Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Anne Wilson

Default New support lists?

On Monday 28 July 2008 20:15:54 Mike Chambers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Reading the last couple emails from another thread on maybe new list or
> two, and to segregate the content to them was brought up and have couple
> new list names that might help make sense or to get the ball rolling?
>
> fedora-list(this one) - General Fedora talk, opinions, suggestions,
> comments, distro wars, all that type stuff not support related.
>
> fedora-user-list or fedora-support-list - Bug references, problems with
> software, computer won't boot, email don't work, firefox plugins not
> working, etc.. where problems are asked about and responded to on
> *official releases*.
>
> fedora-testers-list - as is, for testing alpha, beta, preview, rc
> releases when preparing a new release.
>
> fedora-devel-list - as is, for development of fedora, and the rest that
> is currently used on that list.
>
> See the url below for currently created lists already being used..

> Would this help make things better?

In theory, yes. In practice, not unless there is moderator support for making
sure that non-support threads go to the relevant list.

Anne

Old 07-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 28 July 2008 20:22:42 Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Just look at the big thread

Do we have to?

Anne

Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Anders Karlsson

* Mike Chambers <mike@miketc.net> [20080728 21:16]:
> Hi all,
>
> Reading the last couple emails from another thread on maybe new list or
> two, and to segregate the content to them was brought up and have couple
> new list names that might help make sense or to get the ball rolling?
>
> fedora-list(this one) - General Fedora talk, opinions, suggestions,
> comments, distro wars, all that type stuff not support related.
>
> fedora-user-list or fedora-support-list - Bug references, problems with
> software, computer won't boot, email don't work, firefox plugins not
> working, etc.. where problems are asked about and responded to on
> *official releases*.

+1 , but you knew that I'd say that anyway.

A list dedicated to support would make a lot of sense, keeping it
factual and dedicated to the support topic and purpose.

Already seen that there is opposition to this idea, citing "too many
lists", but I don't see that. Volume of traffic across the lists
should be about the same for those that would want both. It would
allow those interested in actually helping people to focus on just
that, and those interested in advocacy or more generic talk to focus
on that.

It is a logical split.

> fedora-testers-list - as is, for testing alpha, beta, preview, rc
> releases when preparing a new release.
>
> fedora-devel-list - as is, for development of fedora, and the rest that
> is currently used on that list.
>
> See the url below for currently created lists already being used..

> Would this help make things better?

IMHO, yes.

/Anders

Old 07-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Anders Karlsson

* Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> [20080728 21:48]:
> On Monday 28 July 2008 20:15:54 Mike Chambers wrote:
[snip]
> > Would this help make things better?
> >
> In theory, yes. In practice, not unless there is moderator support for making
> sure that non-support threads go to the relevant list.

I'm sure we could manage that.

/Anders

Old 07-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 28 July 2008 23:08:15 Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 22:04 +0200, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> > * Anne Wilson <cannewilson@googlemail.com> [20080728 21:48]:
> > > On Monday 28 July 2008 20:15:54 Mike Chambers wrote:
> >
> > [snip]

> > > In theory, yes. In practice, not unless there is moderator support for
> > > making sure that non-support threads go to the relevant list.
> >
> > I'm sure we could manage that.
> >
> > /Anders
>
> I don't think we could handle that. This split is a really bad idea.

For some of us it is an excellent idea

Anne

Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 28 July 2008 23:04:20 Aaron Konstam wrote:
> No but it explains why this list has become more useless, in that my
> questions are not answered. The redhat/fedora discussion has existed on
> a single list for ove a decade and a half. Why does it need to be broken
> up now?

Because there used to be 95% support and 5% chat. Now it's the reverse

Anne

Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 14:15 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Reading the last couple emails from another thread on maybe new list or
> two, and to segregate the content to them was brought up and have couple
> new list names that might help make sense or to get the ball rolling?
>
> fedora-list(this one) - General Fedora talk, opinions, suggestions,
> comments, distro wars, all that type stuff not support related.
>
> fedora-user-list or fedora-support-list - Bug references, problems with
> software, computer won't boot, email don't work, firefox plugins not
> working, etc.. where problems are asked about and responded to on
> *official releases*.
>
> fedora-testers-list - as is, for testing alpha, beta, preview, rc
> releases when preparing a new release.
>
> fedora-devel-list - as is, for development of fedora, and the rest that
> is currently used on that list.
>
> See the url below for currently created lists already being used..

> Would this help make things better?

No but it explains why this list has become more useless, in that my
questions are not answered. The redhat/fedora discussion has existed on
a single list for ove a decade and a half. Why does it need to be broken
up now?
I am just frustrated.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Aaron Konstam

Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 14:15 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Reading the last couple emails from another thread on maybe new list or
> two, and to segregate the content to them was brought up and have couple
> new list names that might help make sense or to get the ball rolling?
>
> fedora-list(this one) - General Fedora talk, opinions, suggestions,
> comments, distro wars, all that type stuff not support related.
>
> fedora-user-list or fedora-support-list - Bug references, problems with
> software, computer won't boot, email don't work, firefox plugins not
> working, etc.. where problems are asked about and responded to on
> *official releases*.
>
> fedora-testers-list - as is, for testing alpha, beta, preview, rc
> releases when preparing a new release.
>
> fedora-devel-list - as is, for development of fedora, and the rest that
> is currently used on that list.
>
> See the url below for currently created lists already being used..

> Would this help make things better?
The above address is hardd to bring up without the correct certificate.
I was glad to see there is no fedora-user-list.