Old 07-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Anne Wilson

Default mount windows share

On Monday 28 July 2008 20:07:50 Seann Clark wrote:
> Looking at the list
> replies it looks like they are talking of mounting a share in Windows...

I've no idea why, but as far as I know you can't use samba client without
setting up samba server.

Anne

Old 07-28-2008, 07:49 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 20:44 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2008 20:07:50 Seann Clark wrote:
> > Looking at the list
> > replies it looks like they are talking of mounting a share in Windows...
>
> I've no idea why, but as far as I know you can't use samba client without
> setting up samba server.
----
disabuse yourself of that notion...it is wrong.

Craig

Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Seann Clark

Anne Wilson wrote:

On Monday 28 July 2008 20:07:50 Seann Clark wrote:

Looking at the list
replies it looks like they are talking of mounting a share in Windows...

I've no idea why, but as far as I know you can't use samba client without
setting up samba server.

Anne

That is strange. I don't have the SMB server running on my PS3 and I
have no problem using the cifs to mount shares. It may be based on the
version as well, but I don't know. My primary share system is a Samba
PDC, so mounting from that isn't a problem, so I have a music folder at
/var/media/music and have it shared in the Windows world as /music and I
can mount that in both linux and windows using SMB.

On the other side of things, my secondary server that doesn't have Samba
configured or running can mount both that share, and /windowsbox/c$
among other share.

~Seann

Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 21:38 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2008 20:49, Craig White wrote:
> > >
> > > I've no idea why, but as far as I know you can't use samba client without
> > > setting up samba server.
> >
> > ----
> > disabuse yourself of that notion...it is wrong.
> >
> Maybe he just meant that you can't install the client alone. Is that so?
----
rpm -q --whatprovides /sbin/mount.cifs
samba-client-3.2.0-2.17.fc9.i386

so samba-client package is required to mount -t cifs but beyond that, no
configuration is needed.

Craig

Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Anne Wilson

Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 28 July 2008 20:56, Seann Clark wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 28 July 2008 20:07:50 Seann Clark wrote:
> >> Looking at the list
> >> replies it looks like they are talking of mounting a share in Windows...
> >
> > I've no idea why, but as far as I know you can't use samba client without
> > setting up samba server.
> >
> > Anne
>
> That is strange. I don't have the SMB server running on my PS3 and I
> have no problem using the cifs to mount shares. It may be based on the
> version as well, but I don't know.

Of course the other possibilty is that in an older version both server and
client ha to be installed, or of course my informant may have been simply
wrong. I don't know.

Anne