> directory do not get changed I now get the printouts in A4 format and
>> no SElinux warning anymore.
>>
> Bernd, I second Tim's suggestion that you should contact Brother. Some time
> back I fed some info back to them and they did appreciate it.
>
> Anne
>
>
>
I will change the default labeling.

/usr/local/Brother/inf(/.*)?
gen_context(system_ubject_r:cupsd_rw_etc_t,s0)

Is the current labeling.

Is there a directory before inf?

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 07-30-2008, 03:59 PM
"Bernd Bartmann"
 
Default SElinux and Brother printer driver problem on F8

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> I will change the default labeling.
>
> /usr/local/Brother/inf(/.*)?
> gen_context(system_ubject_r:cupsd_rw_etc_t,s0)
>
> Is the current labeling.
>
> Is there a directory before inf?

Dan below you'll find the setup that works for me now. The RPMS from
Brother's web site setup two printer drivers
1. the fax printer driver which seems to be located directly under
/usr/local/Brother/...
2. the real printer driver which seems to be located under
/usr/local/Brother/Printer/mfc9840cdw/...
The part mfc9840cdw will probably change depending on the actual
printer that has been configured.

[bart@riker ~]$ ls -laRZ /usr/local/Brother/
/usr/local/Brother/:
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 fax
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:cupsd_rw_etc_t:s0 inf
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0 lpd
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 Printer
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 sane

/usr/local/Brother/fax:
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
-rwxrwxrwx root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 brmfcfax.jar
-rwxrwxrwx root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 brps2brfax
-rw-rw-rw- root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 txreport.log

/usr/local/Brother/inf:
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:cupsd_rw_etc_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
-rw-rw-rw- root root system_ubject_r:cupsd_rw_etc_t:s0 brFAXrc
-rwxrwxrwx root root system_ubject_r:cupsd_rw_etc_t:s0 setupPrintcap

/usr/local/Brother/lpd:
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
-rwxrwxrwx root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0 filterBRFAX

/usr/local/Brother/Printer:
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 mfc9840cdw

/usr/local/Brother/Printer/mfc9840cdw:
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0 cupswrapper
drwxrwxrwx root root unconfined_ubject_r:cupsd_etc_t:s0 inf
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0 lpd

/usr/local/Brother/Printer/mfc9840cdw/cupswrapper:
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0 brcupsconfcl1
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0 brlpdwrapper_mfc9840cdw
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0
cupswrapperSetup_mfc9840cdw

/usr/local/Brother/Printer/mfc9840cdw/inf:
drwxrwxrwx root root unconfined_ubject_r:cupsd_etc_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:cupsd_rw_etc_t:s0 brmfc9840cdwfunc
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:cupsd_rw_etc_t:s0 brmfc9840cdwpos
-rw-rw-rw- lp lp unconfined_ubject_r:cupsd_rw_etc_t:s0 brmfc9840cdwrc
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 lut
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:cupsd_rw_etc_t:s0 paperinfij2
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:cupsd_rw_etc_t:s0 setupPrintcapij

/usr/local/Brother/Printer/mfc9840cdw/inf/lut:
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 .
drwxrwxrwx root root unconfined_ubject_r:cupsd_etc_t:s0 ..
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 0600-c06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 0600-c_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 0600-c-TS_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 0600-k06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 0600-k_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 0600-k-TS_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 0600-m06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 0600-m_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 0600-m-TS_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 0600-y06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 0600-y_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 0600-y-TS_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 capt-c06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 capt-c_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 capt-c-TS_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 capt-k06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 capt-k_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 capt-k-TS_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 capt-m06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 capt-m_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 capt-m-TS_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 capt-y06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 capt-y_cache06.bin
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 capt-y-TS_cache06.bin

/usr/local/Brother/Printer/mfc9840cdw/lpd:
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0 brmfc9840cdwfilter
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0 filtermfc9840cdw
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:bin_t:s0 psconvertij2

/usr/local/Brother/sane:
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 Brsane2.ini
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 brsaneconfig2
-rw-rw-rw- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 brsanenetdevice2.cfg
-rw-r--r-- root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 brscan_mail.config
-rw-r--r-- root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 brscan_mailmessage.txt
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 brscan-skey-0.2.1-1
-rw-r--r-- root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 brscan-skey-0.2.1-1.cfg
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 brscan-skey-0.2.1-1.sh
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 GrayCmData
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 models2
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 script
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 setupSaneScan2

