Old 07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
"David Hláčik"

Default "sandy" fonts on fedora 9

Do not know why - but i still have feeling that fonts on Fedora 9 are little "sandy" .* I just switched from Windows Vista, where fonts antialiasing looks much better.
I am using Liberation Sans fonts .. and

1) When i try "Best Shape" in gnome font config - they are too blur
2) When i try "LCD subpixel" they are too thick and not nice

I have ASUS F3SR notebook with 15.4 LCD screen - and i am using X server from fedora 8 - as i have ATI Card and there are no ati drivers for fedora 9 currently - so i found on fedora forums steps to downgrade to Fedora 8 X server

Thanks in advance!

David

Old 07-29-2008, 01:47 PM

David Hlc(ik wrote:

Do not know why - but i still have feeling that fonts on Fedora 9 are little
"sandy" .

try 'serif'.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 15:39 +0200, David Hláčik wrote:
> Do not know why - but i still have feeling that fonts on Fedora 9 are
> little "sandy" . I just switched from Windows Vista, where fonts
> antialiasing looks much better.
> I am using Liberation Sans fonts .. and
> 1) When i try "Best Shape" in gnome font config - they are too blur
> 2) When i try "LCD subpixel" they are too thick and not nice

Try tweaking the font size slightly. LCDs aren't as good as CRTs for
displaying fonts at some small sizes. A small change can make the
difference between a font being drawn chunkily, trying to use one and a
bit pixels, to using whole pixels.

> I have ASUS F3SR notebook with 15.4 LCD screen - and i am using X
> server from fedora 8
Mine's an Asus PRO31J series, F3JC mainboard, laptop. With the same
size screen, using Fedora 9. At this stage, I've not installed the
vendor NVidia drivers, just going along with the ones supplied with the
distribution. Previously I've had Fedora 7 with it, using both Fedora
and vendor supplied drivers, and it looked just as good. It also had
Vista, and I can't say that Vista was really any better.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 PM
"David Hláčik"

Which font resolution in gnome appearance settings are you using?

D.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 15:39 +0200, David Hláčik wrote:

> Do not know why - but i still have feeling that fonts on Fedora 9 are

> little "sandy" . *I just switched from Windows Vista, where fonts

> antialiasing looks much better.

> I am using Liberation Sans fonts .. and

> 1) When i try "Best Shape" in gnome font config - they are too blur

> 2) When i try "LCD subpixel" they are too thick and not nice

Try tweaking the font size slightly. *LCDs aren't as good as CRTs for

displaying fonts at some small sizes. *A small change can make the

difference between a font being drawn chunkily, trying to use one and a

bit pixels, to using whole pixels.

> I have ASUS F3SR notebook with 15.4 LCD screen - and i am using X

> server from fedora 8

Mine's an Asus PRO31J series, F3JC mainboard, laptop. *With the same

size screen, using Fedora 9. *At this stage, I've not installed the

vendor NVidia drivers, just going along with the ones supplied with the

distribution. *Previously I've had Fedora 7 with it, using both Fedora

and vendor supplied drivers, and it looked just as good. *It also had

Vista, and I can't say that Vista was really any better.

--

[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r

2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. *I

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:10 PM
Tim

David Hláčik:
> Which font resolution in gnome appearance settings are you using?

I'll let you know all my font settings, so you can compare.

Application font is Sans 8
Document font is Sans 8
Desktop font is Sans 8
Window title font is Sans Bold 9
Fixed width font is Monospace 9
Rendering is subpixel smoothing (LCDs)
Resolution is 96 dots per inch
Hinting is is full
Subpixel order is RGB

NB: This isn't a top posting list. Trim things that don't need
quoting, then write below the bits you're responding to. See: