Old 07-28-2008, 04:57 PM
"David Hláčik"

Default change default language (localization)

Hello all,

i have installed Fedora 9 with default english language. Now i want to switch to "Czech Language".

How can i do that :

1) I want to have same packages like if i have choosed Czech Language during install

2) also i have problem with Firefox and setting fonts for "Czech - cs_CZ language" . No one from list of font groups - even central european does not change fonts on Czech sites.

Thanks in advance!

David

Old 07-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 18:57 +0200, David Hláčik wrote:

> i have installed Fedora 9 with default english language. Now i want to
> switch to "Czech Language".

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be quite a difficult
task to do that afterwards. It was better to install with all the
languages that you thought you might need selected. You might want to
study the anaconda script for the install disc, and see what it does
when you choose your own languages.

At the logon screen, you can change languages. But that's a nuisance to
do for multiple users. You can yum install system-config-language to
set the default language for the system, then let individual users
change away from your default, if they need to.

But that's just part of your issue.

> How can i do that :
>
> 1) I want to have same packages like if i have choosed Czech Language
> during install

>From what I've seen, some multi-language supporting programs often
install with all the languages, in the first place. That's why some of
the packages are so big (e.g. Firefox). Others do have separate
packages for different languages (e.g. KDE, OpenOffice). You could
fetch a list and filter it for your language/country names in the
packages. Or just manually install a few extra packages.

Have a look at a Fedora mirror, and trawl through the "everything"
collection of packages. If you're going to yum install
openoffice.org-langpack-cs_CZ (for example), yum will install any
updated packages, if there are any, automatically.

At a quick glance, I can see three obvious packages:
kde-i18n-Czech
kde-l10n-Czech
openoffice.org-langpack-cs_CZ

You could also try a yum search against the same terms:
yum search *czech*
yum search *cs_cz*

> 2) also i have problem with Firefox and setting fonts for "Czech -
> cs_CZ language" . No one from list of font groups - even central
> european does not change fonts on Czech sites.

Be sure to pick the languages that you can read in the web browser
configuration, and list them in order of preference. Any website that
uses content negotiation will go by what your browser says you can read.
You'll still strike problems with badly authored websites (both in
offering you other languages, and displaying mangled texts). There's no
good solution for sorting out messed up websites.

You might want to install all, or more of, the foreign fonts, too. I've
done that in the past. Although I can't read most of them, it's better
to see webpages in their proper characters, rather than as a pile of
codes.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Ed Greshko

David Hláčik wrote:

Hello all,

i have installed Fedora 9 with default english language. Now i want to
switch to "Czech Language".

How can i do that :

To have Czech as the default language you can simply edit
/etc/sysconfig/i18n to change it to cs_CZ.UTF-8. The GUI for both KDE and
GNOME would be then switched after a reboot. Is that what you are after?

Ed

1) I want to have same packages like if i have choosed Czech Language
during install
2) also i have problem with Firefox and setting fonts for "Czech - cs_CZ
language" . No one from list of font groups - even central european does
not change fonts on Czech sites.

Thanks in advance!

David

--
Humor in the Court:
Q: What is your relationship with the plaintiff?

Old 07-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Anders Karlsson

* Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> [20080729 09:52]:
> David Hláčik wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> i have installed Fedora 9 with default english language. Now i want to
>> switch to "Czech Language".
>>
>> How can i do that :
>
> To have Czech as the default language you can simply edit
> /etc/sysconfig/i18n to change it to cs_CZ.UTF-8. The GUI for both KDE
> and GNOME would be then switched after a reboot. Is that what you are
> after?

He also wants the language packages required for
this. system-config-language appears to provide a facility to do this
(i.e. it tells me it's talking to yum to download the right packages)
but I've not yet been able to verify it does the right thing.

I'm still testing to see if this is the way to go.

/Anders

Old 07-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Ed Greshko

David Hláčik wrote:

Hello all,

i have installed Fedora 9 with default english language. Now i want to
switch to "Czech Language".

How can i do that :
To have Czech as the default language you can simply edit
/etc/sysconfig/i18n to change it to cs_CZ.UTF-8. The GUI for both KDE
and GNOME would be then switched after a reboot. Is that what you are
after?

He also wants the language packages required for
this. system-config-language appears to provide a facility to do this
(i.e. it tells me it's talking to yum to download the right packages)
but I've not yet been able to verify it does the right thing.

I'm still testing to see if this is the way to go.

That's good that you're doing that. I just realized that was the second
half of his question and I just was about to check it out since I realized I
didn't know how to do it in F9. :-( I tend to enable all languages at install.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Anders Karlsson

* Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> [20080729 10:48]:
> Anders Karlsson wrote:
>> * Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> [20080729 09:52]:

>>> To have Czech as the default language you can simply edit
>>> /etc/sysconfig/i18n to change it to cs_CZ.UTF-8. The GUI for both
>>> KDE and GNOME would be then switched after a reboot. Is that what
>>> you are after?
>>
>> He also wants the language packages required for
>> this. system-config-language appears to provide a facility to do this
>> (i.e. it tells me it's talking to yum to download the right packages)
>> but I've not yet been able to verify it does the right thing.
>>
>> I'm still testing to see if this is the way to go.
>
> That's good that you're doing that. I just realized that was the second
> half of his question and I just was about to check it out since I
> realized I didn't know how to do it in F9. :-( I tend to enable all
> languages at install.

Thanks. I'm not the devil in disguise as some would like to make me
out to be.

system-config-language is the way to go, and you can then pick your
language from the GDM screen. It does not install the language packs
for Open Office, KDE or some of the other bits however, so that
becomes a manual step as far as I can see.

I've flipped my system over in to swedish just to test this, and all
of Gnome plays ball anyway.

/Anders