-   -   Filtering was: Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/133418-filtering-can-i-get-word-edgewise-here-puhlease.html)

g 07-29-2008 01:42 AM

Filtering was: Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

Ed Greshko wrote:
<snip>

Adding to work load. And I don't use tbird filters.

they can come in handy tho for what gets thru spam filtering.

*All* of my spam filtering is handled by automated processes. So, "to
me" the need to manually add filters *is* more trouble. You can't
dispute how I feel.

no dispute. but manual filtering does come in handy. especially when
it comes to cleaning up a tech list.

sb stands for "Shit for Brains"?

lol. actually, i was using it for 'soap box'. but i guess your
interpretation could apply. [now i am going to catch it]

They should not be placed in the position in the first place, IMHO.

again, 100%. but it is a fact of a tech support list that there will
be posters with nothing better to do than load down a list.

if they want to bash heads, it would be more effective/affective if
they would do it in a 'chat' some where. then they could interrupt
each other and make it more to their level.

I have seen people using procmail filtering and weights and malformed
rules getting mail discarded when they did not intend it to be so.

all a part of a learning curve that has to be dealt with. and a reason
that i do all my additional filtering with tbird.

with tbird, i set up filtering for tech list and non tech list, friends
and relatives, all by sender address. then i filter for html, which is
used by majority of spammers. what is left goes to 'occupant' which i
will check for time to time and usually 'delete all'.

it is not a perfect world, but best around so far.

--

tc,hago.

.

Ed Greshko 07-29-2008 01:58 AM

g wrote:

Ed Greshko wrote:
<snip>

Adding to work load. And I don't use tbird filters.

they can come in handy tho for what gets thru spam filtering.

I am well aware of tbird and its filtering. I have other methods that I
prefer to use.

*All* of my spam filtering is handled by automated processes. So, "to
me" the need to manually add filters *is* more trouble. You can't
dispute how I feel.

no dispute. but manual filtering does come in handy. especially when
it comes to cleaning up a tech list.

As I said, I do use another manual method. I just don't appreciate having
to invoke it when it is avoidable.

[...]

It is good that tbird filters work for you.

Gene Heskett 07-29-2008 02:18 AM

Filtering was: Can I get a word in edgewise here, puhlease?

On Monday 28 July 2008, Ed Greshko wrote:

How the heck did my subject line get into this thread? This has absolutely
zip to do with my help request.

>g wrote:
>> Ed Greshko wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Adding to work load. And I don't use tbird filters.
>>
>> they can come in handy tho for what gets thru spam filtering.
>
>I am well aware of tbird and its filtering. I have other methods that I
>prefer to use.
>
>>> *All* of my spam filtering is handled by automated processes. So, "to
>>> me" the need to manually add filters *is* more trouble. You can't
>>> dispute how I feel.
>>
>> no dispute. but manual filtering does come in handy. especially when
>> it comes to cleaning up a tech list.
>
>As I said, I do use another manual method. I just don't appreciate having
>to invoke it when it is avoidable.
>
>>> sb stands for "Shit for Brains"?
>>
>> lol. actually, i was using it for 'soap box'. but i guess your
>> interpretation could apply. [now i am going to catch it]
>>
>>> They should not be placed in the position in the first place, IMHO.
>>
>> again, 100%. but it is a fact of a tech support list that there will
>> be posters with nothing better to do than load down a list.
>>
>> if they want to bash heads, it would be more effective/affective if
>> they would do it in a 'chat' some where. then they could interrupt
>> each other and make it more to their level.
>>
>>> I have seen people using procmail filtering and weights and malformed
>>> rules getting mail discarded when they did not intend it to be so.
>>
>> all a part of a learning curve that has to be dealt with. and a reason
>> that i do all my additional filtering with tbird.
>>
>> with tbird, i set up filtering for tech list and non tech list, friends
>> and relatives, all by sender address. then i filter for html, which is
>> used by majority of spammers. what is left goes to 'occupant' which i
>> will check for time to time and usually 'delete all'.
>>
>> it is not a perfect world, but best around so far.
>
>It is good that tbird filters work for you.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

g 07-29-2008 02:35 AM

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2008, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
> How the heck did my subject line get into this thread? This has
> absolutely zip to do with my help request.

By stupidity. Your "help request" morphed into a discussion on filtering
but I failed to ensure that a new thread resulted.

BTW, your "Subject" line had absolutely zip to do with you help request.
You know better.