/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData:
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 AL
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ALL

/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/AL:
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 brmsl09f.cm

/usr/local/Brother/sane/GrayCmData/ALL:
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 brmsl08f.cm

/usr/local/Brother/sane/models2:
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
-rw-r--r-- root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ext1.ini

/usr/local/Brother/sane/script:
drwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 .
drwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 ..
-rwxr-xr-x root root system_ubject_r:usr_t:s0
brscan_scantoemail-0.2.1-1
-rw-r--r-- root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 scantoemail-0.2.1-1.sh
-rwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 scantofile-0.2.1-1.sh
-rwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 scantoimage-0.2.1-1.sh
-rwxr-xr-x root root unconfined_ubject_r:usr_t:s0 scantoocr-0.2.1-1.sh

Best regards,
Bernd.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 PM
"Bernd Bartmann"
 
Default SElinux and Brother printer driver problem on F8

2008/7/29 Anne Wilson:
> Bernd, I second Tim's suggestion that you should contact Brother. Some time
> back I fed some info back to them and they did appreciate it.

Anne, I already tried to contact Brother twice using their web support
formular, but never got an answer back. Do you knowa specific person
that I should contact?

Best regards,
Bernd.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default SElinux and Brother printer driver problem on F8

On Friday 01 August 2008 14:39:29 Bernd Bartmann wrote:
> 2008/7/29 Anne Wilson:
> > Bernd, I second Tim's suggestion that you should contact Brother. Some
> > time back I fed some info back to them and they did appreciate it.
>
> Anne, I already tried to contact Brother twice using their web support
> formular, but never got an answer back. Do you knowa specific person
> that I should contact?
>
> Best regards,
> Bernd.

It was January 2007, so there's no guarantee that it's the same, but the reply
that I saved came from ML_SOLUTION-LINUX@mta.notes.brother.co.jp

HTH

Anne
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default SElinux and Brother printer driver problem on F8

On Friday 01 August 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
>On Friday 01 August 2008 14:39:29 Bernd Bartmann wrote:
>> 2008/7/29 Anne Wilson:
>> > Bernd, I second Tim's suggestion that you should contact Brother. Some
>> > time back I fed some info back to them and they did appreciate it.
>>
>> Anne, I already tried to contact Brother twice using their web support
>> formular, but never got an answer back. Do you knowa specific person
>> that I should contact?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bernd.
>
>It was January 2007, so there's no guarantee that it's the same, but the
> reply that I saved came from ML_SOLUTION-LINUX@mta.notes.brother.co.jp
>
>HTH
>
>Anne

If I may append here, my one experience with brothers support was handled
quickly and worked. The messages came from:

ML_SOLUTION-LINUX@mta.notes.brother.co.jp

And were apparently replied to by a real human.


--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Saint: A dead sinner revised and edited.
-- Ambrose Bierce

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 08-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Anne Wilson
 
Default SElinux and Brother printer driver problem on F8

On Friday 01 August 2008 15:22:21 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 01 August 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >On Friday 01 August 2008 14:39:29 Bernd Bartmann wrote:
> >> 2008/7/29 Anne Wilson:
> >> > Bernd, I second Tim's suggestion that you should contact Brother.
> >> > Some time back I fed some info back to them and they did appreciate
> >> > it.
> >>
> >> Anne, I already tried to contact Brother twice using their web support
> >> formular, but never got an answer back. Do you knowa specific person
> >> that I should contact?
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Bernd.
> >
> >It was January 2007, so there's no guarantee that it's the same, but the
> > reply that I saved came from ML_SOLUTION-LINUX@mta.notes.brother.co.jp
> >
> >HTH
> >
> >Anne
>
> If I may append here, my one experience with brothers support was handled
> quickly and worked. The messages came from:
>
> ML_SOLUTION-LINUX@mta.notes.brother.co.jp
>
> And were apparently replied to by a real human.
>
Yep - we had a friendly exchange that was very definitely human :-)

Anne

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:47 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org