Old 07-28-2008, 06:06 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default updating my "getting started with QEMU under fedora" howto

i was going to take what i thought was a couple minutes and update
my writeup on QEMU under fedora:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/QEMU

for fedora 9 but, apparently, it's not going to be a simple s/8/9/g.

there doesn't appear to be a (livna) kqemu-kmdl package anymore;
instead, it's kmod-kqemu. then there's this akmod-kqemu package there
as well, which i've never seen before.

i'm sure it won't take long to sort out the new packages, but if
this has already been written up somewhere for f9, i'd be fine with
that. otherwise, i'll do it myself.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Have classroom, will lecture.

http://crashcourse.ca Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Phil Meyer

--

I am not clear on the differences between the Livna version and the
Fedora version.

# yum install kvm qemu

That will get both the kvm capable qemu (kvm) and the normal one.

As for the kernel modules, intel-kvm and amd-kvm are both part of the
main stream kernel since 2.6.20.

What do the Livna versions offer?

Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Phil Meyer wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i was going to take what i thought was a couple minutes and update
> > my writeup on QEMU under fedora:
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/QEMU
> >
> > for fedora 9 but, apparently, it's not going to be a simple s/8/9/g.
> >
> > there doesn't appear to be a (livna) kqemu-kmdl package anymore;
> > instead, it's kmod-kqemu. then there's this akmod-kqemu package there
> > as well, which i've never seen before.
> >
> > i'm sure it won't take long to sort out the new packages, but if
> > this has already been written up somewhere for f9, i'd be fine with
> > that. otherwise, i'll do it myself.
> >
> > rday
> > --
> >

> I am not clear on the differences between the Livna version and the
> Fedora version.
>
> # yum install kvm qemu
>
> That will get both the kvm capable qemu (kvm) and the normal one.
>
> As for the kernel modules, intel-kvm and amd-kvm are both part of
> the main stream kernel since 2.6.20.
>
> What do the Livna versions offer?

not sure -- i'll take a closer look at this later and see what's
relevant and what isn't.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:16 AM
Axel Thimm

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:06:24PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i was going to take what i thought was a couple minutes and update
> my writeup on QEMU under fedora:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/QEMU
>
> for fedora 9 but, apparently, it's not going to be a simple s/8/9/g.
>
> there doesn't appear to be a (livna) kqemu-kmdl package anymore;
> instead, it's kmod-kqemu. then there's this akmod-kqemu package there
> as well, which i've never seen before.
>
> i'm sure it won't take long to sort out the new packages, but if
> this has already been written up somewhere for f9, i'd be fine with
> that. otherwise, i'll do it myself.

The URL above uses ATrpms' kmdl packages for Fedora 8 and indeed the
recipe for Fedora 9 would be s/8/9/g.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Old 07-29-2008, 10:11 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Axel Thimm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 02:06:24PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > i was going to take what i thought was a couple minutes and update
> > my writeup on QEMU under fedora:
> >
> > http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/QEMU
> >
> > for fedora 9 but, apparently, it's not going to be a simple s/8/9/g.
> >
> > there doesn't appear to be a (livna) kqemu-kmdl package anymore;
> > instead, it's kmod-kqemu. then there's this akmod-kqemu package there
> > as well, which i've never seen before.
> >
> > i'm sure it won't take long to sort out the new packages, but if
> > this has already been written up somewhere for f9, i'd be fine with
> > that. otherwise, i'll do it myself.
>
> The URL above uses ATrpms' kmdl packages for Fedora 8 and indeed the
> recipe for Fedora 9 would be s/8/9/g.

ah, i had completely forgotten that those were ATrpms packages, axel.
i'll review and decide which packages to use for the rewrite. thanks.

rday

p.s. refresh my memory, axel, if you would -- are your AT packages
compatible with livna packages? would there be any difference in
which qemu packages i used that aren't available in the stock fedora
repo?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Axel Thimm

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 06:11:42AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Axel Thimm wrote:
> p.s. refresh my memory, axel, if you would -- are your AT packages
> compatible with livna packages?

It often depends on the livna packager. Suffice it to say that I've
been a mirror for livna for several years now, so actually my
intentions were to be compatible. But there are many cases were this
didn't happen.

> would there be any difference in which qemu packages i used that
> aren't available in the stock fedora repo?

The packages at ATrpms are not conflicting with the stock repo or
replacing anything. They are "just" accelerating qemu. E.g. you will
need the Fedora stock qemu to get started anyway, and you can
(optionally) add kqemu kmdls to speed it up.

http://bellard.org/qemu/kqemu-tech.html

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net