Old 07-28-2008, 06:36 PM
"David Hláčik"

Default mount windows share

Thanks, but this unfortunately did not solved my problem.

Regards,

David

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Armin <feng.shaun@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday 28 July 2008 15:02:37 David Hláčik wrote:

> Hello, how to mount windows share from Fedora 9 ?

> using places ... connect to server ... does not work becouse of :

> *- can't display location smb:// ... no application registered to hande

> this request.

> Thanks for help!

> David

I'm not sure, but try installing 'samba' (without quotes).

$ su -c 'yum install samba'

--

Armin

Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 PM
Anne Wilson

On Monday 28 July 2008 19:36:33 David Hláčik wrote:
> Thanks, but this unfortunately did not solved my problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> David
>
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 8:10 PM, Armin <feng.shaun@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 28 July 2008 15:02:37 David Hláčik wrote:
> > > Hello, how to mount windows share from Fedora 9 ?
> > >
> > > using places ... connect to server ... does not work becouse of :
> > > - can't display location smb:// ... no application registered to hande
> > > this request.
> > >
> > > Thanks for help!
> > >
> > > David
> >
> > I'm not sure, but try installing 'samba' (without quotes).
> >
> > $ su -c 'yum install samba'

Did you, as root, edit /etc/samba/smb.conf?

It's well-commented, and much can be left as defaults - probably best to,
unless you know what you are doing - but you must rename the workgroup to
match the windows one.

HTH

Anne

Old 07-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Seann Clark

Anne Wilson wrote:

Thanks, but this unfortunately did not solved my problem.

Regards,

David

Hello, how to mount windows share from Fedora 9 ?

using places ... connect to server ... does not work becouse of :
- can't display location smb:// ... no application registered to hande
this request.

Thanks for help!

David

I'm not sure, but try installing 'samba' (without quotes).

$ su -c 'yum install samba'

Did you, as root, edit /etc/samba/smb.conf?

It's well-commented, and much can be left as defaults - probably best to,
unless you know what you are doing - but you must rename the workgroup to
match the windows one.

HTH

Anne

I am rather amazed, I am not seeing the new 'documented' way of doing
this (I learned the hard way to command line it)

For a full mount:
mount -t cifs //yourwindows/share /mnt/windows_share
--or--
mount -t cifs //yourwindows/share /mnt/windows_share -ouser=joeuser

both work on mounting on most systems (I use that command to mount my
media files for playback on my PS3 so I can watch movies from my network
on my TV) and it works well...

Not as quick as a GUI option, but it works.

For mounting a linux share in Windows, that is where you would really
use the Samba Server, and get the joy of configuring shares in smb.conf.
All depends on what direction you want to go. Looking at the list
replies it looks like they are talking of mounting a share in Windows...

~Seann

Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 PM
"David Hláčik"

Hi,

thank you all very much for answers!

Yeah, so i will do it manually, i was just really curious, how-come that Places - Connect to Server in gnome does not work, but as i can see, problem is that this is not implemented or something. It is working to some one?

Thanks in advance!

David

Thanks, but this unfortunately did not solved my problem.

Regards,

David

Hello, how to mount windows share from Fedora 9 ?

using places ... connect to server ... does not work becouse of :

*- can't display location smb:// ... no application registered to hande

this request.

Thanks for help!

David

* * * *

I'm not sure, but try installing 'samba' (without quotes).

$ su -c 'yum install samba'

* * *

*